Elite console colours

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

Doctorj1

Elite console colours

Post by Doctorj1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:28 pm

When I first load up Elite after a power on, the colours of the console on the bottom have a completely different palette. This is what it looks like:
The colours don't show up too well on this picture, but they are mostly blue, white and red rather than the usual yellow, green and red.
After choosing Y or N, the colours revert back to their normal colours like this:
After a BREAK, the colours stay normal, even when the game is first loaded. The other palette only returns after a power cycle or a CTRL+BREAK
I have tried this exact same disk image on an emulator and the colours are always consistent with how they should look.
Is this normal, or is there something wrong with my BBC Micro?

sweh

Re: Elite console colours

Post by sweh » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:07 am

This is normal. The game will even change to the blue/white schema if you get an escape capsule (at least I think that's what triggered it).
Rgds
Stephen

Doctorj1

Post by Doctorj1 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:23 am

sweh wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:07 am
This is normal. The game will even change to the blue/white schema if you get an escape capsule (at least I think that's what triggered it).
Ah ok, at least my Beeb isn't to blame! :D
Do you know what causes this, since it doesn't happen in BeebEm?

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:39 am

It'll just be how it was coded and some bit of memory that doesn't get wiped on a soft break, but does on a hard break.

If the emulator doesn't do what a real beeb does, then it's a bug in the emulator :) Don't use emulators as your benchmark :D

d.