Acorn World In Pixels 2nd Edition

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

MatthewThompson

Acorn World In Pixels 2nd Edition

Post by MatthewThompson »

The book Acorn - A World in Pixels returns in a second extended edition with a lot more new content

See link below for more details

https://www.idesine.com/
leenew

Re: Acorn World In Pixels 2nd Edition

Post by leenew »

Why didn't this come out as a separate book?
Everyone with the first book would have bought part 2!
Many will not be able to justify buying the same content twice for a bit of new content...
Seems like a bad decision to me :?

Lee
markoceans

Post by markoceans »

Hi, good question.

We sold out of the first edition and wanted to make that content available again. And we had a lot more new content too. Our choice was a separate second volume (leaving the first volume unavailable, as the economics would have made it impossible to re-print) or create a second edition with everything together. Those who have the book will realise it is VERY expensive to print/distribute given the quality (hard back, slip case, free delivery) and niche market.

A second volume would have been about 250 pages all in, and would have had to be priced around the same price as the first edition, given the current higher costs in the print/distribution industry (the print pricing is 50% higher than last year - I'm sure you've read about these problems across the world).

So we decided the best way to do this was create the second, extended volume and provide a discount for people who bought the first edition. It results in the same price as if we had printed a second volume standalone AND ensures we keep the original content available too.

Hope this explains the rationale and thanks for the question.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

I pre-ordered mine today - thanks for the discount code!
dhoggan

Post by dhoggan »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for explaining the reasoning behind the decision - it's good insight into the practicalities of producing something like this.
Model B Issue 7 - Dual Gotek/5.25"; IFEL Sideways board; RetroClinic Co-Pro; VideoNuLA
Master 128K - Gotek; RetroClinic Co-Pro, CF HDD & DualOS

Main interest: BBC computer languages
leenew

Post by leenew »

Yes, that is a good explanation.
Nothing is as easy as it first seems... 😊

Lee
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

Hi Mark

Thanks for this. I missed the first edition, so this expanded second edition works well for me.
Just a quick point... the order confirmation says I paid £5.83 in tax. Aren't books zero rated?
elk1984

Post by elk1984 »

markoceans wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:44 pm
So we decided the best way to do this was create the second, extended volume and provide a discount for people who bought the first edition. It results in the same price as if we had printed a second volume standalone AND ensures we keep the original content available too.
D'oh, I ordered this morning before finding out about the discount code, is it too late to apply it after the fact (I can send across order numbers / proofs of purchase)
markoceans

Post by markoceans »

Hi, please send a note to store@idesine.com and they will be able to sort that out for you.

PS re tax question, that was an error on the product set-up. this has now been corrected as it is zero-rated.
Last edited by markoceans on Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tricky

Post by tricky »

I didn't get an email, at least not that I have found :(
IanS

Post by IanS »

tricky wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:57 pm
I didn't get an email, at least not that I have found :(
Nor did I, but I suspect it's because I bought via the ebay store, rather than direct.
Dan1975

Post by Dan1975 »

Ordered mine earlier complete with discount :D
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

Just a note to say the Gmail put my discount email from idesine into the 'promotions' folder, and it didn't show up even when I searched for "idesine"! So if you are wondering where your discount email went, and you use gmail, possibly worth checking the various folders that gmail automatically categorises your email into.
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I've got the email and the discount code so I'll be purchasing the second edition. Which poses the question, what to do with my original book? I have a couple of friends from school who were nuts about their BBCs so I'll possibly send one of them a nice Christmas present (I'm not sure if they're that interested in the BBC these days though). I noticed that Level 9 gets an overdue article in the new book and I can only presume that the author tried and failed to contact the O'Leary's of Robico - it would have been great to hear about them. Or maybe Robico is in the book, all will be revealed in a couple of months...
richw

Post by richw »

Just thought I would chime in too. Not sure about my feelings. I bought the original and it has been sitting on the shelf for me to enjoy later. It is nice to see new content, and I am interested in that. But it is a bit of a sting that to get it I have to re-buy something I already have. I appreciate the economic realities, though.

If the additional content was downloadable for earlier buyers, that might help. But I suppose someone might leak it. And to be honest, I would rather have paper than a screen.

Tough one!
anightin

Post by anightin »

Dan1975 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:56 pm
Ordered mine earlier complete with discount :D
Ditto, great to have all the existing and new content all in one volume :)
markoceans

Post by markoceans »

Richw - A lower cost PDF of the new/updated content may be a good option for people who don't want a whole new physical book. We're going to look into that, as it isn't something we have done before nor the mechanics of doing it securely. If we can do it, then we would give those who have already purchased the physical second edition a chance to swap over. Watch this space.
markoceans

Post by markoceans »

Hi,
We've been delighted by the reaction to the announcement of the second, extended edition of Acorn - A World in Pixels. We love the passion that exists with the community.
Some people have contacted us about the possibility of buying a digital download of the additional and updated content at a lower cost, rather than buy the entire new physical book with a discount.
We've now made this option available via our web shop at https://www.idesine.com.
The Digital Download is intended for customers who have the first edition of the book and would just like to read the additional/updated content added to the second edition on screen rather than in printed form.
The digital download does not contain the full book, just the additional and updated content.
The digital download will be released just after the physical product is distributed, which is expected to be by December 1st 2021. You will receive an email link at that time to download the content.
So for previous customers, you now have the option of either purchasing the digital download for just £5.00, or the beautiful new consolidated physical edition (together with a discount code that you should have received by now) and free postage within the UK for £27.50.
If you have already purchased the second edition of the book through our web shop and would like to swap to the Digital Download, please email us at contact@idesine.com and we will correct your order including the price paid.
Happy reading!
elk1984

Post by elk1984 »

markoceans wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:54 pm
Hi,
The Digital Download is intended for customers who have the first edition of the book and would just like to read the additional/updated content added to the second edition on screen rather than in printed form.

So for previous customers, you now have the option of either purchasing the digital download for just £5.00
That's great news, I'm still going to get a physical book but it's great to see a such a positive outcome for owners of the first edition!
markoceans

Post by markoceans »

It was a great suggestion by richw and when we looked into it, it was pretty straightforward to arrange.
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Excellent customer service! I'm still getting the book and probably also the download :mrgreen:
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
asfafa

Post by asfafa »

Having just come back to the forums because of hearing about this book, and missing out on the first edition, I've ordered two copies of the second edition. Can't wait!
markoceans

Post by markoceans »

Hi,

A number of people who purchased the first edition have been asking for more detail on what's been updated in the second edition. We've compiled the complete list so they can make an informed choice between digital download of changed content vs full physical edition.

We are happy to switch people between orders (digital download vs physical full edition) based on preference, right up the point we distribute. You can contact us contact@idesine.com

[url https://www.idesine.com/blogs/news/acor ... -available]We have added the full detail to our original blog post here.[/url]

It is also listed below for completeness, but the blog presents it in a more readable form!

Art Cover art updated to include the Addictive’s Boffin character, to differentiate the two editions, whilst retaining the consistency.
Feature Acorn Computers – In Their Own Words – 18 page “talking heads” feature, where Chris Curry, Hermann Hauser, Sophie Wilson, Steve Furber and Chris Turner talk us through the history of Acorn Computers from start to finish.
Art New double page spread of BBC Computer render, created especially for this book.
Art Beautiful, re-created artwork as used for Micro Power’s The Mine release, originally created by Ellis Ives Sprowell, single page. Text unchanged.
Art Beautiful, re-created artwork as used for Micro Power’s Ghouls release, originally created by Ellis Ives Sprowell, single page. Text unchanged.
Feature Richard Hanson Talks With – Richard Hanson personally interviews five people who contributed to the significant success of Superior Software, spread across 14 pages. Interviews with John Dyson (co-founder), Ken Campbell (sales manager), Chris Hart (compatibility expert), Matthew Thompson (gamers), Ian Rees (designer and coder). Features Hunchback and Road Runner games.
Publisher New MRM double-page feature, with Mike Goldberg interview. Features Castle Assault, Diamond Mine, 3D Munchy, The Sorcerer, Bananaman and Nightmare Maze.
Publisher New Level 9 double-page feature, with Pete Austin interview.
Publisher New Firebird double-page feature.
Art Beautiful, re-created artwork as used for Felix in the Factory, across double pages with game feature. Text unchanged.
Art Beautiful, re-created artwork as used for Swoop, across double pages with game feature. Text unchanged.
Game/interview Interview with Julian Todd, illustrated with Micro Power’s Cosmic Kidnap game graphic. Also wrote Combat Lynx.
Game commentary Author Nick Pelling expands on his recollection of the game Zalaga, accompanying the game.
Game/interview Interview with author Kevin Reid, illustrated with Acornsoft’s Snooker graphic.
Game commentary Exile author Peter Irvin new ½ page recollection on his legendary Starship Command. Game graphic unchanged.
Game commentary Author Trever Hall expands on recollection of the game Twin Kingdom Valley. Game graphic unchanged.
Game/interview Interview with author Ross Goodley, illustrated with beautiful, re-created artwork for Alligata’s Blagger, spread across double page.
Game commentary Co-author David Lovekin’s new recollections of Superior Software’s Space Pilot. Replaces previous gamer text.
Interview New double-page interview with David Lovekin, who partnered with prolific Peter Johnson to co-author a number of his games.
Game/Interview and Art Interview with Simon Phipps, illustrated with beautiful, re-created artwork for Micro Power’s Jet Power Jack, spread across double page.
Feature Exploring Elite Today – A fascinating 4-page feature by Mark Moxon on his exploration of the Elite source code and insight into how Braben/Bell created their masterpiece.
Game/Interview Tom Jones of publisher Starcade new recollections of the game Savage Pond. Replaces previous text.
Game/Interview Interview with Tony Racine (co-author) and illustrated with existing English Software’s Kissin’ Kousins graphic on a single page.
Game/Interview Interview with Dave Woodhouse (co-author) and illustrated with existing English Software’s Jet Boot Jack graphic on a single page. Existing text retained as well.
Game/Interview Interview with author Robin Leatherbarrow and illustrated with Software Invasion’s Jet Boat graphic across double page.
Game/Interview Interview with author Richard Warner and illustrated with Atarisoft’s Pole Position graphic across double page. Richard also talks about his work on the Welcome tape.
Graphic update Frak! main graphic expanded to full page, given the iconic nature of the art. No text changes.
Game/Interview Interview with author Nick Reeves and illustrated with Acornsoft’s Tetrapod graphic on a single page.
Graphic update Inclusion of the Knight Lore loading screen across a double page, introducing the Ultimate Filmation section.
Feature The Making of Ultimate’s BBC games – a ‘fly on the wall’ feature on the creation of the BBC Micro versions of Lunar Jetman, Sabre Wulf, Knight Lore, Alien 8 and Nightshade by one of Paul Proctor close friends, spread across 6 pages. Really fascinating (our favourite addition to this edition).
Graphic update Alien 8 full isometric map, made up of screen shots, spread across double page, replacing the original Alien 8 graphic.
Graphic update Magic Mushrooms graphic updated, using different level.

Game/Interview Interview with author Tony Monckton and illustrated with Software Invasion’s Chipbuster graphic across a double page.
Art Inclusion on Repton Around the World poster artwork within the Making of Repton feature as a single page. No text additions.
Game/Commentary Arcana’s Powerplay added across double page, with very short commentary from author Adrian Stephens
Graphic addition Double page spread of 6 screens from Addictive’s Boffin across double page
Game commentary New commentary from Peter Johnson on the making of Superior Software’s Deathstar, replacing the original text.
Art inclusion of Micro Power’s Doctor Who and the Mines of Terror poster art on single page.
Game commentary New half-page commentary from author Gary Partis on the making of iconic Micro Power’s Doctor Who and the Mines of Terror, to replace the limited text on the game in first edition.
Game/Interview Interview with author Trevor Harwood of Catalyst Coders and illustrated with Elite’s Commando graphic across double page.
Graphic update Ultimate’s Nightshade now presented across double page with multiple screen shots to capture their full beauty.
Game/Interview Interview with author Sean Scarff and illustrated with Incentive’s Moon Cresta graphic across double page.
Game/Interview Interview with author Martin Sykes, replacing the original text for Superior Software’s Karate Combat, across double page. No change to graphic.
Game commentary Half page commentary from Michael St Aubyn on Micro Power’s Imogen and its up-to-date remake.
Game commentary Short commentary from Stephen Wileman, co-author of Superior Software’s Palace of Magic, replacing original text.
Art Beautiful, re-created artwork as used for Superior Software’s Galaforce, across double pages with existing commentary from game author, Kevin Edwards.
Feature Kevin Edwards tells all about copy protection – three-page feature by Kevin Edwards on his copy protection, used to protect many classic games.
Game/commentary Double-page game graphic on Software Invasion’s Street Machine and gamer commentary.
Art Beautiful poster artwork for Superior Software’s Stryker’s Run, across double pages with game graphics, to introduce game feature.
Graphic Two double spreads featuring a complete play through of the Superior Software’s Stryker’s Run Master 128k version of the game, with its beautiful game graphics.
Game/commentary Interview with Michael Archer, author of Martech’s W.A.R, and accompanying game graphic as double page spread.
Graphic update Domark’s Star Wars loading screen replaces plain game graphic used in first edition, across double page. No change to text.
Graphic update Double-page graphic map of circa 50% of Superior Software’s Codename:Droid.
Game/commentary Interview with Angus Hughes, co-author of legendary Hewson Consultant’s Uridium on double page spread.
Game/interview Double-page interview with Mike Bryant, author of many of their famous adventure games, featuring graphic from Level 9’s Gnome Ranger.
Art Poster artwork for Electric Dream’s Firetrack, on single page accompanying the game. Game commentary updated with short text from author Nick Pelling.
Art Beautiful, unreleased airbrush art intended for Superior Software’s Pipeline, which was rejected post the Piper Alpha disaster, and the basis of the game re-worked, spread across double page
Graphic update New double-page zoom in on Superior Software Exile’s map, for better context to introduce the Making of Exile feature.
Art Beautiful, re-created artwork as used for Superior Software’s Spycat, across double pages, replacing original game graphic. Maybe our favourite art in the book. Peter Scott commentary expanded.
Game/interview Double-page interview with prolific David Lloyd nee-Croft, featuring alongside Tynesoft’s Winter Olympiad’88 graphic. David talks about many of his other games like Phantom and Ian Botham’s Test Cricket.
Game/interview Interview with Jamie Woodhouse, accompanied by graphics from Superior Software’s Qwak! on a single page.
Game/interview Interview with author Neil Davidson, accompanied by graphics from Superior Software’s Ricochet across a double page.
Game/interview Interview with author Ian Collinson, accompanied by graphics from Superior Software’s Perplexity across a double page. Ian also talks about Impact’s Zenon.
Game/interview Interview with author David Parsons, accompanied by graphics from Atlantis’ Hobgoblin I and II across a double page.
Graphic update New double page graphic of Superior Software’s Cyborg Warriors to replace the original graphic, which fits better to the page design. No text changes.
Game/commentary Full isometric map of 4th Dimension’s Inertia, with gamer commentary.
Game/interview Interview with author Graeme Richardson, accompanied by graphics from 4th Dimension’s Nevyron, spread across four pages. Graeme also talks about his work on the Acorn Archimedes.
Graphic update And not to forget - double-page graphic feature where we feature 30 screen shots of games that didn’t make it into the book, but we felt should not be forgotten. We’re sure even post that selection, there are some games we should have included!
Interview Double page interview with prolific game reviewer Jon Revis, whose reviews featured in The Micro User and Electron User.
Feature update The very last Bob and Trev is now the very, very last Bob and Trev, where Bob adds a few additions to his original letter post lock-down.
Feature The Making of Micro Men – six-page feature on Micro Men, where we interview Andrea Cornwell on the making of this classic comedy-drama of the battle for greatness between Sir Clive Sinclair and Chris Curry.
Feature Saving The Crown Jewels – double page feature by the Acorn Preservation Society’s Chris Evans on the recovery of Michael Jakobsen’s Citadel source code from the author’s aging disks.
Feature A Beeb in a Browser – double page feature by Matt Godbolt on creating a Beeb emulator that runs in a browser, and is now the engine that allows gamers to play all the classic games on bbcmicro.co.uk.
Interview A double page interview with 0xC0DE, a talented coder of Acorn games in 2021.
Index Perhaps the most requested addition. Yes finally, you can find all the content much easier than before with an index!
Art update Updated pencil drawing by Ste Pickford, with the Boffin character added.
ash73

Post by ash73 »

Still no The Hobbit? Strange omission, it was quite iconic with its AI characters, pretty graphics and quirky bugs; and Veronika Megler is easy to contact. Good to see Level 9 in the mix anyhow.
richw

Post by richw »

Wow, that is a brilliant response, thanks! I wasn't paying attention and managed to miss this thread and my email.

Great compromise there for owners of the original book. I can enjoy that, and the new content can be read on-screen without my printed book feeling like an iPhone 1. Thank you very much for considering my suggestion - never mind implementing it in a few hours!!!
ivor_the_injun

Post by ivor_the_injun »

ash73 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:21 am
Still no The Hobbit? Strange omission, it was quite iconic with its AI characters, pretty graphics and quirky bugs; and Veronika Megler is easy to contact. Good to see Level 9 in the mix anyhow.
Have to say, that’s pretty harsh given the scale of the undertaking that’s been involved here. There will always be people who aren’t in there. Also, speaking from experience, someone being easy to contact is not the same thing as them being easy to get involved!

When I was researching for my Acorn Retro Gamer pieces there were several quick responses from people who either didn’t want to contribute or promised to get back to me but never did, despite multiple nags.

Bear in mind when some of these interviews have been conducted too - not everyone’s experience of the pandemic has been the same, and for every handful of individuals who may have had spare time on their hands to recall the Acorn era at length, there might be someone who’s going through something horrendous.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”