PS/2 keyboard and mouse to Archimedes adapter

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
IanB

PS/2 keyboard and mouse to Archimedes adapter

Postby IanB » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:00 am

I've designed an adapter to connect a PS/2 keyboard and mouse to an Archimedes or A5000 etc., mainly so I can use these machines via a KVM switchbox from the same console as the rest of my computers.

Construction is very simple as it uses just a PIC 16F88, a crystal and a couple of capacitors together with some PS/2 extension leads cut in half so I ended up building it directly on a turned pin socket without any circuit board.

I've got the mouse and keyboard protocol translation software working, but I'm currently looking at the best way of handling the various incompatabilities between the PS/2 keyboard and Acorn layouts, like the caps lock/ctrl and double quote/@ swap. I think the best solution is to have two modes, a game mode with keys physically matching the Acorn layout as close as possible and a normal mode where the keys actually correspond with their legends. Modes could be switched using the windows keys on the PS/2 keyboard which have no function on an Archimedes.

Here's a pic of the adapter although it's not much to look at:

ps2cable.JPG
(58.55 KiB) Downloaded 464 times

When it's finished, I'll post the code here but if anyone would like to do any beta testing, please let me know (You'll need a PIC programmer!)

Ian

IanS

Re: PS/2 keyboard and mouse to Archimedes adapter

Postby IanS » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:04 pm

Awesome.

It would be good to see a pcb with a couple of ps/2 sockets on it made up. I suspect you'd get a lot of interest if you started selling them.

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Fab =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :D :D :D :D :D :D

Circuit boards for numpties like me would be great :shock:

riscknight

Postby riscknight » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:42 pm

Looks very promising.

Well Done.
"Who you choose to be around you... lets you know who you are.
Life is simple. You make choices and you don't look back...".

danielj

Postby danielj » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:48 pm

Looks ace. I'm happy to test the mouse-part of it?

d.

TheCorfiot

Postby TheCorfiot » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:50 pm

Superb
My RPC would love one of these.

TC :)

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:53 pm

Looks interesting and useful :D =D>

I do like the idea of reducing the number of keyboards, as I find that I often type away on the wrong one :oops: #-o

If the circuit is not complex, a piece of strip-board would do... (with the same arrangement of using PS/2 extension leads cut in half).

I can program PIC chips (and I think I have a spare PIC 16F88) so if you want me to do any beta testing, or strip-board layouts, let me know.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

IanB

Postby IanB » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:57 pm

1024MAK wrote:I can program PIC chips (and I think I have a spare PIC 16F88) so if you want me to do any beta testing, or strip-board layouts, let me know.

I don't seem to be able to send PMs (probably not enough posts) but it looks like I can receive them so if you send me a PM with your email address, I'll send you the details.

danielj wrote:Looks ace. I'm happy to test the mouse-part of it?

If you mean you want to use a PS/2 mouse with an Archimedes keyboard, this adapter won't do that, you need a PS/2 to quadrature adapter and I think there are a few commercial solutions available as well as a DIY version by someone else although that version has some issues with KVMs so I may do my own DIY version of that when this adapter is finished.

TheCorfiot wrote:My RPC would love one of these.

Risc PCs already use a PS/2 keyboard and if you mean the mouse, you need the quadrature adapter mentioned above.

IanS wrote:It would be good to see a pcb with a couple of ps/2 sockets on it made up.

I've not investigated low volume pcb production before, so does anyone have any pointers?

Ian

paulv

Postby paulv » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:02 pm

I'd be interested in a few of these for my A5000, A410/1 and A310. I don't have PIC programming capability though so I'd need to buy some pre-programmed I guess :D

I know Jon Abbott has a similar project on the back burner at the mo whilst he's working on ADFFS for the Arc's too. It may be worth having a chat with him about it too.

Paul

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Interesting project indeed...!

IanB wrote:I've got the mouse and keyboard protocol translation software working, but I'm currently looking at the best way of handling the various incompatabilities between the PS/2 keyboard and Acorn layouts, like the caps lock/ctrl and double quote/@ swap.

How was this handled on the RiscPC? That uses a PS/2 keyboard... or was it not handled at all (tbh I never played that many games on the RiscPC).

jms2

Postby jms2 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:06 pm

I'm not sure it was handled at all - doesn't cause any real problem in practice.

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:43 pm

Hi Ian,

This looks like a very handy project indeed!

Would you be willing to post the PIC assembler source so I could have a go at building one?

I'd just made a spur of the moment purchase on ebay, and I doubt it will be coming with a keyboard or mouse:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-Computers-A4000-Computer-2MB-80MB-HD-/360679431846

Thanks

Dave

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:01 pm

paulv wrote:I know Jon Abbott has a similar project on the back burner at the mo whilst he's working on ADFFS for the Arc's too. It may be worth having a chat with him about it too.

I have indeed, have all the chips, programming gear, sockets, cable etc. just not the time to design and code the PIC code.

I have a working mouse adapter using a 16F84 (for RiscPC) and went for an Atmel 89C4051 for the combined mouse/keyboard (for Arcs) as its close to the embedded CPU in the Arc keyboard.

Annoying the Eagle software had the pinout of the 9 pin din incorrect, so I had to redesign the mouse only board, I've yet to etch and retest, but am planning on doing so in the next few months.

I think I part designed the board for the combined one, based on the Arc schematics, but haven't touched it for over a year. I'd dearly love to chuck all these pesky mice that are littering my test area!

Ian, drop me an email I'm happy to test: jon@jaspp.org.uk

JonC

Postby JonC » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:05 pm

Sorry for the Necro post.

Is there a board layout/part list for this as I'd like to make a couple? :-k

Cheers :D

Jon
Jon

IanB

Postby IanB » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:02 am

JonC wrote:Sorry for the Necro post.

I made a followup post with construction details using an off the shelf prototyping PCB here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9334&p=107743

JonC

Postby JonC » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:21 pm

IanB wrote:
JonC wrote:Sorry for the Necro post.

I made a followup post with construction details using an off the shelf prototyping PCB here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9334&p=107743

Cheers Ian, that one didn't come up on my searches for some reason. :mrgreen:
Jon

munchausen

Postby munchausen » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:05 pm

IanB wrote:
danielj wrote:Looks ace. I'm happy to test the mouse-part of it?

If you mean you want to use a PS/2 mouse with an Archimedes keyboard, this adapter won't do that, you need a PS/2 to quadrature adapter and I think there are a few commercial solutions available as well as a DIY version by someone else although that version has some issues with KVMs so I may do my own DIY version of that when this adapter is finished.

Sorry for the necro-post, but this sounds like it is converting PS/2 mouse to quadrature (as well as PS/2 keyboard to arc). I must be misunderstanding something? Does the A5000 not use quadrature mice?

IanB

Postby IanB » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:52 pm

munchausen wrote:Sorry for the necro-post, but this sounds like it is converting PS/2 mouse to quadrature (as well as PS/2 keyboard to arc). I must be misunderstanding something? Does the A5000 not use quadrature mice?

The Archimedes / A5000 etc keyboard has a socket for a quadrature mouse but decodes the quadrature signals in the keyboard itself and outputs a combined serial data stream containing info on keys pressed and mouse movements so the Arc never sees the quadrature signals. The converter takes a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse in and ouputs the same serial data stream as the Arc keyboard so there are no quadrature signals.

poink

Postby poink » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:55 am

IanB wrote:The Archimedes / A5000 etc keyboard has a socket for a quadrature mouse but decodes the quadrature signals in the keyboard itself and outputs a combined serial data stream containing info on keys pressed and mouse movements so the Arc never sees the quadrature signals.

Incidentally, it should be usable on any of the Archimedes machines - all of the VIDC systems; including the A30x0 and A4000, use the same system due to the keyboard interface (KART) being implemented in the IOC. The ones that have an integrated keyboard simply place the the microprocessor (87C51) that would be in a detachable keyboard on the motherboard.
Last edited by poink on Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

munchausen

Postby munchausen » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:56 am

IanB wrote:
munchausen wrote:Sorry for the necro-post, but this sounds like it is converting PS/2 mouse to quadrature (as well as PS/2 keyboard to arc). I must be misunderstanding something? Does the A5000 not use quadrature mice?

The Archimedes / A5000 etc keyboard has a socket for a quadrature mouse but decodes the quadrature signals in the keyboard itself and outputs a combined serial data stream containing info on keys pressed and mouse movements so the Arc never sees the quadrature signals. The converter takes a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse in and ouputs the same serial data stream as the Arc keyboard so there are no quadrature signals.

Aha - makes sense :)

So now I have another question!

On the A3010 (and A3020 I'm guessing) there is a socket on the motherboard for a "normal" acorn keyboard (that isn't routed to the back of the machine). If that's the same (albeit with a different pinout) as the A5000 and so on, presumably you could plug your adapter into it? (and even replace the acorn mouse socket at the rear of the machine with a combined PS/2 keyboard/mouse socket).

poink

Postby poink » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:03 am

munchausen wrote:(and even replace the acorn mouse socket at the rear of the machine with a combined PS/2 keyboard/mouse socket).

With judicious track cutting, you could actually do this on any of the Arcs - the standard Arc keyboard connector is the same as the PS/2 connector (and, fortunately, for people who try PS/2 devices, the power is on the same pins!). As there's a standard(-ish) layout for a combining keyboard and mouse in one PS/2 connector, it could work out very well on the Arcs.

IanB

Postby IanB » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:34 pm

munchausen wrote:On the A3010 (and A3020 I'm guessing) there is a socket on the motherboard for a "normal" acorn keyboard (that isn't routed to the back of the machine). If that's the same (albeit with a different pinout) as the A5000 and so on, presumably you could plug your adapter into it? .

Yes the adaptor should work on all Acorn RISCOS machines apart from the RISC PC and A7000/+. On systems like the A3010 with a built in keyboard you will have to change a link on the motherboard to switch from the internal keyboard to the socket.

Return to “hardware”