Essential Electron games I should own...

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

Jimbo

Essential Electron games I should own...

Post by Jimbo » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:27 pm

As I have recently become a convert to the ways of the Electron I was wondering if you would be so kind as to make some recommendations regarding Must Have Games....

I have Overdrive and Crazee Racer both of which I find good fun, are there anymore Racers to recommend?

I enjoy titles like Manic Miner, Booty on those other 8bit systems, i see the Electron has plenty of flip screen platform games, what ones should I be getting?

I enjoy a lot of the popular 8bit gaming styles and need a bit of enlightening as to what my new machine is best at.

tricky

Re: Essential Electron games I should own...

Post by tricky » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:50 pm

I only had an electron for a week bitd and didn't really use it, but I would guess chickie egg has to be worth a blast and I think exile and firetrack might surprise you with what you can do on it. I would also try some of the acorn soft titles as they are usually pretty good, try planetoid, snapper and monsters.
Try castle raider by our own David Birdie Boddie for a more recent release.
It might be quicker to try them on emulator to see if you like them.

EDIT: Sorry David, the predictive text altered you name after I had typed it!
Last edited by tricky on Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

davidb

Post by davidb » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:40 pm

I just wrote a couple of articles (part1, part 2) covering Electron games that I think are worth looking at.

Jungle Journey and Castle Raider are available from the Retro Software site. :D

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:59 pm

Given your taste in games I think you should definitely get Acorn Electron Frak!, Omega Orb, Quest, Star Port and Spycat. You may well enjoy Citadel too.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:24 pm

Boffin2, but does not pop up that often.
Dare devil Dennis, moon raider, gauntlet, exile, gala force 1&2

could try E type for a racer game..
ImageImageImage

paradroid90

Post by paradroid90 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:13 pm

My favs are Plan B and Plan B 2, Cosmic Camoflage, HobGoblin,Ransack, Arcadians, Deathstar, Qwak, Starship Command, Inertia and Megaforce. Great little puzzler is Bonecruncher :-) You will enjoy the Elk. Great little machine and vastly underrated :-)
6502 Junkie :-)

Andrew_Waite

Post by Andrew_Waite » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:39 pm

Moonraider and Starship Command were two of my favourates.

I liked Ghouls and Zalaga too. One was a simple platform game, the other a shoot 'em up, but because both ran at high speed they really tested your reflexes.

Bandits at 3 O'clock was a great game for two people to play.

Elite is of course the elephant in the room !

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:44 pm

Repton and Elite :D

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:16 pm

Thanks guys, that is a pretty good bunch of titles to consider! I have Hobgoblin and I like that, Hobgoblin 2 is on my hit list as are a few amongst the titles you all have listed.
I am very much enjoying the Electron, it really is an underrated machine, it rarely gets mentioned in Retro Gamer but perhaps it's this under the radar/underdog vibe that attracted me in the first place!

I have played and indeed play most of the best titles on the Spectrum and Commodore 64 so I got into the Commodore 16 to discover some things that had escaped my notice, then I had a hankering for a machine somewhat removed from the Sinclair/Commodore area.

It was between the Acorn Electron and an Amstrad Cpc464 and the Acorn won out because I felt it would offer something different. My only regret is it took me this long to discover it. Still better late than never!!

To Davidb, thanks for all that info, I spent a good while this afternoon having a read of that, it looks very much like you are an author of games that appeal to me too. Many thanks for that and indeed to all of you here who have made me very welcome and have taken the time to be so friendly and helpful. What a fine forum this is!

davidb

Post by davidb » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:35 pm

You're welcome! I feel slightly bad about forgetting Moon Raider when I wrote my articles. Maybe I'll have to add a Part 3 to remedy that. :)

I hope you enjoy my games! :D

Commie_User

Post by Commie_User » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:42 pm

Arcadians and Snooker, both Acornsoft.

Buy the tapes in their original cardboard. Buy them!

Use the analogue joystick with Snooker. It's just the best feeling, right 'til the Playstation age of such games.

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:59 am

davidb wrote:You're welcome! I feel slightly bad about forgetting Moon Raider
Getting SimCity to work on the Electron was a fabulous achievement too.

MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:09 pm

If you like Manic Miner - perhaps give Mineshaft by Durrell a go, similar sort of game.

Unfortunately the Electron didn't have much in the way of racers and apart from overdrive + Crazee Rider I can't think of any other ones unless you could US drag racing and Stock car ?

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:18 pm

Kecske Bak wrote:Getting SimCity to work on the Electron was a fabulous achievement too.
True! I played a bit of that recently after getting it to load from a ROM cartridge, though I don't personally feel any nostalgia for that series of games. Another for the list, anyway! :D

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:40 pm

davidb wrote:I don't personally feel any nostalgia for that series of games. Another for the list, anyway! :D
I played it on a friend's C64 when it was released. I always regretted not buying the BBC version due to lack of funds. It deserved to sell more copies.

YuT666

Post by YuT666 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:22 pm

i really enjoyed Ravenskull and Citadel on the Electron ...

Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:18 pm

MUST HAVES: Chuckie Egg, Cylon Attack, Citadel, Elite, Exile, Thrust, Repton 1+2+3, Ravenskull, Hobgoblin 1+2, Quak, Codename: Droid, Spycat, Palace of Magic, Snapper, Hopper, Gauntlet (Defender Clone), Barbarian, FRAK!, Zalaga....

Others .... Felix in the Factory, Felix and the Evil Weevils, Cybertron, Star Drifter.

Adventures: Twin Kingdom Valley, The Lost Crystals, Village of Lost Souls, Rick Hanson, Myorem, Wheel of Fortune.

There's actually too many to remember.. :-)

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:41 pm

Would add Firetrack to that list, and also davidb's Castle Raider which is a lovely example of what the Electron's capable of, using a very clever trick to achieve smoother-than-smooth horizontal scrolling.

davidb

Post by davidb » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:01 pm

Thanks, Rich! If I get a chance sometime, I'd like to try and use the horizontal scrolling trick with the Firetrack vertical scrolling technique to do a four/eight directional scrolling game.