Search found 143 matches

by chinnyhill10
Tue May 25, 2021 12:23 pm
Forum: off-topic
Topic: Electric Cars - A general discussion platform
Replies: 90
Views: 2630

Re: Electric Cars - A general discussion platform

There's no credible case for hydrogen in cars; in buses it's more marginal, but still unconvincing for city buses (as opposed to long-distance). Likewise for rail it mostly doesn't make sense (compared to conventional electrification for long-distance/high-speed, and batteries for shorter distance ...
by chinnyhill10
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:39 pm
Forum: 8-bit acorn software: classic games
Topic: The worst commercial game...
Replies: 27
Views: 1420

Re: The worst commercial game...

I'm astonished by Licence to Kill... not only is the playing area the smallest of any BBC game, every single level is identical, most of the time your attempts to stab the baddies don't actually work, and if they walk towards you it can result in your death even if they don't get close. As a bit of...
by chinnyhill10
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:50 pm
Forum: 8-bit acorn software: classic games
Topic: The worst commercial game...
Replies: 27
Views: 1420

Re: The worst commercial game...

I seem to recall Rik The Roadie got a half decent review from one of the Acorn mags but is irredeemably awful on every system it was released on. And what makes it worse is that it was released at a time where, for the most part, it was no longer acceptable to release games as shoddy as that.
by chinnyhill10
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:11 pm
Forum: 8-bit acorn software: classic games
Topic: Harvey Headbanger
Replies: 14
Views: 881

Re: Harvey Headbanger

Do I detect a ChinnyVision spoiler? This time on ChinnyVision: Harvey Headbanger and the case of the mysterious Beeb port? PS: Still rocking the badge - somebody came up to me at work (now we're back) to ask the meaning behind it (apparently it's a source of confusion). I simply replied: The UK is ...
by chinnyhill10
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:10 pm
Forum: 8-bit acorn software: classic games
Topic: Harvey Headbanger
Replies: 14
Views: 881

Re: Harvey Headbanger

Pernod wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:43 pm
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:27 pm
Does anyone know why this wasn't released?
Why do you think it was unreleased? From A&B Computing:
HH_ABMar86.png
HH_ABApr86.png
A quid more for a download copy that doesn't work properly. How very 2021! :D
by chinnyhill10
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:03 pm
Forum: 8-bit acorn software: classic games
Topic: Harvey Headbanger
Replies: 14
Views: 881

Re: Harvey Headbanger

Chuckie wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:05 pm
Because the BBC Micro had standards. It wasnt a mass market games machine. There are plenty of quality games that have been released homebrew since then.
I'm not quite sure what your point is here. It's a decent game just lacking a computer opponent on the Beeb version.
by chinnyhill10
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:01 pm
Forum: 8-bit acorn software: classic games
Topic: Harvey Headbanger
Replies: 14
Views: 881

Re: Harvey Headbanger

Does anyone know why this wasn't released? Because every source I read said it was unreleased. I also asked around people who would know. No cover artwork floating around and it seems incomplete given all the other versions, even the humble C16, have a computer opponent. So it looks like it was dis...
by chinnyhill10
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:39 pm
Forum: 8-bit acorn software: classic games
Topic: Harvey Headbanger
Replies: 14
Views: 881

Re: Harvey Headbanger

scruss wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:52 pm
I'm pretty sure a two-player only game wouldn't have sold.

And yes, that Speccy version was such a disappointment, 'cos the Amstrad original was nearly perfect.
What seems odd is the AI logic existed in 6502, so surely not a huge job to take that from the 64 and just put it into the BBC version?
by chinnyhill10
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:27 pm
Forum: 8-bit acorn software: classic games
Topic: Harvey Headbanger
Replies: 14
Views: 881

Harvey Headbanger

Does anyone know why this wasn't released? Is it because it appears to be incomplete with no computer opposition AI?

Rather curious as apart from the missing AI it's a good match for the CPC, C64 and C16 versions. We won't mention the Spectrum version.

Anyone know?

Cheers.
by chinnyhill10
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:26 am
Forum: general
Topic: Apple goes ARM
Replies: 66
Views: 5574

Re: Apple goes ARM

True. Although the other issue of course is apart from memory on iMac it is just about impossible to change unless you buy the the £5k pro. Not just the Pro. It's a 5 minute job on the 27 inch (the biggest hassle for me was just laying the thing safely on the floor face down). No issue at all. 21 i...
by chinnyhill10
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:17 pm
Forum: general
Topic: Remarkable videos recently posted on Youtube
Replies: 411
Views: 70204

Re: Remarkable videos recently posted on Youtube

ChinnyVision's "Five Acorn Archimedes Games Reviewed!" A very nice video. I signed up to became one of Chinny Hill's Patreons today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zihs2lu7OCU&feature=youtu.be Careful, you don't know what kind of scumbag and lowlifes can be lurking around here. :D Ch...
by chinnyhill10
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:21 pm
Forum: 32-bit acorn software: classic games
Topic: Writing Games Back To Floppy
Replies: 4
Views: 850

Re: Writing Games Back To Floppy

Just to report, this seems to work pretty well. A few minor grumbles from Omniflop where I think a different disk format may have been used (Sim City keeps throwing errors) but other than that it works brilliantly. Thank you.
by chinnyhill10
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:36 pm
Forum: 32-bit acorn software: classic games
Topic: Writing Games Back To Floppy
Replies: 4
Views: 850

Re: Writing Games Back To Floppy

First format the real floppy in the A3000 to 800K E format. Change the file extension of the ADF image archive to ADL. Then use Acorn ADFS 800K D/E format to write the ADL image to a real floppy disk. For some reason or other OmniFlop regards ADF disk images as an Amiga format. When OmniFlop archiv...
by chinnyhill10
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:34 pm
Forum: general
Topic: Apple goes ARM
Replies: 66
Views: 5574

Re: Apple goes ARM

It'll be interesting to see how Rosetta 2 fares. My guess is it'll be an acceptable solution for Macbooks and iMacs because, to be blunt, nobody who cares about performance buys those. And Apple hasn't shown much interest in the Mac Pro line in recent years, so probably won't be devastated if peopl...
by chinnyhill10
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:23 pm
Forum: 8-bit acorn software: other
Topic: Why was BBC BASIC so fast?
Replies: 222
Views: 13637

Re: Why was BBC BASIC so fast?

I'm not sure about Amstrad - I've a feeling they had quite a fast Basic? CPC Basic was produced by Locomotive software who had one eye on Beeb Basic as the gold standard when they wrote it. But it was time constrained in development. The version of Basic Locomotive wrote for the PCW (Mallard) was s...
by chinnyhill10
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:39 pm
Forum: general
Topic: Apple goes ARM
Replies: 66
Views: 5574

Re: Apple goes ARM

But what about the modern app store approach? If the software houses release their software compiled for the different processor architectures being used the app store can presumably download the right one for the hardware you actually have and should be able to seamlessly upgrade from a JIT emulat...
by chinnyhill10
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:55 pm
Forum: general
Topic: Apple goes ARM
Replies: 66
Views: 5574

Re: Apple goes ARM

It's going to be a bit odd for us 'creatives" because the thought of a less powerful processor won't go down well when trying to shuttle around multiple 4k video streams. But I'm not sure Apple care about us any more Did you see the Final Cut Pro Demo at the keynote demoing exactly that? Manip...
by chinnyhill10
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:50 pm
Forum: general
Topic: Apple goes ARM
Replies: 66
Views: 5574

Re: Apple goes ARM

It's going to be a bit odd for us 'creatives" because the thought of a less powerful processor won't go down well when trying to shuttle around multiple 4k video streams. But I'm not sure Apple care about us any more. I get why they want control though. Large power hungry hot running Intel chip...
by chinnyhill10
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:43 pm
Forum: 32-bit acorn software: classic games
Topic: Writing Games Back To Floppy
Replies: 4
Views: 850

Writing Games Back To Floppy

The games forum seems the most appropriate place to ask this I hope as I guess what I'm trying to do will be something other users have experienced. I'm using Omniflop on a Windows XP box with internal 3.5 inch drive to write ADF images to floppy for use on my A3000. It however seems to be a hit and...
by chinnyhill10
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:56 pm
Forum: acorn atom and acorn system series
Topic: Atom delivery by Hermes
Replies: 21
Views: 1906

Re: Atom delivery by Hermes

Hermes drivers are paid by the delivery/collection, so if they don't deliver, they don't get paid for it. They're freelancers. AFAIK, UPS drivers aren't - they're employees of the company. I think DPD are also freelancers, but they're a higher caliber (and probably get paid more per delivery). They...
by chinnyhill10
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:55 pm
Forum: acorn atom and acorn system series
Topic: Atom delivery by Hermes
Replies: 21
Views: 1906

Re: Atom delivery by Hermes

Hermes are pretty bad. They are known to treat parcels badly at the dept. Of course packaging is REALLY important but I never send anything important or delicate to them. If you can drop at a UPS parcel shop you'll find they aren't that much more expensive frankly. A few quid saved but handled badly...
by chinnyhill10
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:50 pm
Forum: 8-bit acorn hardware
Topic: Atom Video Output
Replies: 7
Views: 624

Re: Atom Video Output

The Dragon used the same 6847 video chip and had similar 60Hz to 50Hz circuitry as did the PAL versions of the Tandy colour computers. I wonder why Motorola didn't produce a 50Hz version of the 6847 as it was used in a lot of 50Hz machines. Most colour TVs from the late 80s onwards would lock to 50...
by chinnyhill10
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:29 pm
Forum: 8-bit acorn hardware
Topic: Atom Video Output
Replies: 7
Views: 624

Re: Atom Video Output

Also every composite monitor in the 80's had a vertical hold. I have a (very popular) Philips Computer Monitor 80 that can easily be adjusted to display a good and stable picture. In fact I can set it up that it will "catch up" with both the Atom at 60 Hz and the Electron at 50 Hz. Also m...
by chinnyhill10
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:27 pm
Forum: 8-bit acorn hardware
Topic: Atom Video Output
Replies: 7
Views: 624

Re: Atom Video Output

Of course, I was forgetting the V-hold control was still commonplace unless you had a very high end TV. I had a 1989 Decca colour with no V-Hold (presumably it was automatic by then) that would happily display 60Hz, but a 1994 Bush that would refuse. It's a curiosity of the era we have now forgotten...
by chinnyhill10
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:17 pm
Forum: 8-bit acorn hardware
Topic: Atom Video Output
Replies: 7
Views: 624

Atom Video Output

The Atom is a bit of a hole in my knowledge and I was wondering if someone could clear something up for me about the display. By the looks of it, Acorn had to use a chip that generated a 60Hz signal for the display. Presumably this would have meant a great deal of users would have been unable to use...
by chinnyhill10
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:18 pm
Forum: general
Topic: Remarkable videos recently posted on Youtube
Replies: 411
Views: 70204

Re: Remarkable videos recently posted on Youtube

I'm going to plonk this down here because I think it's relevant to Beeb owners in what also been a great year for gaming for them. Stunt Car Racer surprised everyone. And now it's the CPC's turn with a port of Pinball Dreams. Batman Group have leveraged the same CRTC chip the Beeb has to do somethin...
by chinnyhill10
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:04 pm
Forum: off-topic
Topic: Experiences with 4G broadband
Replies: 16
Views: 1629

Re: Experiences with 4G broadband

Boydie wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:27 am
TP-Link offer a free DynamicDNS service with their routers.
Ooh didn't see that. But then I wouldn't actually read the manual would I?

[mutter mutter, been using computers since 1985 I don't have to read that mutter mutter]
by chinnyhill10
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:39 pm
Forum: off-topic
Topic: Experiences with 4G broadband
Replies: 16
Views: 1629

Re: Experiences with 4G broadband

Forgot to add that going to 4G means I have lost my fixed IP. No huge deal except I no longer have the novelty of having chums miles away drop files directly onto my Amstrad CPC via it's M4 card! Not essential but I do like to show off!
by chinnyhill10
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:09 pm
Forum: off-topic
Topic: Experiences with 4G broadband
Replies: 16
Views: 1629

Re: Experiences with 4G broadband

Late to the party here. Lived in this house for 10 years and the best ADSL we've ever had was 3 meg but often closer to two. In July I decided to try 3's unlimited plan with an external Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 aerial as 3 were the only unlimited party in town. The experience was mixed. It was much fa...
by chinnyhill10
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:09 pm
Forum: off-topic
Topic: Capturing interlaced / 50Hz video
Replies: 46
Views: 4281

Re: Capturing interlaced / 50Hz video

You have to deinterlace at some stage and turn it into 50p. Your choice of deinterlacer is down to you. I use a Pioneer DVD recorder to take the RGB, deinterlace it and then it squirts it out as component which I then capture. I could do it as HDMI but I prefer component. Then you upscale if you wis...

Go to advanced search