Electron Elite disk image.

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

rmbrowngr

Electron Elite disk image.

Post by rmbrowngr » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:43 pm

Does anyone have a disk version of Elite for the Electron which allows saving and loading of commanders to and from disk?

I have versions of Elite disk images for adfs and dfs, but only load or save commanders from and to tape.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi and Gotek.

danielj

Re: Electron Elite disk image.

Post by danielj » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:54 pm

It was never released for the electron on disk. Unless anyone's hacked it, I doubt it :(

d.

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:21 am

Your probably right according to this http://8bs.com/submit/subelite.htm
A version for the Acorn Electron, this is the simplest form of Elite. It has the reduced ship selection, and no suns so the fuel scoop is only useful for collecting cargo. The screen is monochrome, including the console, and graphics are wireframe with hidden line removal. All space stations are Coriolis model. There are no missions.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi, GoSDC MBE.

davidb

Post by davidb » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:10 pm

There's a disk version on Every Game Going. I couldn't test whether saving to disk worked. However, it seems to use cassette for loading, so I suspect it would need some hacking.

I don't know if there was ever source code available for the Electron version of the game at The Elite Home Page.

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:58 pm

I’ll see if I can dissemble it to see if I can gain any insights about changing this. Not really up my street, but there’s a challenge here. Hope there’s no encryption.
Richard B

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:57 pm

Elite typically did have anti-tampering CRC protection in a number of places.

I made a buildable disassembly of the BBC cassette version of Elite (probably the closest to the Electron version) which you can find on GitHub here: https://github.com/kieranhj/elite-beebasm
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

davidb

Post by davidb » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:20 pm

The disk images will have been deprotected to an extent, though you will need to trust that the conversion was done correctly by whoever did it.

If you start from the cassette version, use the Superior re-release because it had some (all?) of the original Acornsoft protection removed, assuming that I remember correctly.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:02 pm

/\ it had a bug removed that stopped hyper space (or something like that) it was only tape , no disc release
ImageImageImage

gidandridge

Post by gidandridge » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:49 pm

That's about right. It was galactic hyperspace. In the original Acornsoft release this was broken, and fixed in the Superior release. :D

As a young lad I spent hours trying to hyperspace out of Galaxy one. Back then I had no idea that it was a bug! :roll:
Gav. :D

BBC Model B Sidewise ROM Board, GoSDC, Datacentre, Hybrid Music 5000
Acorn Electron Plus 1, AP6, GoSDC, Slogger Pegasus 400

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:58 pm

gidandridge wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:49 pm
That's about right. It was galactic hyperspace. In the original Acornsoft release this was broken, and fixed in the Superior release. :D

As a young lad I spent hours trying to hyperspace out of Galaxy one. Back then I had no idea that it was a bug! :roll:
I had noticed that back then having the Acornsoft release, but thoroughly enjoyed it anyway.
Richard B

JohnH

Post by JohnH » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:16 am

Just out of interest how would you go about changing the code so that you can save and load commanders to/from disk.

Presumably the original code will trample all over the DFS/ADFS workspace and will need that space in order to fit into memory. Will you use some kind of compression/decompression or try to find a corner of memory to swap the FS memory into while disk access takes place or something else I haven't thought of.

I suppose it's even possible that you could instruct the compiler to just avoid using the FS workspace if you can get the code to fit in without it. Would that even work? I guess the code would compile without any references to addresses in that space?

It's a shame the MOS wasn't written so that you could vector (is that the right term?) it to use workspaces at addresses of your choosing but I suppose that might've added complexity for dubious benefit with a potential speed loss depending on the process involved.

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:30 pm

DFS E00 - would work - Slogger's Pegasus or my AP3!

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

JohnH

Post by JohnH » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:27 am

Hmm tricky 8) while that is no doubt a solution for those with a DFS that leaves page at E00, I wonder how many Elk owners have those, and how would those of us (with less understanding wives partners who veto ownership of original hardware :( ) who have to rely on emulators manage? Is there an E00 DFS emulated?

davidb

Post by davidb » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:20 pm

Elkulator includes ACP 1770 DFS which keeps PAGE at E00.

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:37 pm

There is a solution for the Plus 3 to have page at &E00, so I'll use this as an assumption.

I have been looking at Elite versions I have from www.acornelectron.co.uk e.g. ADFS (Page &1D00), DFS and UEF (also available on https://www.stairwaytohell.com/). It looks to me that both the ADFS and DFS versions may well lower page after loading as I see that the final bytes loaded are written into screen memory and I assume page is then lowered and the program lowered in memory (out of screen memory) regardless of page. I assume that the same code is used in both. This doesn’t happen in the tape version from what can see.

Note, the tape version indicates version 1, while the two disk versions indicate version 2 in the loader (file "Elite"). I'm hoping this does not mean different versions of the loader. There are some differences in the code between the tape and disk versions loaders.

There are three files In all versions, Elite, Eliteda (assuming “data”) and Eliteco (assuming code). I see the load address for Eliteco (if I’m correct) is &D00. I have had a quick look at the disassembled code using ADFS Explorer, but I need to this more systematically to understand matters. I also have quite a lot of learning to do for writing assembly for Acorn machines. I have only written 6502 assemble on different machines I used studying for a BTEC National Diploma in Engineering back in the 80’s. Must try and remember what these machines were called.

Haven't spent much time on this yet. All work and no play.
Richard B