Revs Editor available ?

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

lovebug

Revs Editor available ?

Post by lovebug »

I was wondering if a track editor was used when making revs and has it ever been released ?

would be nice to make a new set of tracks
randomly changing stuff in your code until it works is "hacky" and "bad coding practice"
do it fast enough and its called "machine learning"
RobC

Re: Revs Editor available ?

Post by RobC »

I've often wondered about this - I did think about looking into Revs 4 tracks to see how the data was stored but have never got round to it.

I feel Revs is a bit overlooked these days (not getting as much attention as Elite or Exile) but it was a seminal Beeb game back in the day.
iainfm

Post by iainfm »

RobC wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:53 pm
I've often wondered about this - I did think about looking into Revs 4 tracks to see how the data was stored but have never got round to it.

I feel Revs is a bit overlooked these days (not getting as much attention as Elite or Exile) but it was a seminal Beeb game back in the day.
It certainly was! I really struggled with it either with keyboard or (digital) joystick, until I had the idea of making an analogue steering wheel using the volume wheel of an old radio. Throw in a small footboard with switches for gear, brake and accelerate, and my lap times tumbled :lol:

Only slight snag was that being a volume control it was a logarithmic potentiometer. A linear one would have been even better.
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

30 years back I did get as far as decoding the checksum routine that validates the track files allowing me to poke random values into a track and revalidate it

the result of this was sometimes weird angles in the track but mostly it just crashed the game XD

i never did work out how the data represented the track, I might have another go at it and would love to make some crazy roller coaster style tracks
randomly changing stuff in your code until it works is "hacky" and "bad coding practice"
do it fast enough and its called "machine learning"

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”