Next generation RISC OS computer announcement

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
Zarchos

Next generation RISC OS computer announcement

Postby Zarchos » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:49 pm

“ARMini.MX

“The Next Generation RISC OS Computer

“R-Comp Interactive, in partnership with a group of RISC OS companies and enthusiasts, is proud to announce
the ARMini.MX computer (provisional name). Powered by the latest i.MX6 CPU architecture, and running the
latest RISC OS 5 operating system, we know that this new system will excite anyone looking for a “next gen”
pure-ARM RISC OS computer system. Its purpose is clear – the new baseline RISC OS computer for the future.

“Perhaps the most exciting thing about the i.MX system is that it ticks all the boxes. Whereas previous ARM
boards (Pi, Beagle, Panda etc) have offered steadily increasing CPU performance, other aspects (disc / storage,
networking, video etc) were in some ways a step back from older machines such as the Iyonix. The RISC OS
scene desperately needs a system that can completely supercede these old, much-loved warhorses. ARMed
(pardon the pun) with hardware gigabit ethernet, and SATA drive connectivity (up to 300Mb/sec) for SSDs, as
well as the latest high-speed ARM core and 2Gb DDR3 RAM, this new computer excels in every area.

“The new platform is the result of a “meeting of minds” of different RISC OS-orientated companies. The design
was selected for many reasons, not least the fact that the specification met the criteria of what a new RISC OS
computer needed. We also looked at software compatibility, longevity – the CPU chosen has a 10+ year
availability and flexibility. One of the partners is designing a whole new baseboard for the chip, for example.

“The new computer typically feels much faster in use than any previous ARM-powered system. Boot time is very
quick, and applications load in the blink of an eye. To give some real-world examples of performance, email
operations that took 30sec on an ARMini complete in -1 sec on the new machine. Similarly, compiling a RISC
OS ROM takes -50mins on Iyonix, down to about 20mins onARMiniX and 14mins on the new machine (and
that’s not even full speed!). This is backed up by an array of USB ports, and Gigabit networking which is done
in hardware rather than via USB. Coupled with the native SATA for storage, this frees the USB system of the
traditional performance shackles. Internal storage is available in various forms – whilst conventional hard drives
can be used, high speed solid state disks are the standard choice, and there is removable storage (SD and MS
card readers) too. For graphics, both DVI and HDMI are supported at high resolutions for digital connection to
modem LCD monitors and TVs. This ensures a better quality of picture – sharper and crisper than before.

“Whilst most modem RISC OS applications (Ovation Pro, Techwriter, Artworks, DataPower, Messenger Pro,
NetFetch, NetSurf, Photodesk and so on) should work fine, some of your Iyonix-era software may need updating
and old RiscPC era apps will not work natively, although in most cases Aemulor solves this. Compatibility is
effectively the same as the ARMiniX due to similarities in CPU architecture (another reason for its selection).

“The form below allows you to register with us to be contacted when the machine is ready, or pre-order with a
deposit – early machines in time for Christmas all being well.”
Last edited by Zarchos on Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveejhitchins

Re: Next generation RISC OS computer announcement

Postby daveejhitchins » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:02 am

Are we missing the 'Form'? And, is there a link to a web site for more information, please?

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:09 am

daveejhitchins wrote:Are we missing the 'Form'? And, is there a link to a web site for more information, please?

The OP on the ROOL forum didn't post more (and I corrected the mistakes in the text where it was 'RISC as' instead of 'RISC OS' ;-) ).
Hey, you could thank me for the effort !
:lol:

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:45 pm

Zarchos wrote:Hey, you could thank me for the effort !
Consider yourself thanked =D> :D

I speed read the text - saw 'Form below' and missed the quotation marks! I also read the 'RISC as' correctly :wink:

Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:09 pm

daveejhitchins wrote: I also read the 'RISC as' correctly :wink:

Corrected the one I hadn't spotted :wink:

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:01 pm

Looks interesting, so thanks for posting. :D

Will be good when there is something real to look at - sounds like they are hoping this year.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Fri May 29, 2015 3:54 am

Just reading about new Freescale i.MX6 SoCs and remembered this thread, and the message at the top of this page: http://www.armini.co.uk/

Out by Christmas, eh? Which year? :wink:

Anyone know any more? I'm still curious about these machines (but get enough RiscOS on my Pis.)

EDIT: bit of surfing gets me this - now called the ARMX6 and looks like it is coming along slowly ...

http://www.riscository.com/2015/3869/#more-3869

poink

Postby poink » Fri May 29, 2015 5:15 am

The guesses I've seen (that I'd agree with) are that it's based around the Wandboard Quad. It fits the spec, and is cheap enough that actually designing your own board for the i.MX6 itself wouldn't be worthwhile, at least not for the quantities that R-Comp can expect to shift - although, producing a carrier board (to the EDM form factor) might be worth it

RobC

Postby RobC » Fri May 29, 2015 6:30 am

poink wrote:The guesses I've seen (that I'd agree with) are that it's based around the Wandboard Quad.

This thread would appear to confirm it:
http://www.iconbar.com/forums/viewthread.php?threadid=12232

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Fri May 29, 2015 7:07 am

Thanks for the links.

Looks like it is still alive, then, which is good. :D

Return to “hardware”