Fixed it!

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 8:23 pm

Fixed it!

Postby DaveBurke » Wed May 16, 2018 8:21 pm

As I mentioned in my introduction thread, my old Beeb's PSU exploded. So, I ordered a capacitor replacement kit from Retroclinic on eBay, and fixed it tonight.

Hmm... looks like someone has had the PSU apart before me. C9 had been replaced with something weird, and they'd hamfistedly desoldered it so badly that the copper tracks had lifted from the PCB, and there's a star washer missing from one of the earth connections.

I've fixed it up with some little wire links to the nearest intact pads, and replaced the missing star washer.

As I was putting it back together, the -5V pin on the motherboard just snapped clean off. I was being very gentle with it, but I suspect it had been bent beforehand. I replaced it with a little pin and push on connector from the bits box.

Plugged it in, flicked the switch......

Booooooo BEEP. Yay!

User avatar
Posts: 583
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 11:45 am
Location: York

Re: Fixed it!

Postby trixster » Wed May 16, 2018 8:45 pm

Top work! Another beeb in the land of the living =D>
A3020 | A3000 | A420/1 | BBC B + 128K RAM/ROM + 20K Shadow + Pi0 + VideoNuLA
Master Turbo + DC + BeebSID | Atom | A4000 060 | A3000 060 | A1200 060 | A500
Atari Falcon 060 | Saturn | PS1 | SNES | CPC6128 | C64 | 3DO | MD | Jaguar

User avatar
Posts: 4070
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:23 pm
Location: Newton Aycliffe, County Durham

Re: Fixed it!

Postby daveejhitchins » Thu May 17, 2018 5:01 am

DaveBurke wrote:Plugged it in, flicked the switch......

Booooooo BEEP. Yay!

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

User avatar
Posts: 2370
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:25 am

Re: Fixed it!

Postby tricky » Thu May 17, 2018 5:51 am

I use the cut off legs from fitted x2 caps to lie where a track has been broken from one hole back to the nearest through hole component or even resistor legs for lighter work.