Exile and GoSDC

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

LDIR

Exile and GoSDC

Post by LDIR » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:35 pm

Sorry, I'm new. I've made a search of this excellent forum and I'm none the wiser. Any help would be gratefully received.

My BBC Model B life has been resurrected and before I realised that I could build an inexpensive SD card reader, I'd already gone and bought a GoSDC. I didn't know about Exile when it was released and I'd be fascinated to see it in the flesh on the actual Beeb. I've seen references on here to Exile and GoSDC not getting along but if there's more detail then I didn't find it. I have the STH archive and most games work very nicely with GoSDC. Exile loads the title/loading screen, there's no sound and after several seconds, this changes to a blank screen and the Beeb is unresponsive after that. All I have installed are the BASIC and OS ROMs and GoSDC with the patched NDFS. There is no additional SRAM.

Is there an easy fix to get it to work? Is there a problem with the STH file? Or is it just the way that I've installed GoSDC? Or, is it GoSDC? Is it time for me to build the cheaper version that's featured elsewhere on these forums? Too many questions.

Andy1979

Re: Exile and GoSDC

Post by Andy1979 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:48 am

Try this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13795&p=228207&hili ... sd#p228207

Haven't tried it myself, but did have problems getting Exile going under MMFS on my Master Compact, so plan to try it when I get chance.

strawberrytau

Post by strawberrytau » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:07 am

Andy1979 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:48 am
Try this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13795&p=228207&hili ... sd#p228207

Haven't tried it myself, but did have problems getting Exile going under MMFS on my Master Compact, so plan to try it when I get chance.
This seems like a slightly different issue to the problem LDIR is having. The symptoms that the patch in that thread fixed were that Exile would load to the Menu screen, but when you pressed F0 to run, it would crash back to the Menu screen.

LDIR - as another very recent BBC re-owner, I'd heartily recommend SMART SPI for connecting an SD-card. It's cheap as chips and (apart from this Exile compatibility issue which is fixed in the linked thread) works very well.

My other suggestion LDIR is that you post your problem in that thread. There are people there who understand how Exile is coded and can surely help you.
Last edited by strawberrytau on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

LDIR

Post by LDIR » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:42 pm

With the help of John Kortink: with GoSDC, running ExileL works.