Please help - sorry to be that guy!

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

Domooo88

Please help - sorry to be that guy!

Post by Domooo88 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:13 pm

Hi. I have spent hours (years) time and time again looking for the name of a game(s) I played back in primary school!

It would have been 91-95 that my school had a couple of BBC Acorns. I remember two games that I played and I would love to know what they were!

First (the one I remember a little clearer) featured some or all of the following: witches, dragons, wands, I remember some kind of freezing mechanic from the wands?.

It was like a step by step logic puzzle to get past the dangers like the witch. I can't remember the aim other than to not get caught and I know it's vague and that some softwares were unique. (Nottinghamshire is the county if that helps some kind of locale based idea)

The second game is very vague though I just remember being enthralled. It felt like it may have been a solve the mystery style scenario. You would walk round maybe a school or some setting. Don't know if it felt like a Victorian era setting. It was very much a point and click to find clues and choice based story to progress.

I was 3-7 years oldish when I played these so the memories are like strange nostalgic snapshots in my mind but would be amazing to fill those gaps

Thanks in advance

Dom

Naomasa298

Re: Please help - sorry to be that guy!

Post by Naomasa298 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:24 pm

Can you describe the gameplay of the first one a bit more? Was it top down or sideways? One colour or many?

Likewise the second one? Did you go room to room, or was it scrolling? In fact, same for the first one.

klintworth

Post by klintworth » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:08 pm

Edit - Sorry, just noticed this was in the 8 Bit section, and both games below were later Acorn games!!

The first game might be Through The Dragon's Eye by BBC Soft - I have it, but never played it.

It's possible the second game may be Spywatch by Longman Logotron
500px-Through_the_Dragon's_Eye_cover.jpg
Through the Dragon's Eye
Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 3.07.26 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 3.07.41 PM.jpg
Spywatch
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle (sans IR Communicator!)

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:53 am

Through the Dragons Eye is archived at flaxcottage.com. :D

Spywatch is MIA. Can you send me a copy, pretty please. [-o< [-o<
- John

Domooo88

Post by Domooo88 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:59 am

Thanks for the quick support.

I've taken a look at screenshots and it's not either of those though I do appreciate the response

For the first game it was different colours and was more top down though you could see the whole sprites form rather than top of the head. It definitely wasn't side scrolling. Definitely 1992 or before as I remember playing this game in nursery/junior school

The second I am extremely vague on. Think it *might* have been a bit later than the first so I may be posting in completely the wrong place. It wasn't side scrolling, I guess it was almost room to room like a "dungeon" style game but set in some kind of school/place/small town maybe.

Thanks for the help and I apologise for being so vaguem trying to remember details from that young an age is giving me a headache but I have been looking on an off for a few years for evidence of their existence!

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:20 am

Domooo88 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:59 am
I've taken a look at screenshots and it's not either of those though I do appreciate the response
Could you please clarify exactly which computer these games were running on? Was it a BBC Micro? Or one of the Archimedes range of computers (which came after the 8-bit BBC Micro)? Or are you talking about two or more different computers..?

:?:

Domooo88

Post by Domooo88 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:54 am

Sure.

Pretty certain one of the Archimedes range. Looking at pictures I'm sure it was the A3020

Hope that helps!

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”