CMS system initial findings.

discussion of games, software, hardware & emulators relating to the Acorn Atom
Prime

CMS system initial findings.

Postby Prime » Wed May 16, 2018 11:33 pm

Posted to FB group but posting here too as some people are not on FB

Right initial findings on CMS machine. Machine works, having removed the battery and checked the PSU for Rifas (it doesn't appear to have any). I've managed to dump 2 out of the three roms successfully, but the third is a 27513, which is a a 64K ROM but in 4x16K pages. My Wellon sees it as a 27512, and reads it as that but I don't think what it reads is good. I have the data sheet so may try rigging it up to an AVR to read it.

Looking at the documentation I may also be able to use the monitor to bank it in 16K at a time, copy the ROM to RAM, and then *save it to disk.

Disk interface works and I was able to read an Atom / System disk and was able to format a DFS disk with *form80 0 Interestingly the disk interface has lots of blank chip positions and a 40 pin connector on it too. Though I remember reading something about a winchester so maybe they are the options for that.

The keyboard mostly works but unfortunately space is broken (it's a hard switch over membrain type so I don't think it's fixable). But according to the docs it's just serial I think at 5V so should be able to whip up a PS/2 to serial converter with an AVR.

Have lots of Docs to scan

Cheers.

Phill.

Pernod

Re: CMS system initial findings.

Postby Pernod » Thu May 17, 2018 11:53 am

Looking forward to emulating this unique find :) Looks like there's lots of lovely schematics to scan in there too.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

Prime

Re: CMS system initial findings.

Postby Prime » Thu May 17, 2018 1:06 pm

Pernod wrote:Looking forward to emulating this unique find :) Looks like there's lots of lovely schematics to scan in there too.

Yes there are schematics but they are only A4, but readable. Also a reasonable amount of technical info in the manuals.

Cheers.

Phill.