Puff - running in an emulator

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
stevenjameshodgson

Puff - running in an emulator

Postby stevenjameshodgson » Sun May 13, 2018 7:43 pm

Hi. I've discovered that if you want to play the "Puff" text adventure (http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=2195), if you play with your emulator set to BBC B, the game will crash (annoyingly near the end) with a "No room" error.

I've managed to play it through to the end by downloading the .ssd file, setting BeebEm to run as a Master 128, and loading the .ssd file.

Don't forget you'll need to take write protection off the disk to be able to save your game.

Apparently the entry for Puff on bbcmicro.co.uk has now been updated so that the game boots in Master mode. :)

lurkio

Re: Puff - running in an emulator

Postby lurkio » Mon May 14, 2018 2:18 pm

stevenjameshodgson wrote:Hi. I've discovered that if you want to play the "Puff" text adventure (http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=2195), if you play with your emulator set to BBC B, the game will crash (annoyingly near the end) with a "No room" error.

Hi. Thanks for reporting this. As you're the resident expert on this game :wink: would you mind playing through this new version of the disc-image in Model B mode? (All I've done is edit the !BOOT so that it will set PAGE to &1700 if PAGE is initially higher than &E00):

:?:

stevenjameshodgson

Postby stevenjameshodgson » Mon May 14, 2018 2:56 pm

lurkio wrote:
stevenjameshodgson wrote:Hi. I've discovered that if you want to play the "Puff" text adventure (http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=2195), if you play with your emulator set to BBC B, the game will crash (annoyingly near the end) with a "No room" error.

Hi. Thanks for reporting this. As you're the resident expert on this game :wink: would you mind playing through this new version of the disc-image in Model B mode? (All I've done is edit the !BOOT so that it will set PAGE to &1700 if PAGE is initially higher than &E00):

Disc999-Puff-test.ssd.zip

Hi Lurkio, that seems to work fine - I was able to play the whole game through with no errors. :D

Steve

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon May 14, 2018 6:30 pm

stevenjameshodgson wrote:
lurkio wrote:As you're the resident expert on this game :wink: would you mind playing through this new version of the disc-image in Model B mode? (All I've done is edit the !BOOT so that it will set PAGE to &1700 if PAGE is initially higher than &E00)...

Hi Lurkio, that seems to work fine - I was able to play the whole game through with no errors. :D

Thanks! I've now uploaded the updated disc-image to bbcmicro.co.uk.

But what's strange is that although the updated disc-image works in Model B mode in BeebEm, it hangs in Model B mode in JSBeeb! (Not sure why...) So I've just kept it booting into Master mode (on bbcmicro.co.uk) for now.

billcarr2005

Postby billcarr2005 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:31 pm

Would you care to try this?
It's a hastily hacked version taken from the ESM disk, so it's got their title screen.
I've had to remove some sector header reading code, otherwise it got stuck in JSBeeb, but it loads up...
Attachments
ES649 Puff.zip
(34.11 KiB) Downloaded 4 times