Secrets of the Executive version of Elite revealed

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

MarkMoxon

Secrets of the Executive version of Elite revealed

Post by MarkMoxon »

As part of my ongoing documentation of BBC Micro Elite, I've now added the Executive version of 6502SP Elite to bbcelite.com. You can also build it with the accompanying repository.

There are some really interesting features in Executive Elite that I had no idea were in there. There is even some proper swearing, which came as a bit of a surprise.

Full details can be found in a new deep dive exposing the secrets of the Executive version. Bizarrely, I feel I should warn you that this article contains some NSFW content, so apologies for simply linking rather than spilling the beans here. If anyone has the hardware configuration mentioned in the article, I'd be really interested to know whether it works. You'll know what I mean when you read the article.

Next up, the Master Compact version. I wonder what secrets that one holds? :shock:

Mark
cmorley

Re: Secrets of the Executive version of Elite revealed

Post by cmorley »

A frame rate limit patch for the SP version would be nice. I found with my home built 65C02 copro that much above 7MHz CPU and the game becomes unplayable as the frame rate skyrockets when there is little on the screen. 7MHz does make a nice noticable boost over a 3MHz copro though.
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

It's nice to see some of that esoteric hardware that I emulate getting some use :D

I don't think my Beeb Speech emulation has actually been compared to original hardware, I seem to remember frequencies not being verified. It should be relatively easy to port this to other emulators that are being maintained.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

Pernod wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:06 pm
It's nice to see some of that esoteric hardware that I emulate getting some use :D
Well, it’s very much appreciated. The amount of emulated hardware in MAME is seriously impressive. I’m delighted to have finally found a project of my own where MAME can do what the other emulators can’t - I knew it would happen at some point!

Definitely worth a =D>

Mark
melchett

Post by melchett »

Great investigation and write up Mark. That's intriguing that Ian Bell put in the use of the mystery hardware and the NSFW parts. I enjoy your writing style on these too - quite easy to read and digest. Quite an education - read the page on TINA too!

Again =D>

Andy
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

melchett wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:13 pm
Great investigation and write up Mark. That's intriguing that Ian Bell put in the use of the mystery hardware and the NSFW parts. I enjoy your writing style on these too - quite easy to read and digest. Quite an education - read the page on TINA too!
Thanks Andy, glad you like it. I'm really enjoying finding out all this stuff, and it's great to know I’m not the only one!

Mark
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

cmorley wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:53 pm
A frame rate limit patch for the SP version would be nice. I found with my home built 65C02 copro that much above 7MHz CPU and the game becomes unplayable as the frame rate skyrockets when there is little on the screen. 7MHz does make a nice noticable boost over a 3MHz copro though.
So, there's a main game loop in the parasite that just keeps iterating, so I guess it would be relatively straightforward to add some extra code to stop and wait at the end of each iteration if things are going too fast, to ensure that the loop iterations always run at the same pace, even on fast second processors.

Not sure I have the knowledge to do this myself, but I suspect Stardot’s resident experts on frame rates and such might be able to chip in with suggestions?

Mark
jregel

Post by jregel »

More good stuff, Mark. Excellent stuff. They're going to have to rewrite the Elite FAQ with all your discoveries!
BBC Master Turbo, Retroclinic External Datacentre, VideoNuLA, PiTubeDirect with Pi Zero, Gotek USB Floppy Emulator

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”