Repton 2 UEF - Completable?

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

melchett

Repton 2 UEF - Completable?

Post by melchett »

This is my UEF rip of my original (genuine) Repton 2 cassette. How can I tell if this is a completable version or the one that is missing a diamond?
REPTON2.uef
(20.96 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
geraldholdsworth

Re: Repton 2 UEF - Completable?

Post by geraldholdsworth »

There is a missing diamond in the bottom left of Screen G.
B2ORIGINAL BBC REPTON 2 IMAGE7T.png
Screen G with diamond
B2REPTON 2 FROM TAPE7T.png
Screen G without diamond
melchett

Post by melchett »

Thank you Gerald - will check and see. Just curious to know if the one I bought back then could be completed. Loved Repton 2 and it was quite an improvement from Repton.
melchett

Post by melchett »

Looks like my tape was the missing diamond version - great to finally know one way or another so it was never possible to complete it.

Andy
geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth »

melchett wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:54 pm
Looks like my tape was the missing diamond version - great to finally know one way or another so it was never possible to complete it.
Nice.

You can also use my Repton Map Display to show the maps held within. Only problem there is that it, currently, does not read from a UEF file, and only runs on Windows. But, using my Disc Image Manager, the files can be extracted to your local hard drive where they can be read by the Repton Map Display...or just imported direct to an SSD for it to read.
melchett

Post by melchett »

geraldholdsworth wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:40 pm
You can also use my Repton Map Display to show the maps held within. Only problem there is that it, currently, does not read from a UEF file, and only runs on Windows. But, using my Disc Image Manager, the files can be extracted to your local hard drive where they can be read by the Repton Map Display...or just imported direct to an SSD for it to read.
Didn't know that existed, thank you for the awareness - will move the files from UEF to SSD and extract and load them into the viewer.
melchett

Post by melchett »

I created an SSD with *XFER on ADT - something in the second file though that forces loading back to tape, not sure I know how to fix that yet however...
Repton2.ssd
(31 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
I tried the SSD with the Repton Map Display and received the following message.
message.png
It does play from UEF, the files seem to be ok "for tape" but I'm not sure what the tool is looking for when it loads the SSD.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”