Sphinx Adventure

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

sphinx

Sphinx Adventure

Post by sphinx » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:52 am

Having found a link to play this game for the first time since my age required two numbers, I can't get out of the first 'block'. I have seen the text map by Andrew Hayes but can't find how to get to the Oriental Room and another map by Alan Hall Bellingham which shows links from Deep Crack and Lake but I don't know/can't remember how to get there. Anyone care to assist please?

daveejhitchins

Re: Sphinx Adventure

Post by daveejhitchins » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:04 am

Can't help you, as I've not played Sphinx . . . However, welcome to the Forum . . . I'm sure someone will be along shortly to assist.

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:38 am

To give the solution will spoil the puzzle. :o

Hints:
Throw water on the fire.
Wave your wand.
Map the locations (not the forest, that's best avoided). If locations have the same name then drop items to mark them.
Avoid the Pirate!

Good luck in your adventures here.
- John

Why do I keep collecting Acorn gear? I'm going to need a considerably bigger man-cave. :?

sphinx

Post by sphinx » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks, that bloody pirate nicked my bottle so having to start again. I managed to avoid him yesterday but at my second attempt I couldn't remember how I did it!

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:14 am

I never really got into this myself (my folks did when I was a young'n) but I think I still have an official "hint-list" from Acornsoft, along with a map. If this isn't already online, should I try and find / scan it?
Repton Shoes!

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:06 am

Jimbob wrote:I think I still have an official "hint-list" from Acornsoft, along with a map. If this isn't already online, should I try and find / scan it?
The map would be interesting to see (though some are already online).

The hints are here:
:idea:

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:11 pm

sphinx wrote:Thanks, that bloody pirate nicked my bottle so having to start again. I managed to avoid him yesterday but at my second attempt I couldn't remember how I did it!
Make a map and you will see the way to go to avoid the pirate. Making the map is much more fun than just using one from the internet. :D
- John

Why do I keep collecting Acorn gear? I'm going to need a considerably bigger man-cave. :?

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:28 am

Incidentally, I found this in the issue of Electron User that also has a partial map of Sphinx Adventure, and was amused enough to post it here:
image.jpeg
Excerpt from Electron User magazine (Vol. 5, No. 10, 1988)
:)

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:13 am

You're quite right, there some - possibly better - maps already out there. Also (and I should have learned this lesson by now) I haven't yet found where I put it!* I'm pretty sure it's in the corner of my bookcase somewhere - it is slightly different from the ones on STH etc., and would be good to archive it.

*I should've made a map

UPDATE: Yeah, those hints you linked to are the ones that came in the envelope.
I've scanned in the maps sent;
the illustrative one is at https://66.media.tumblr.com/7bd6ffe26b2 ... 1_1280.png
and the diagrammatic one is at https://67.media.tumblr.com/6ced3f5ab0b ... 2_1280.png
The bad photocopy quality was as we got them! But I thought I should upload these as a bit of AcornSoft history. Tumblr of course "manages" the image size - I do have higher resolution versions if anyone thinks these should be archived anywhere.

But, if you're actually wanting to use a map, definitely use Carol Pedder's map at http://www.stairwaytohell.com/gamehelp/ ... re-CP.html. It's legible and much more logical (although a bit of me wants to actually try and get all the Easts/Wests etc. in a logical position).
Repton Shoes!

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:36 am

Jimbob wrote:I've scanned in the maps sent; the illustrative one is at https://66.media.tumblr.com/7bd6ffe26b2 ... 1_1280.png
and the diagrammatic one is at https://67.media.tumblr.com/6ced3f5ab0b ... 2_1280.png
The bad photocopy quality was as we got them! But I thought I should upload these as a bit of AcornSoft history. Tumblr of course "manages" the image size - I do have higher resolution versions if anyone thinks these should be archived anywhere.
Yes, please upload the full-res versions. The site imgur.com should preserve the original images if they're too big to be uploaded here. Thank you!

=D>

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:10 am

Repton Shoes!