APPALLING games list?

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

Commie_User

APPALLING games list?

Post by Commie_User » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:34 pm

Unless there's been a thread on this before, what do we say?

What's the worst of the BBC?

I nominate two. AUF WEDERSEHEN, PET because.. cos.... ARRGH!! A clunky, horrible unfunny mess.

Also, MATHS INVADERS. Oversize creatures come down with maths problems on their heads. You fire zeros at them and lose. I never figured if you had to fire the correct answers for them, or even how to enter them.

Yeah, who's laughing now.

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Re: APPALLING games list?

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:15 am

To be honest, there are so many ropey BBC games, it's hard to know where to begin. I think in part the reason is that it was so much easier to develop for than other platforms that it tended to attract a lot more amateur efforts. Only on the Beeb would you find published games with their cores written in Basic - not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but it's never going to look as swish as the sort of thing that was commonplace on the other platforms.

So, nominations - first one which springs to mind is Son of Blagger - I think it was a conversion, but it just doesn't work on the Beeb (actually with some clever hardware techniques, maybe it could've done). The tiny viewport and the miserable scrolling just make the whole thing painful. Green Beret on the Beeb is also horrible, the pace is all wrong, and it's impossible to get any fun out of it, no matter how nice it might superficially look.

I'm sure there are much worse though. Randomly browsing the archive in STH will probably turn up a few candidates without even trying :)

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:04 am

Oh, I don't know about that. There was some dire stuff (and lots of it) for the ZX Spectrum. The Amstrad CPC suffered from ports of Spectrum games where little or no effort was made to do more than the minimum to get them to run, so the games had (mostly) the same limitations as if they were running on a Spectrum...

Other computers also suffered with poor quality software ports :(

So plenty of rubbish all round.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

danielj

Post by danielj » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:04 am

Cassette 50.

Prime

Post by Prime » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:56 am

Rich Talbot-Watkins wrote:To be honest, there are so many ropey BBC games, it's hard to know where to begin. I think in part the reason is that it was so much easier to develop for than other platforms that it tended to attract a lot more amateur efforts. Only on the Beeb would you find published games with their cores written in Basic - not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but it's never going to look as swish as the sort of thing that was commonplace on the other platforms.
Humm off the top of my head I can think of at least two Dragon 32 games written in basic : "Super Spy" and "Star Trek", both not bad games actually but as you can imagine fast graphics where not their strongpoint. Mind it was easy to cheat in "Star Trek", you could break into the program and give yourself 1E+38 energy, restart the program and just blast the Klingons with 5000 unit of energy every time, almost garanteed victory :)

As for crap beeb games, not sure, not played enough to really pass an opinion.

Cheers.

Phill.

sydney

Post by sydney » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:15 am

danielj wrote:Cassette 50.
I declare Daniel the winner.

Licensed to kill was pretty bad.

Commie_User

Post by Commie_User » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:23 pm

Oh you are so right!

I meant real games sold in real shops, purporting to be real deals. And CASSETTE 50 nabs it.

The Beeb saw games WAY worse than Action 52 on the NES. Glad we seemed to have missed it in the UK.

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:33 pm

Cassette 50 was appalling, but it contained 50 games! You get what you pay for.

For the worst full price game I vote Trench by Virgin.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:59 pm

There's a constantly changing list of bad games for the Beeb (and other machines) on Everygamegoing:

http://www.everygamegoing.com/bottom_ga ... ne_001.php

At time of writing, most loathed games for the Beeb are tied between:

Auf Wiedersehen Pet
Hercules
Tarzan
Trench

Licensed To Kill was actually an Electron only game or pretty sure it'd make the cut too! ;-)

sweh

Post by sweh » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:54 pm

Rgds
Stephen

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:05 pm

I was only a nipper at the time, and we were a bit hard up when I was a kid, so we didn't buy that many "full-price" games; and most of them were at least pretty good Superior Software games. I think the worst game I remember getting on a tape was the Elk version of Night Strike. There's nothing like a commercially available game where one of the bad guys also gets to own the text cursor. And on the original Electron version, BREAKing prompts the game to assume you're trying to pirate it.
Repton Shoes!

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:54 am

I got 5 Star Games, a compilation by Beau Jolly for my birthday in 1985. It contained "Geoff Capes Strongman", the worst game ever. I think it was the only BBC Game I ever got that was totally unplayable. The buggiest game I remember from BITD was probably "Gyroscope" by Melbourne House.

sydney

Post by sydney » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:25 am

Night strike is also terrible but I seem to remember quite enjoying Geoff capes.

Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:40 pm

Second for Son of Blagger... truly a letdown after Blagger! Why they tiny scrolling window... horribly slow too. :(

poink

Post by poink » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:31 am

Dethmunk wrote:Second for Son of Blagger... truly a letdown after Blagger! Why they tiny scrolling window... horribly slow too. :(
I think the tiny scroll area is because the C64 original did it that way. I'm sure it's possible to get the hardware to do better scrolling (I believe Exile's is better), although it would probably be a little jerky - it's unfair to expect the author of this to know about smooth scrolling using vertical rupture at thje time.

The ZX Spectrum version, which does pause and scroll, and has a larger play area looks like a contender for the best version, so a BBC version, without the colour clash, could have been very nice indeed.

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:57 am

Kecske Bak wrote:I got 5 Star Games, a compilation by Beau Jolly for my birthday in 1985. It contained "Geoff Capes Strongman", the worst game ever. I think it was the only BBC Game I ever got that was totally unplayable.
Ah yeah - this as well! If you're not sure whether the game has crashed or not, there's a problem...
Repton Shoes!

Commie_User

Post by Commie_User » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:53 pm

What was so bad about Pedro? It has its fans: http://www.mobygames.com/game/pedro

Also, it doesn't seem too hard to control. I'm bad at virtually any keyboard-only controls but what I can do seems fluid. The only reason I could fault it is because it lacks joystick control.

(Damn you, BBC programmers. What WAS it about joysticks that made you omit compatibility? Gave you the lurgey, did they?)

Jeremy Grayson

Post by Jeremy Grayson » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:30 pm

I'd call Pedro fundamentally flawed rather than appalling per se. The gameplay mechanism was such that after a few levels the game didn't just fail to get any harder - it became impossible to die!

Not one I revisit, and one of three titles already listed here - along with Cassette 50 and Hercules - which went unsold from me little tape shop at ABug today. Where these are concerned, I honestly don't blame you :-D

As for other nominations for this list, mind if I put forward the no-budget ripoff of Alien8, Blue Ribbon's utterly wretched Return Of R2?

Virgin have already got one mention in this list, but Plankwalk is well worth securing them another.

gc
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive
* Exhibitor at CG-Expo 2004, 2005
* Elite ranking: milquetoast

poink

Post by poink » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:00 pm

Jeremy Grayson wrote:I'd call Pedro fundamentally flawed rather than appalling per se. The gameplay mechanism was such that after a few levels the game didn't just fail to get any harder - it became impossible to die!
Agreed, it doesn't seem appalling...there is scope for at least some entertainment. I'd say 'Cheese' was a similar game that is worse, (but it's still not bad enough IMHO - it runs, there's still something to play etc.,)

There's actually a few games that are considered 'outstanding' that have a similar problem that the player becomes unable to lose, other than from actively trying to. OTOH, in Transport Tycoon (IBM PC), you frequently end up making enough money in the later stages that you'd actively have to try to fail. (Of course, Pedro isn't a brilliant game whilst there's still a challenge remaining.)

Jeremy Grayson

Post by Jeremy Grayson » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:22 am

Mr Shifter by MRM is another one where losing becomes an impossibility after a while. Not quite sure what happened there.

gc
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive
* Exhibitor at CG-Expo 2004, 2005
* Elite ranking: milquetoast

Commie_User

Post by Commie_User » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:53 am

poink wrote:OTOH, in Transport Tycoon (IBM PC), you frequently end up making enough money in the later stages that you'd actively have to try to fail.
If Donald Trump is as much the buffoon as critics claim, that could be how life works!

And PLEASE tell me Mr. Shifter's about this:

algenon_iii

Post by algenon_iii » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:26 pm

sydney wrote:
danielj wrote:Cassette 50.
I declare Daniel the winner.

Licensed to kill was pretty bad.
So bad it managed to make the book "Terrible old games you've probably never heard of".

Trench for the BEEB made the book as well (personally I'd never heard of this game).

poink

Post by poink » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:18 pm

Commie_User wrote:If Donald Trump is as much the buffoon as critics claim, that could be how life works!
If you've got enough money...it pretty much is. If you were fortunate enough to get a £8 million lottery win, and you just shoved that into a current account in the UK, then, even at 1% interest (which means they're ripping you off BTW), you'd be looking at £80,000 interest a year. With a basic knowledge of a profit and loss account, this can be extended to the figures Trump has claimed...but this is already way off topic.
Commie_User wrote:And PLEASE tell me Mr. Shifter's about this:
Spoilers: It's not.