ADVANCED FOLIO

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
flaxcottage

ADVANCED FOLIO

Postby flaxcottage » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Does anyone have a copy of the Signature Disc for Advanced Folio by Tedimen Software in an unprotected state? [-o< [-o<

My copy is a 3.5" ADFS version and is very well protected. It works but will take a long time to crack even if I am able to do it.

Thanks in anticipation.
- John

I'll be at ...

Well, actually 2018 and the 21st. They haven't changed the banner yet!! [-X :lol:

danielj

Re: ADVANCED FOLIO

Postby danielj » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:23 pm

Jon, bring it to Wakefield and we can kryoflux it - we'll be able to spot what Shenanigans they've got up to very very quickly...
:D

d.

billcarr2005

Postby billcarr2005 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:27 pm

I've got both the 40T and 80T Version 2.0 DFS Signature disks with "Cannot be copied" on the label. Can take a look later, if it would be any use?

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:02 pm

@Daniel - No problem. I'll bring it along on the 21st.

@billcarr2005 - My disc is Version 2 as well but is ADFS. Your DFS ones should be the same software just on a different filing system. Provided they don't do any *DISC or *DRIVE commands they could be copied onto ADFS to complete my set.

Thanks for your help, guys. =D>
- John

I'll be at ...

Well, actually 2018 and the 21st. They haven't changed the banner yet!! [-X :lol:

billcarr2005

Postby billcarr2005 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:39 pm

flaxcottage wrote:@billcarr2005 - My disc is Version 2 as well but is ADFS. Your DFS ones should be the same software just on a different filing system. Provided they don't do any *DISC or *DRIVE commands they could be copied onto ADFS to complete my set.

Track 39,sector 9 had a deliberate CRC error. The sector was read twice, with each attempt resulting in a different read. The values of the bytes were added together each time and if the values were the same, StartUp knows it's a good, ie. copied, disc.
StartUp also seemed to contain some obfuscated / changing code and pushed RTS addresses onto the stack.
I've just changed the start of the "read bad sector" routine at &27C4 in StartUp to RTS / &60, which allows "Installing Folio." to be completed and the animated logo screen appear.
Under emulation, I couldn't get any further with the work disc... not sure if it's further protection kicking in or just an emulation glitch? :roll:

Edit: turns out the sector needed to be loaded, to execute some code, which just increments the value at &1B00 using the event vector, must be checked that it's changed somewhere later... new upload seems to work fine :)
"Broken" version had been downloaded 2 times :?
Attachments
Advanced FOLIO.zip
"FIXED" VERSION
(207.28 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:48 pm

Thanks for this upload. :D =D>

The first thing I discovered was that my software was incomplete. I was missing Work Disc "B".

The DFS software now seems to work just fine after your update. :D

I'll have a look at making an ADFS version to match the package I received. The signature disc seems to work OK when the disk title is changed. The ADFS versions are "Folio 2.0a Z" for some reason. If the disc titles do not match the signature disc complains and hangs. I'll also scan in the documentation - it is pretty big!
- John

I'll be at ...