Acornsoft Elite

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

Lardo Boffin

Acornsoft Elite

Post by Lardo Boffin » Tue May 10, 2016 10:40 pm

Hello all

I now have three versions of Acornsoft Elite for the model B:-

1) Cassette (on its way)
2) Standard 5.25" disc
3) Tube / Master enhanced disc version

Are there any others? I know there was an electron version but I don't have an electron so not fussed about getting one of those, although I probably will... I am also pretty sure that Superior Soft released it as well?

I would quite like to have one complete collection of Acornsoft Elite so am interested to know if I am missing anything?

Thanks

Lardo
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
BBC Master

tricky

Re: Acornsoft Elite

Post by tricky » Tue May 10, 2016 11:20 pm

I don't remember which flavour of beeb it was for, but I'm fairly sure that there was a modded version that you could buy different ships etc

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed May 11, 2016 4:59 am

Elite A: http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/bbc/

It was a hacked about version :)

d.

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Wed May 11, 2016 5:15 am

There's a separate Master Compact version: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9230
Paul

RobC

Post by RobC » Wed May 11, 2016 6:14 am

Lardo Boffin wrote:I am also pretty sure that Superior Soft released it as well?
Yes - I think they re-released three versions: tape, 5.25" disc and 3.5" disc. I have the Superior 5.25" disc and I think that it contains both the standard and enhanced versions.

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Wed May 11, 2016 7:46 am

danielj wrote:Elite A: http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/bbc/

It was a hacked about version :)

d.
Thanks Daniel - I have downloaded this version now. I take it that this was never released?

I have physical copies of the three mentioned, photo below. My disc version box is a little trashed now which is a pity. Will find out what state the cassette version is in when it arrives but looked good in the photos!
image.jpeg
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC Master

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Wed May 11, 2016 2:42 pm

There was the standard game (SNG38)
The tube / Master enhanced (SNG47)
and the rarest of the rare 6502 Second Processor Elite (SNG45)

as well as the Executive edition, discussed here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2015&p=13943, which might've just been a hacked SNG45
Also the Elite "rolling demo" disc which was possibly :?: supplied to shops :P

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Wed May 11, 2016 3:55 pm

billcarr2005 wrote:There was the standard game (SNG38)
The tube / Master enhanced (SNG47)
and the rarest of the rare 6502 Second Processor Elite (SNG45)
Arghh! I still need to get SG45 then. Doh!

Oh well. Keep watching eBay...
BBC Master

helpful

Post by helpful » Wed May 11, 2016 4:24 pm

The Elite Archives twitter account might be one to keep an eye on:

https://twitter.com/elitearchives

There was a corresponding website but it seems to be AWOL. Internet archive to the rescue:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160328011 ... ves.co.uk/

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Wed May 11, 2016 7:08 pm

helpful wrote:The Elite Archives twitter account might be one to keep an eye on:

https://twitter.com/elitearchives

There was a corresponding website but it seems to be AWOL. Internet archive to the rescue:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160328011 ... ves.co.uk/

Bryan.
Thanks Bryan. I normally stay away from 'social media' but I guess this is a good enough reason to stray from the path of light.

Lardo
BBC Master

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Wed May 11, 2016 8:10 pm

Two versions for the Electron, the original with a bug, and the re-release AS /SS with bug fixed, both only on tape....
ImageImageImage

davidb

Post by davidb » Wed May 11, 2016 9:49 pm

CMcDougall wrote:Two versions for the Electron, the original with a bug, and the re-release AS /SS with bug fixed, both only on tape....
Interestingly, the files in the second version are trivially copyable to ROMFS, meaning that it could have been released as a ROM cartridge all those years ago. :( Out of interest, what was the bug that the second version fixed?

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:58 pm

From viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7074&p=70624#p70628
danielj wrote:There were two versions of Elk elite. The first release had a bug where the galactic hyperdrive didn't work and you were just stuck in Galaxy one. Second release fixed that. It's just the bug fixed version.

d.
Also, the BBC Master Compact version, although released by Superior Software / Acornsoft is discussed here http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 0&p=106940

ThomasHarte

Post by ThomasHarte » Mon May 16, 2016 2:06 pm

I feel like Electron User posted a long description of how to work around that bug — some intricate series of key presses that a user would be unlikely to concoct — such that you could hyperspace even with the original version. Is that my memory inventing things that didn't exist?
davidb wrote:
CMcDougall wrote:Two versions for the Electron, the original with a bug, and the re-release AS /SS with bug fixed, both only on tape....
Interestingly, the files in the second version are trivially copyable to ROMFS, meaning that it could have been released as a ROM cartridge all those years ago. :( Out of interest, what was the bug that the second version fixed?
I feel like Elite is larger than 16kb? I'd need to check, which I can't do here from work, but I think even just the main part of the code — after the title screen — had a block count at least up into the mid-40s.

I can confirm that it was T2P3 compatible, however.

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon May 16, 2016 2:43 pm

ThomasHarte wrote:I feel like Elite is larger than 16kb? I'd need to check, which I can't do here from work, but I think even just the main part of the code — after the title screen — had a block count at least up into the mid-40s.
You have to split the ELITEcode file, putting the end of it in the second ROM. The filing system appears to be able to cope with this.

martinw

Post by martinw » Tue May 17, 2016 1:07 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote:Hello all

I now have three versions of Acornsoft Elite for the model B:-

1) Cassette (on its way)
2) Standard 5.25" disc
3) Tube / Master enhanced disc version

Are there any others? I know there was an electron version but I don't have an electron so not fussed about getting one of those, although I probably will... I am also pretty sure that Superior Soft released it as well?

I would quite like to have one complete collection of Acornsoft Elite so am interested to know if I am missing anything?

Thanks

Lardo
Hi Lardo,

Here's my Elite collection ...
Elite.jpg
2 BBC/BBC Master (disks)
1 Electron (tape)
1 Archimedes (disks)
1 PC (disks)

Martin

martinw

Post by martinw » Tue May 17, 2016 1:15 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote: I would quite like to have one complete collection of Acornsoft Elite so am interested to know if I am missing anything?
Lardo
Then there's all the bits and bobs inside :wink:

http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... inw#p63334

Martin

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Tue May 17, 2016 7:31 pm

martinw wrote:
Hi Lardo,

2 BBC/BBC Master (disks)
1 Electron (tape)
1 Archimedes (disks)
1 PC (disks)

Martin
Here is mine!
I used to have Frontier Elite but have no idea where it ended up. I never really got in with it - the only way to win a fight seemed to be ramming the enemy.
image.jpeg
1 - Spectrum 48k version
2 - BBC tape version
3 - BBC disc version
4 - BBC master / tube version

They are complete except for missing two ship identification charts. I have one for the Spectrum version and one for the Master version but not the other two.

At some point doubtless I will end up spending a silly amount of money buying copies of Elite to get them...

Lardo
BBC Master

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Tue May 17, 2016 7:36 pm

On an Elite based note - does anyone have a Turbo MMC fitted to their Beeb? I have one and when I try to load disc Elite (from a disc not the card) it black screens almost immediately affer running the !boot file.
I never see the Acornsoft loading screen.
If I remove the MMC Rom it loads fine. I have two copies of disc Elite that both do the same.

Anyone else had this?

I have an issue 4 beeb with a matchbox co-processor and a Watford 12 ROM / RAM board.

Lardo
BBC Master

tricky

Post by tricky » Tue May 17, 2016 7:55 pm

Guessing PAGE is too high maybe.

martinw

Post by martinw » Tue May 17, 2016 7:58 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote:
martinw wrote:
Hi Lardo,

2 BBC/BBC Master (disks)
1 Electron (tape)
1 Archimedes (disks)
1 PC (disks)

Martin
Here is mine!
I used to have Frontier Elite but have no idea where it ended up. I never really got in with it - the only way to win a fight seemed to be ramming the enemy.
image.jpeg
1 - Spectrum 48k version
2 - BBC tape version
3 - BBC disc version
4 - BBC master / tube version

They are complete except for missing two ship identification charts. I have one for the Spectrum version and one for the Master version but not the other two.

At some point doubtless I will end up spending a silly amount of money buying copies of Elite to get them...

Lardo
Excellent 8)

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Tue May 17, 2016 7:59 pm

tricky wrote:Guessing PAGE is too high maybe.
That would make sense if both the MMC DFS and the DFS DFS are grabbing resources. I will try and switch off one of the ROMS using my Watford Rom Manager. Or at least I will if there are any instructions out there... It came with a bundle of ROMs and while it appears to work (it lists with *Help at least) I don't know the commands!

Lardo
BBC Master

sweh

Post by sweh » Tue May 17, 2016 8:00 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote:On an Elite based note - does anyone have a Turbo MMC fitted to their Beeb? I have one and when I try to load disc Elite (from a disc not the card) it black screens almost immediately affer running the !boot file.
If I remove the MMC Rom it loads fine. I have two copies of disc Elite that both do the same.
Which ROM has higher priority? You might be seeing OSWORD 7F conflicts, where the MMC ROM is intercepting the request before the DFS ROM sees it.
Rgds
Stephen

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Tue May 17, 2016 8:25 pm

sweh wrote:
Lardo Boffin wrote:On an Elite based note - does anyone have a Turbo MMC fitted to their Beeb? I have one and when I try to load disc Elite (from a disc not the card) it black screens almost immediately affer running the !boot file.
Which ROM has higher priority? You might be seeing OSWORD 7F conflicts, where the MMC ROM is intercepting the request before the DFS ROM sees it.
The MMC ROM has higher priority. I will do a bit of googling on how to kill a ROM without removing it and see what happens.
BBC Master

Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:19 pm

This might be a dead thread, but I'm a new member. :D
I love Elite, my Elite collection consists of:
ELITE - Acorn Electron (Tape)
ELITE - NES (Cartridge)
Frontier ELITE 2 - Amiga CD32 (CD)
Elite Dangerous - PC (CD) - Special Edition Huge Box given only to Kickstarter pledges. Box includes, a Huge Star Map, T-Shirt, Badge, Game DVD, Full Elite Dangerous: Legacy Novel. User Manual, Music CD. Probably something else too I can't remember now. :D

martinw

Post by martinw » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:35 pm

Dethmunk wrote:This might be a dead thread, but I'm a new member. :D
I love Elite, my Elite collection consists of:
ELITE - Acorn Electron (Tape)
ELITE - NES (Cartridge)
Frontier ELITE 2 - Amiga CD32 (CD)
Elite Dangerous - PC (CD) - Special Edition Huge Box given only to Kickstarter pledges. Box includes, a Huge Star Map, T-Shirt, Badge, Game DVD, Full Elite Dangerous: Legacy Novel. User Manual, Music CD. Probably something else too I can't remember now. :D
=D>