I think I've just killed my AKF12 :(

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
Trapper

I think I've just killed my AKF12 :(

Postby Trapper » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:09 pm

I think I've just killed my AKF12. I picked it up last year from the original owner, it had been in his loft for a few years.

It's been working fine apart from the broken power button. I used an A30x0 Castle ADFS IDE mini podule backplane to keep it pushed in.

Today I reconnected it as it had been on my office floor for two months whilst I've been unwell.

Played the MegaDrive for a few hours today and suddenly the picture went and was replaced with a high pitched whining.

I assume this means the tube is dead?!

philb

Re: I think I've just killed my AKF12 :(

Postby philb » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:44 pm

I doubt it's the tube. Something in the power supply or line output circuit seems more likely.

If you can find a local TV service engineer who still knows how to fix CRTs then I imagine they can probably sort it out.

flaxcottage

Re: I think I've just killed my AKF12 :(

Postby flaxcottage » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:47 pm

The CRT will probably be OK.

The high pitched whining is likely to be the EHT circuit oscillating at the wrong frequency. It is likely that somewhere in the horizontal oscillator circuit right up to the line output transistor there will be a fault meaning that the circuit oscillates at the wrong frequency and produces the wrong output. It is probable that many of the other voltages are also derived from the EHT transformer and so the whole device fails.

For a competent CRT engineer this will be an easy fix but these engineers are few and far between nowadays.

Edit: As philb says - he beat me to it.
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

Return to “hardware”