ABUG SOUTH 1 to 3 June 2018 (Hampshire) BOOKING THREAD

meet fellow forum members at these classic gaming/computing events
Elminster

Re: ABUG SOUTH 1 to 3 June 2018 (Hampshire) BOOKING THREAD

Postby Elminster » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:29 pm

sydney wrote:
Elminster wrote: Not sure I will get time between now and June to revive my other distracted project of Master Telnet.

It's an ideal opportunity to get a full day (or two) to work on it!

True but I use an imac27, don’t fancy lugging that about. Although I should have a pi-Top up and running soon, once postman delivers it.

tricky

Postby tricky » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:20 pm

I'll be there, but maybe two day trips.

Bagpuss

Postby Bagpuss » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:29 pm

I know this a bit off topic, but I just wanted to put out a request for some help during the meet.

One of my best friends passed away just over a year ago from a brain tumour. We'd worked together at Sun for many years, and I regularly stayed with him and his family when I was working out of the Camberley offices. In fact, I'm going to be staying with his family during the meet.

When I was helping his widow go through his tech stuff, I found the computer which started it all for him... his Apple II.
I've not yet looked at it closely, but I know that caps in the PSU will need to be changed before we can try to power it on.

His family would very much like to get the computer working again, and it's with this, that I'd really appreciate some help.
Does anyone who's attending know much about the Apple II?

Thanks,

Andy.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless.

lazarusr

Postby lazarusr » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:48 pm

Most of the Apple II's, in particular, the Apple II Europlus (which is what I suspect your friend had) had Astec PSUs that were very similar to those in Beebs and have very similar RIFA paper capacitors. I do have some books on the Apple II that may cover this in a bit more detail.

The main problem with the Apple II is that in many of the PSU's the metal cover is held in place with rivets which will need to be drilled out to open it up. I understand that this is quite easy to do. However, having never drilled a rivet out of anything before, I don't propose to start with someone else's computer that has huge sentimental value.

Prime

Postby Prime » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:19 pm

Certainly my Apple //e has the Rifa caps, one of them is the same type as the Beeb ones, but the other is a much bigger value (and still needs changing).

Would probably help to have some pictures of the machine in question.

I'm sure I could be pursuaded to bring my drill and bits with me.....though having drilled the rivits out I'm not sure how to go about safely fixing the PSU shut again....luckily the //e has screws in it's PSU......

Cheers.

Phill.

flibble

Postby flibble » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:22 pm

Can I book a table for Saturday and Sunday, I should be able to make this one

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:49 am

My apple ii had screws, nothing to drill out.

d.

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:15 am

Prime wrote:I'm sure I could be pursuaded to bring my drill and bits with me.....though having drilled the rivits out I'm not sure how to go about safely fixing the PSU shut again....luckily the //e has screws in it's PSU......
After drilling out the rivets you could use cold rivits to replace them. You need some cold rivetys and a cold rivet gun. link I was quite adept at cold rivetting on my electrical engineering course 25 years ago. ;)

Tho' my preference would be for replacing the rivets with nuts and bolts.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

Prime

Postby Prime » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:49 pm

jgharston wrote:
Prime wrote:I'm sure I could be pursuaded to bring my drill and bits with me.....though having drilled the rivits out I'm not sure how to go about safely fixing the PSU shut again....luckily the //e has screws in it's PSU......
After drilling out the rivets you could use cold rivits to replace them. You need some cold rivetys and a cold rivet gun. link I was quite adept at cold rivetting on my electrical engineering course 25 years ago. ;)

Tho' my preference would be for replacing the rivets with nuts and bolts.

Ahh we called them pop rivets, and I do have a riviter somewhere.

Phill.

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:07 pm

Prime wrote:Ahh we called them pop rivets, and I do have a riviter somewhere.

Beware - sometime the mandrel can work loose - you don't want them rattling around in the power supply :shock:

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

helpful

Postby helpful » Tue May 08, 2018 6:44 pm

Right, I've booked into the hotel for the Saturday night, so please put me down for a table for Saturday and Sunday.

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

lazarusr

Postby lazarusr » Thu May 10, 2018 5:42 pm

The time has arrived when I need to ask people for payment. There is a one off cost of £15 per person. This covers the cost of the room hire plus the provision of tea, coffee, soft drinks and snacks. Preferred payment is by PayPal. I will send everyone a PM with my PayPal details. Please can you make sure you select the 'Sending to a friend or to family' option when completing the transaction (otherwise I will be charged a fee by PayPal).

In order to avoid some issues that arose at the last ABUG, I think we need to set a couple of reasonable ground rules:

1. No alcohol is to be consumed on the premises unless purchased from the venue.
2. No hot food is to be consumed on the premises unless purchased from the venue, unless you have strict dietary requirements that the venue cannot cater for.

We are getting the venue at a considerable discount in the expectation that people will make use of the facilities and I think we should be fair about this. I have tried the food and it is very good. (The Sunday carvery is highly recommended.) The venue is in a rural area and if you don't want to purchase meals on-site, you can always bring a picnic and eat it outside.

thomass

Postby thomass » Tue May 15, 2018 10:44 am

Hi,

I would like to come along, could you please put me down for Saturday. I'm not bringing any kit.

Thanks,

Thomas

lazarusr

Postby lazarusr » Tue May 15, 2018 12:19 pm

thomass wrote:Hi,

I would like to come along, could you please put me down for Saturday. I'm not bringing any kit.

Thanks,

Thomas

Excellent. I am sure you will have a great time.

I will send you a PM about payment.

thomass

Postby thomass » Tue May 15, 2018 12:45 pm

Hi Robert,

Thanks, looking forward to it. I've just sent payment.

Regards,

Thomas

SarahWalker

Postby SarahWalker » Tue May 15, 2018 5:20 pm

Will there be the usual amount of soldering type equipment around? My A3000 has died, and I have a greater chance of fixing it using decent equipment and with knowledgeable people in the vicinity :)

lazarusr

Postby lazarusr » Tue May 15, 2018 5:23 pm

SarahWalker wrote:Will there be the usual amount of soldering type equipment around? My A3000 has died, and I have a greater chance of fixing it using decent equipment and with knowledgeable people in the vicinity :)

I will probably bring my kit along.