The iconic BBC Elite box screenshot, recreated

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

billcarr2005

Re: The iconic BBC Elite box screenshot, recreated

Post by billcarr2005 »

Arcadian wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:58 am
Is this the kind of thing you had in mind?
I was thinking of A2 portrait, with a larger logo at the top, similar to the ELITE design, but then you'd lose so much detail of the map by having it smaller.
The only other graphics are from the loading screen, which isn't so colourful or the picture from the cover, which might look OK (although the logo covers the top middle of that - does a "clean" version exist?

https://www.everygamegoing.com/covl/ele ... V2-000.jpg
chrisH

Post by chrisH »

Sorry to dredge this up, but I'm looking at getting some retro art for my new home-office wall.
Are the (Elite) high resolution files available so that I could get them printed in A3? Or is the poster orderable somewhere?

Figured it'd go nicely with twitter.com/stepickford/status/1347173975290482690 which I also plan on sticking up.

Thanks
ash73

Post by ash73 »

I always assumed that screenshot was staged for PR use, it's all perfectly positioned and I've never seen so much going on in game.
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

Gosh, I'd forgotten about this thread! :-)

If anyone is thinking of making posters etc. here's an updated version of the screenshot that fixes a number of small errors in my original version:
Elite-BBCMicro.png
Elite-BBCMicro.png (4.65 KiB) Viewed 354 times
This one should be pretty accurate - it doesn't have gap in the lines, and the radar EOR colouring is correct.

(I'll also update the version in the original post.)

Mark
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

chrisH wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:34 am
Or is the poster orderable somewhere?
I've got plenty of A2 posters left featuring the boxart - which are based on a high-res 1:1 scan I made of the A2 poster that was issued by Impact Posters in the 80s - see here - which actually looks better than the original, due to the quality of paper used. Though I haven't been actively promoting the posters recently as I've generally avoided shops, post offices etc since March - for obvious reasons.

Anyway, looks like there's a mobile post office that visits this little village once a week (every Wednesday for an hour) and it's quite 'safe' from what I've heard, so I don't mind shipping some posters out if you'd like any. They're generally £10 each + shipping with 25% going back into the Stardot Acorn Preservation Fund pot.

I've had several other Acorn-related posters produced (see here and here though I'm out of the BBC Micro 'Shape of Things to Come' design at the moment.

Finally, I've never advertised this before, but I had a short run of A1 posters printed on heavy duty PVC that features perfect recreations of all of the screenshots that appeared on the Acornsoft game boxes - including Elite - in catalogue number order ... the exception being Magic Mushrooms (which originally used a composite image) and the Tube Elite screenshot, which Mark adapted based on his original Elite screenshot recreation.

I've been a bit distracted with other things but at some point I still intend to do a run of an A3 poster design that features Mark's original Elite screenshot.
Attachments
AcornsoftGames_BBCMicro_A1Poster_001.jpg
AcornsoftGames_BBCMicro_A1Poster_003.jpg
AcornsoftGames_BBCMicro_A1Poster_004.jpg
AcornsoftGames_BBCMicro_A1Poster_005.jpg
AcornsoftGames_BBCMicro_A1Poster_006.jpg
AcornsoftGames_BBCMicro_A1Poster_007.jpg
AcornsoftGames_BBCMicro_A1Poster_008.jpg
AcornsoftGames_BBCMicro_A1Poster_009.jpg
AcornsoftGames_BBCMicro_A1Poster_010.jpg
AcornsoftGames_BBCMicro_A1Poster_012.jpg
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Oh, and I haven't had it printed yet, but here's an equivalent poster design I did in December, featuring all the screenshots from the Acornsoft Atom Games Packs.

All of the actual artwork for the Game Packs has been carefully redrawn in vector format for optimum sharpness - and the overall design is (obviously) based on the original Atom version of Snapper by Hugo Tyson.

I'm wondering if it's just worth getting posters produced for me and Mark (who did the legwork on the screenies) or whether anybody else would be interested. Again it would be a biggie (the pixel-based screenshots have been proportioned for perfect, sharp printing - with no 'smoothing' etc - at A1 size). Price-wise the Acornsoft BBC Games poster and Atom Games poster would be £30 together at A1 size plus shipping.
Attachments
Atom_AcornsoftGames_Poster.jpg
chrisH

Post by chrisH »

I'll take one of the A2 boxart posters please!
Is there a way to contact you, it says I can't PM?

Tempted with the BBC Acornsoft one too, but A1 is a bit big :( ... would prefer A2.

Thanks
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

chrisH wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:49 pm
I'll take one of the A2 boxart posters please!
Is there a way to contact you, it says I can't PM?

Tempted with the BBC Acornsoft one too, but A1 is a bit big :( ... would prefer A2.

Thanks
I've activated your PMs so you should be ok now.

re: the Acornsoft poster, you don't really do justice to the screenshots if you size the design down to A2. As I said I've had a short run of A1s produced (BBC Micro version) - if they all go then I can consider doing the next run on A2, but I think my preference would be A1 again, albeit on Satin paper (which could be offered more cheaply than the PVCs ... however the PVCs really are spectacular, as hopefully Mark will attest!).

You could probably get away with A2 for the Atom poster though as the screenshots are smaller ... and probably for the [upcoming] Electron design, as there will be far fewer screenshots as Acornsoft released less games for the Electron than they did on the Beeb.
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

Arcadian wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:14 pm
re: the Acornsoft poster, you don't really do justice to the screenshots if you size the design down to A2. As I said I've had a short run of A1s produced (BBC Micro version) - if they all go then I can consider doing the next run on A2, but I think my preference would be A1 again, albeit on Satin paper (which could be offered more cheaply than the PVCs ... however the PVCs really are spectacular, as hopefully Mark will attest!).
I can indeed. The A1 poster is great! You can really see the detail in the screenshots, which might be more of a challenge if it's scaled to A2... but A1 is pretty big. Is the printer's DPI fixed? An A2 poster with a higher DPI might work, though I don't know if that's possible.

Mark
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

I've opened a for-sale thread for the A1 Acornsoft BBC posters in the trading section.

Edit: So far 4 out of the 10 posters have been claimed (thanks ChrisH I've received your payment and will send it on Wednesday together with the other two).
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Arcadian wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:00 am
See below how the final poster will look when hung alongside the ship chart (don't worry that's scaled down massively and the screenshot will be 5-colour pixel sharp on the printed version) ...

Unfortunately I had to get my print order in last week but don't worry, I intend to put another order in towards the end of the week/early next week so this can be printed on the same run (I'm also going to get some copies of the ship chart printed, in case you or others want to keep the original copy safe in the box. The added bonus being this version won't have creases etc).
Ok, so 14 months after I said I'd get the screenshot posters printed "next week", I do actually mean it this time (well, provided there is still /some/ interest in them).

At the back end of November 2019 Mark and I were starting to go off my concept for the poster that features on the right hand side above, so that's been dropped in favour of the following, as we thought that presenting the screenshot in the style of the box-art would be more fitting/authentic:

EliteA3Poster_ScreenshotBBC.png

The above version includes the image that Mark updated the other day (note the preview features a distorted screenshot, but the screenshot on the print-out would be razor sharp, with no 'smoothing'.

There'd also be potential to do an Electron variant if any fans of the Elk version wanted one (as Mark has also recreated the screenshot that was on the back of the Electron Elite box). I could even do a second processor version if there was 'demand' as Mark kindly updated the standard Beeb screenshot to add the extra colours from the Tube version - as featured on the Acornsoft Screenshot poster:

Anyway, price-wise, printed on decent 170gsm Satin paper - either A3 poster (Screenshot or Ship Indentification Chart) would be £8.50 each plus £4 UK postage shipped in a tube, or £16 the pair plus £4 postage (£20 total, PPG preferred).

Of course, if you're ordering the Acornsoft Screenshot poster - or any of the other posters that I've got available at the moment - the Elites could be shipped with those at no extra charge (though I did ship 4 x giant Acornsoft poster orders out on Wednesday afternoon).

Edit: These are the poster designs I made back in November 2019 (using Mark's images of course) ... I forgotten I'd done one for the Executive Edition too (which features a different, 'space age' font for the embedded 'Front View' caption).

Note that Electron Elite features the wrong screenshot - the version in the snapshot below is a monochrome adaption of the BBC screenshot, however Mark has since re-created the actual screenshot that appeared on the Electron box, so I'd update the poster design to use this version (I believe the Electron version doesn't have suns, unless you're running jms2's co-pro version of course!).

EliteInlayPosters_SetOfFour.png
chrisH

Post by chrisH »

Oh blimey, better put me down for the pair of those :)
I'll PM you!
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Arcadian wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:53 am
Note that Electron Elite features the wrong screenshot - the version in the snapshot below is a monochrome adaption of the BBC screenshot, however Mark has since re-created the actual screenshot that appeared on the Electron box, so I'd update the poster design to use this version.
See below bottom left for the Electron screenshot that will be used .... ;)

Acornsoft_EliteX5_1-Fronts.jpg
Acornsoft_EliteX5_2-Backs.jpg

(note - wallets not for sale!)

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”