Most under rated games

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

Lardo Boffin

Most under rated games

Post by Lardo Boffin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:46 pm

So we all know Elite, Exile, Thrust, Chuckie Egg and many others are considered the best games on the Beeb but which games don't ever come up on this type of top games list that you feel should?

For me it is Ghouls - great atmospheric sound, reasonable graphics and mm precision between you and instant death! Great loading music when loaded from tape.

Oh and it laughs at you when you die!

Any other suggestions?

Lardo
Atom, issue 5
Elk
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
USA Model B
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA

Kecske Bak

Re: Most under rated games

Post by Kecske Bak » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:53 pm

Elixir - wonderful idea. A 2D vector graphics platform game, the sort of thing that later would be done in countless Flash games, so very much ahead of its time. I remember the lipsticks and bottles in chemists shops back in the 70s and the game really brings back nostalgic memories of going to places like Boots as a child. It had a couple of bugs, admittedly, but it stands alone as something very different and innovative.

Bonecruncher - beautifully programmed. Flawless conversion, really. And an enormous amount of fun.

chrisn

Post by chrisn » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:22 pm

Good question. Citadel gets a lot of attention as an arcade adventure, but I think Thunderstruck 2 is really good, the graphics, gameplay, puzzles area all great.

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:26 pm

My nomination would be Plankwalk.

No, really!

I used to love this game! I probably wasted hours on it as a kid. It's hard to believe they actually sold it for money, but there's just something about it that kept me going back to it again and again. I think if you were to remake it with smooth vertical scrolling and actual decent graphics, it just wouldn't be the same.

Agree about Ghouls as well - I always thought the sound was really well done. Though it was just far too hard and fiddly for me to really enjoy.

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:28 pm

Going back to more credible suggestions, I always had a soft spot for Labyrinth too. Wasn't one of Acornsoft's big titles, but it had a certain something.

joachim

Post by joachim » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:59 pm

Rubble Trouble may be just a single-screen arcade game, but is very slick and playable and has great music, and the escalating difficulty levels and unique alternative play modes "Hayfield" and "Vanishing" keep it interesting even for experienced players without ever becoming stupidly impossible.

Also Boxer is pretty good despite being a pixel-perfect-jump-timing genre. I never got into its twins Smash And Grab and Firebug (and apparently there's a fourth one, Sorcery) so much though.
Last edited by joachim on Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:10 pm

Rich Talbot-Watkins wrote:My nomination would be Plankwalk.

No, really!

I used to love this game! I probably wasted hours on it as a kid. It's hard to believe they actually sold it for money, but there's just something about it that kept me going back to it again and again. I think if you were to remake it with smooth vertical scrolling and actual decent graphics, it just wouldn't be the same.

Agree about Ghouls as well - I always thought the sound was really well done. Though it was just far too hard and fiddly for me to really enjoy.
It doesn't matter what the game was like - this is about enjoying a game regardless of the fact it could not be considered best of breed!

Part of my enjoyment of Ghouls was its difficulty and the sense of achievement of getting past any of the levels! I also felt that by not dying I was wiping the smile off that smug ghost's face...
Atom, issue 5
Elk
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Acorn 6502 coproc
USA Model B

jms2

Post by jms2 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:54 pm

There's a game called Emily where you're a witch. It's hard to describe but surprisingly well done.

RobC

Post by RobC » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:25 pm

jms2 wrote:There's a game called Emily where you're a witch. It's hard to describe but surprisingly well done.
Agreed - it's a Bomb Jack clone and is good fun to play.

I spent ages playing Match Day as a kid. Also loved playing Contraption.

Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:28 am

Cylon Attack. Quite a lot of people don't seem to know of this game. It is excellent. This and Chuckie Egg are AnF's very best imo. Cylon Attack had great controls and felt like it had inertia and capping 2 enemies with one shot at you slide the gunsight past was an awesome feeling. 8)

davidb

Post by davidb » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:33 am

Dethmunk wrote:Cylon Attack had great controls and felt like it had inertia and capping 2 enemies with one shot at you slide the gunsight past was an awesome feeling. 8)
I slightly prefer Ravage, which seems to be very much inspired by Cylon Attack. Both are worth looking at. :)

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:02 pm

Assuming Starship Command Imogen are part of the "well-rated" list... I don't know why, but I've always had a soft spot for Caveman Capers! It's the precursor to today's endless runners, but with music stolen from another game and terrible unexpected slowdown, but it's kind-a lovable for the graphics alone.
Repton Shoes!

Commie_User

Post by Commie_User » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:07 pm

I found Cylon an interesting, all-angle version of Battlezone. Bit disorienting as a result, which is probably why it's kept in the doldrums, out of the way.

cmj6502

Post by cmj6502 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:00 pm

I always liked Plan B, in all its mode 4 glory.

poink

Post by poink » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:20 pm

I've got a bit of a soft spot for Space Adventure, perhaps because it's one of the first games I had. If you're looking for something that's not brutally hard then worth a look. (It's perhaps even a bit easy, which is unfortunate as a bit more challenge would help the tension and atmosphere.)

Another more accessible game is Dare Devil Dennis, although, I've only really played the port to RISC OS.

In games I want to check out, apparently Starship Command holds up well.

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:55 pm

poink wrote:I've got a bit of a soft spot for Space Adventure, perhaps because it's one of the first games I had. If you're looking for something that's not brutally hard then worth a look. (It's perhaps even a bit easy, which is unfortunate as a bit more challenge would help the tension and atmosphere.)

Another more accessible game is Dare Devil Dennis, although, I've only really played the port to RISC OS.

In games I want to check out, apparently Starship Command holds up well.
Starship Command is a top game! I used to try and stick to the ship with the homing missiles. Shoot and then dodge for a while...
Atom, issue 5
Elk
USA Model B

Jeremy Grayson

Post by Jeremy Grayson » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:38 pm

RobC wrote:
jms2 wrote:There's a game called Emily where you're a witch. It's hard to describe but surprisingly well done.
Agreed - it's a Bomb Jack clone and is good fun to play.

I love Emily - a characterful clone of one of my favourite coin-ops.

I've spotted the love for Plankwalk on this thread moments after I've described it as appalling on another. Oops. Ah well, vive la difference! :-)

gc
* BBC gamer since 26/11/1984 - original hardware/software unless otherwise unavoidable
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive
* Exhibitor at CG-Expo 2004, 2005
* Elite ranking: soft chuff