Impossible Mission - puzzle help...

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

colinhoad

Impossible Mission - puzzle help...

Post by colinhoad »

Hello!

I've always loved the US Gold port of Impossible Mission for the Beeb, written by Peter Johnson, but I have never managed to figure out the 'puzzle' aspect of the game - chiefly because I don't understand the controls / what you're meant to do to solve the puzzle pieces.

The controls look like this:
impossiblemission.png
You can access the controls by hitting RETURN when you're in the elevator shaft and then you can move the gloved hand around using the Z,X,*,? keys. However... what do those icons mean?

There's an up/down arrow looking one, a left/right opposing arrow one, and something that looks like the White House along the top row: no idea what any of those do.
Then there's a fish skeleton icon which takes you back into the game (i.e. exiting the gloved hand view), an exclamation mark (no idea), and some pawprints (that freeze the game's timer).
Finally there's three coloured tiles, blue, green and white: again, not clear what they do.

Sometimes when you search furniture in the game, you collect what I believe are puzzle pieces (they look like filled in rectangles with various pixels missing). When you collect these, you start seeing representations of them in the 'gloved hand' view, but I struggle to understand how you're meant to interact with them. Hitting RETURN with the gloved hand over the top of them results in odd messages like "ORIENTATION!" or "WRONG COLOUR!" but that doesn't help very much...!

Finally, there's an up and down arrow on the left side that scrolls through the collected puzzle pieces, and then a keypad icon that gives you options of ORIENTATION, ENOUGH or HANG UP. Selecting HANG UP just takes you out of the keypad screen, but the other two options are not clear to me in terms of what they achieve.

If there are any Impossible Mission players out there who can advise, I'd really appreciate it! My Googling has only uncovered help for the C64 version, and that one seems to be a bit different...
davidb

Re: Impossible Mission - puzzle help...

Post by davidb »

Instructions can be found at Every Game Going.
colinhoad

Post by colinhoad »

Thank you very much, David - this is really helpful! The mysteries of Impossible Mission are finally solved... :D
davidb

Post by davidb »

Hints:
  • It helps to think of the puzzle pieces as strips of shredded paper.
  • There are 8 sheets of paper, each made up of 4 puzzle pieces.
  • The complete pages all have a corner missing, so you can use that to match the orientation of the pieces against each other.
  • You can place 4 pieces in the area next to the scrolling list containing the pieces, so you can in theory work on 4 pages at once.
colinhoad

Post by colinhoad »

Great, these are all excellent tips as well! Thank you again :)

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”