Help Finding A.R.V. Text Adventure

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

lurkio

Re: Help Finding A.R.V. Text Adventure

Post by lurkio »

Oh, well, I'll just carry on tinkering then..!

Fixed LOAD and SAVE.

Attempted to fix the win screen. Seems to work but I can't test it legitimately because I haven't attempted to solve the whole game yet!

Links in previous post.

:idea:
stevenjameshodgson

Post by stevenjameshodgson »

lurkio wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:45 pm
Oh, well, I'll just carry on tinkering then..!

Fixed LOAD and SAVE.

Attempted to fix the win screen. Seems to work but I can't test it legitimately because I haven't attempted to solve the whole game yet!

Links in previous post.

If anyone needs the cheat code, to allow you to change the location (I think it's the RM variable), the location of the Fat Lad, and the in-game timer, message me. I won't post it on the forum because it could be a spoiler.
stevenjameshodgson

Wow, flattered!

Thank you! :)
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I've had a quick go of this game and it looks pretty good! I must admit I prefer playing games in Mode 7 on a standard BBC so I've had a quick look at the program and noticed that the locations are stored as a large data section within the main file (ARV, now ARVBBC). I've created a separate data file for these locations (LOCS) which is openin'd instead of using data reading (I've then obviously deleted the locations from the main program). It appears to work ok without memory issues but I've not tested it for long so far. The trick will be to set an appropriate value of page to maximise the available memory or perhaps create another data file for the location exits or messages. Also, because I'm running it in Mode 7 there are wordwrap issues it now being run in 40 columns. Now, if only there was a wordwrap expert out there...
Disc999-ARV.ssd
(175 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

fuzzel wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:41 pm
I prefer playing games in Mode 7 on a standard BBC so ... I've created a separate data file for these locations (LOCS) which is openin'd instead of using data reading (I've then obviously deleted the locations from the main program). It appears to work ok without memory issues but I've not tested it for long so far.
Good work, but it runs a bit slow now. I suggest using the Egyptian Adventure trick of maintaining an integer array of offsets into the datafile and then saying PTR#Z=r(R):INPUT#Z,D$ to jump straight to the appropriate point in the file from which you can read the required description text for room R directly -- instead of what you seem to be doing, which is iterating through the whole file from the beginning till you hit the R'th string.

fuzzel wrote:
The trick will be to set an appropriate value of page to maximise the available memory
On a standard Model B with Acorn DFS you can lower PAGE to &1300 and still keep one file open for reading (and/or writing, I think).

stevenjameshodgson

fuzzel wrote:
I've had a quick go of this game and it looks pretty good! I must admit I prefer playing games in Mode 7 on a standard BBC so I've had a quick look at the program and noticed that the locations are stored as a large data section within the main file (ARV, now ARVBBC). I've created a separate data file for these locations (LOCS) which is openin'd instead of using data reading (I've then obviously deleted the locations from the main program). It appears to work ok without memory issues but I've not tested it for long so far. The trick will be to set an appropriate value of page to maximise the available memory or perhaps create another data file for the location exits or messages. Also, because I'm running it in Mode 7 there are wordwrap issues it now being run in 40 columns. Now, if only there was a wordwrap expert out there...
Disc999-ARV.ssd
I suspect the high-tech wordwrap technique that Simon, TIm and I originally employed for the 80(?) column Archimedes MODE was just padding out the big bits of text with spaces... :roll:
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

lurkio wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:25 pm
fuzzel wrote:
I prefer playing games in Mode 7 on a standard BBC so ... I've created a separate data file for these locations (LOCS) which is openin'd instead of using data reading (I've then obviously deleted the locations from the main program). It appears to work ok without memory issues but I've not tested it for long so far.
Good work, but it runs a bit slow now. I suggest using the Egyptian Adventure trick of maintaining an integer array of offsets into the datafile and then saying PTR#Z=r(R):INPUT#Z,D$ to jump straight to the appropriate point in the file from which you can read the required description text for room R directly -- instead of what you seem to be doing, which is iterating through the whole file from the beginning till you hit the R'th string.

fuzzel wrote:
The trick will be to set an appropriate value of page to maximise the available memory
On a standard Model B with Acorn DFS you can lower PAGE to &1300 and still keep one file open for reading (and/or writing, I think).

How about this? I've created a small lookup file for the PTR# command to reference, tucked out of the way at &B00.
Disc999-ARV.ssd
(175 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

RandolphSc0tt wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:35 pm
I can't actually remember which PD library we released the demo to. I think APDL had it for Archimedes.

And yeah we sold the copies via mail order.

https://solutionarchive.com/game/id%2C4684/A.R.V..html

I think we got it reviewed in BBC Acorn User. I had a quote: "one of the most original ideas around" or similar from them on my CV for a while.
I've had a look for the review in Acorn User but can't find it (but then, I'm not the most observant). Can you remember roughly when it would have appeared? Or perhaps you received a reply from Acorn User but they never actually published the review?
stevenjameshodgson

fuzzel wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:56 am
RandolphSc0tt wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:35 pm
I can't actually remember which PD library we released the demo to. I think APDL had it for Archimedes.

And yeah we sold the copies via mail order.

https://solutionarchive.com/game/id%2C4684/A.R.V..html

I think we got it reviewed in BBC Acorn User. I had a quote: "one of the most original ideas around" or similar from them on my CV for a while.
I've had a look for the review in Acorn User but can't find it (but then, I'm not the most observant). Can you remember roughly when it would have appeared? Or perhaps you received a reply from Acorn User but they never actually published the review?
I believe it was in the "Public Domain" column which my good friend Paul Wheatley edited for a while, probably 1994/5.

I remember putting a quote from Paul's review on one of the loading screens of the Archimedes version.
8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG »

Can't spot a full review, but... mention...
https://archive.org/details/AcornUser15 ... 1/mode/2up

Also mention of the sequel here...
https://archive.org/details/AcornUser166-Mar96/page/n17

Unbroken Circle mention here...
https://archive.org/details/AcornUser18 ... /page/n13/

[Side note: Wow... that's a seriously impressive education CV for Tim's dad(?) A very clever chap!]
stevenjameshodgson

8bitAG wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:24 pm
Can't spot a full review, but... mention...
https://archive.org/details/AcornUser15 ... 1/mode/2up

Also mention of the sequel here...
https://archive.org/details/AcornUser166-Mar96/page/n17

Unbroken Circle mention here...
https://archive.org/details/AcornUser18 ... /page/n13/

[Side note: Wow... that's a seriously impressive education CV for Tim's dad(?) A very clever chap!]
That's it! I think "Detailed and enjoyable" was the quote that we used on the loading screen. The sequel never got off the ground, as we headed off to university and more, ahem, interesting pursuits...
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

fuzzel wrote:
Now, if only there was a wordwrap expert out there...

Code: Select all

NEW
AUTO

MODE7
DIM W% 255:L%=40

PROCw("This is a sentence."):P.
PROCw("They are looking through Curry's window and watching 'Eldorado'. One woman is complaining that the acting is worse than a German football player, another Sky viewer is saying 'There's 57 channels and nothin' on.'")

END

DEFPROCw($W%):LOCALA%,Z%,C%,N%:N%=LEN$W%:A%=0:Z%=L%+1-POS:REPEATIFZ%>N%Z%=N%ELSEREPEATZ%=Z%-1:C%=W%?Z%:UNTILC%=32:IF Z%>=A% ELSE IF POS PRINT:Z%=L%+1:UNTIL0 ELSE STOP
W%?Z%=&D:PRINT$(W%+A%);:IFZ%<N% IF POS PRINT
A%=Z%+1:Z%=A%+L%+1:UNTILA%>=N%:ENDPROC

REM This might be useful:

REM Is the previous line blank?
REMDEFFNb:LOCALA%,C%,I%:VDU11,8:A%=&87:FORI%=1TOL%:VDU9:C%=(USR(&FFF4)AND&FF00)DIV256:IFC%=32NEXT:VDU10,13:=TRUE ELSEI%=L%:NEXT:VDU10,13:=FALSE
DEFFNb:LOCAL A%,B%,I%:VDU 11:A%=?&34B*256+?&34A:VDU 10:FOR I%=0 TO L%-1 STEP 4
B%=A%+I%:B%=B%+&400*(B%>&7FFF)
IF !B%=&20202020 NEXT:=TRUE ELSE I%=L%-1:NEXT:=FALSE
stevenjameshodgson

lurkio wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:34 pm
fuzzel wrote:
Now, if only there was a wordwrap expert out there...

NEW
AUTO

MODE7
DIM W% 255:L%=40

PROCw("This is a sentence."):P.
PROCw("They are looking through Curry's window and watching 'Eldorado'. One woman is complaining that the acting is worse than a German football player, another Sky viewer is saying 'There's 57 channels and nothin' on.'")

END

DEFPROCw($W%):LOCALA%,Z%,C%,N%:N%=LEN$W%:A%=0:Z%=L%+1-POS:REPEATIFZ%>N%Z%=N%ELSEREPEATZ%=Z%-1:C%=W%?Z%:UNTILC%=32:IF Z%>=A% ELSE IF POS PRINT:Z%=L%+1:UNTIL0 ELSE STOP
W%?Z%=&D:PRINT$(W%+A%);:IFZ%<N% IF POS PRINT
A%=Z%+1:Z%=A%+L%+1:UNTILA%>=N%:ENDPROC

REM This might be useful:

REM Is the previous line blank?
REMDEFFNb:LOCALA%,C%,I%:VDU11,8:A%=&87:FORI%=1TOL%:VDU9:C%=(USR(&FFF4)AND&FF00)DIV256:IFC%=32NEXT:VDU10,13:=TRUE ELSEI%=L%:NEXT:VDU10,13:=FALSE
DEFFNb:LOCAL A%,B%,I%:VDU 11:A%=?&34B*256+?&34A:VDU 10:FOR I%=0 TO L%-1 STEP 4
B%=A%+I%:B%=B%+&400*(B%>&7FFF)
IF !B%=&20202020 NEXT:=TRUE ELSE I%=L%-1:NEXT:=FALSE
Those references to Eldorado and early-90s Springsteen have aged well... :lol:
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Here's an updated version incorporating lurkio's excellent wordwrap routine. I'll be starting the game proper tomorrow so will report on any bugs or memory issues. I've set PAGE to &2000 to be on the safe side for the moment (it's using memory above &1100 which will be OPENIN I guess).
ARV BBC Version.ssd
(87.5 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

fuzzel wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:05 pm
Here's an updated version incorporating lurkio's excellent wordwrap routine.
I think you forgot to include this:

10 DIM W% 255:L%=40
:?:
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I've come across a bug in the humble BBC version of the game. I was trying to enter the Zoo but it was closed for lunch so I typed TIME to see what time it was and got the error message below:
ARV BBC B Time Error.jpg
This is because TIME$ is a Master only variable which prints the time from the real time clock as can be seen below:
ARV BBC Master No Time Error.jpg
So the question is, and I'll investigate further myself, does the game actually need the real time or does it just use the ARV time, in which case I can delete all reference to real time from the program?
stevenjameshodgson

From what I remember we didn't do anything with the real time (apart from maybe display a "Good morning" or "Good afternoon" message?) and it doesn't affect gameplay. ARV time definitely does though, as some locations are only open during certain hours.

I think I just put it in so people could see how much of their time they were spending on ARV! :wink:
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

That old lady's a real handful!

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”