Everygamegoing Is Live

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

Dave_E

Everygamegoing Is Live

Post by Dave_E » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:52 pm

So... it's been another year that I have been extremely quiet and what this usually means is that I've been beavering away.

In 2012, we got Dragon 32 Universe.
In 2013, we got Personal Computer News (although this is no longer live).
In 2014, we got the new revamped Acorn Electron World with all of its compilations documented, etc.

And in 2015, we get this:

http://www.everygamegoing.com/

Yes, I have taken everything I've ever dabbled in ever and put it all together in one big super-site. This is the archive to end all archives. ;-) This is every BBC Micro game, every Acorn Electron game, every Spectrum game, every Amstrad game, every C64 game, every C16 game, every Colour Genie game... This is meant to have you literally agog and open-mouthed...

All of you have up there at the moment is about 10% of it. ;-)

However, please have a look and sign up and like the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/everygamegoing/

I'll be putting much more stuff and features live over the next few weeks.

Also, note that if you get a Spectrum ZX Vega for Xmas this year, this is the only place on the Net where you'll find instructions for all of the games on it...!

Happy hunting.

leenew

Re: Everygamegoing Is Live

Post by leenew » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:09 pm

Ok, I will be the first to say WOW!
:D
Lee.

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:36 pm

Looks nice so far. :)

It might be interesting to include information about mods and patches for games.

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:56 pm

This is proving to be an excellent resource. I'm finding it particularly useful to determine release year of various titles I'm indexing for MESS, from either screenshots, inlays, or cassette.

I see there's been plenty of additional info added over the past few days, it must be a full-time job to do this.

Many thanks.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:49 pm

Great initiative but ... there are many more Archie games.
http://forums.jaspp.org.uk:9000/forum/v ... ?f=7&t=103

And I don't think this
http://www.everygamegoing.com/landing/i ... rry_3.html
existed on the Archies ...

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:41 am

The Arc games on the site at the moment are only those that are mentioned in Acorn Computing. ;-) Leisure Suit Larry 3 is mentioned as playable on the Arc with a PC DOS emulator in one of the issues. For want of being able (yet) to add that as a proviso, I just added an item to bind to the review.

What's "up there" at the moment is about 15% of what the site can do - there's a video of it on YouTube for those who are interested...!

Once I get the "Help Build It" sections operational, hopefully a few people will "muck in" with the missing items. Certainly I realised I can't find "every game going" all on my own... and I did realise that some people will of course say "hang on, where's X? Where's Y?" in the site's "early days". But don't lose hope - it's growing every day and in every way... ;-)

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:59 am

Err, WoW! Good luck and, well, this will keep you busy for rather a while =D> =D> =D>

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:03 pm

Not sure if everyone is following the progress of this site but the BBC archives are now ultra, ultra extensive. Lots of items linked to their instructions and original reviews with highlighted quotes, screenshots, cover scans, etc, etc....

There is a Facebook page for it here:

https://www.facebook.com/everygamegoing/

If I can get 50 "likes" on Facebook, it will open up insights and allow me to start marketing the site through Facebook so if you've got a few spare seconds, please give it a like, or even better have a browse around it.

ThomasHarte

Post by ThomasHarte » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:43 pm

Minor (ha!) requests:
  • an API, so that we can build this directly into our emulators, front-ends, other web sites, etc;
  • possibly the ability to tag games by something that will make as great a proportion as possible of them likely to be findable given the original media — the names of files if it's a tape or straightforward disk, a SHA-1 of the media if it's a ROM, possibly the SHA-1 of the media image if you think they're sufficiently canonical, whatever else occurs.
So, something a lot like the CDDB then. But not for CDs.

(Though, apologies, I have no Facebook account.)

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:17 pm

Ah yes, an API is a definite must - there's so much useful information in this now, people need to be able to pull it out...

I'll probably do a simple API and then ask for some feedback. I'll get on that next week and do at least one command and see what people think.

I thought the items in it need "tagging" too, but I was more like thinking they need tagging by, for example, "education: tuition", "educational: testing", "educational: games", "educational: preschool/toddler", etc.

I see amazing possibilities in that sort of area. My sister has a child about 6 years old and she loves to play educational BBC and Spectrum games but it's actually not so easy to find what specifically suits her.

I would think the first API call to implement would be a sort of 'get items by show title', so for example you pass in:

"Crack It! Towers"

and it returns all the machines this is available for.

Then, 'get items by show title compatible with', so for example you pass in:

"Crack It! Towers"
"BBC Model B"

and back you get:

[show_title]
[alternative_titles]
[release_date]
[cover_scan_link]
[screenshots_prefix]
[number_of_screenshots]
[original_price]
[flag_is_compilation]
[item_mag_quotes]

It would be reasonably easy to put together something that returns these as JSON.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:21 pm

A very impressive venture. 8)
- John

Why do I keep collecting Acorn gear? I'm going to need a considerably bigger man-cave. :?

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:19 pm

Cheers man, spread the word. Not many people know about it yet... :-)

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:36 pm

I have made the first step into adding an API:

Here is some information on the command I've done so far:

http://www.everygamegoing.com/egg_api.html

I'll keep adding commands that I think might be useful.

If anyone is building any kind of application that might benefit from all the data on the site, then let me know what you'd like and I'll try and prioritise it.