B-Em

want to talk about MESS/model b/beebem/b-em/electrem/elkulator? do it here!
Coeus

Re: B-Em

Postby Coeus » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:53 pm

tricky wrote:That is running.
Is there an easy way to get the "beeb" layout keyboard?
@ is *
# is ]
actually, it looks like it might only be those two.

That is a quirk of Allegro 5. For some strange reason it uses the keymap for the keyboard you actually have on Linux and OS/X but the keymap for the US Keyboard on Windows. There's a bug in for it. In the mean time you could do Settings > Keyboard -> Remap Keyboard, click on those keys in turn and tap the correct keyboard key. Until the Allegro Guys work this one out we could always ship a b-em.cfg file with that keymapping in place with the Windows version.

tricky wrote:Is there a way to redefine the BREAK key?

Not at the moment, but I don't think it would be that hard to add.

tricky wrote:It doesn't recognise my joystick (HORI Fighting stick - PS3) and there doesn't seem to be an option to enable joysticks.
In my version of b-em, I support mapping joystick directions and buttons to keys so that even games without joystick support can work. I also allow a button to be mapped to exit to allow playing in a MAME cab etc. (I have a post somewhere about my launcher).
PS No flashing line here ;)

It is supposed to recognise the stick automatically. As I can;t test this I may have to enable debug messages in that module and perhaps you can see what it reports.

Coeus

Postby Coeus » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:55 pm

tricky wrote:Oops, teletext colours are wrong, maybe NuLA isn't implemented correctly! - not that Centipede uses it!
Testing with the attached centipede build.

I've found the bug. Fixed in https://github.com/stardot/b-em/commit/ ... 61bbdf83a4

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:56 pm

Coeus wrote:
pau1ie wrote:when I run it. It seems to be looking for b-em.cfg, but it doesn't look in the current directory (I am running it out of the directory where I compiled it). If I copy the file into ~/.config/b-em it fires up OK. I assume if I did an install it would find stuff OK, but I didn't check.

Yes, if you installed it as a package the default b-em.cfg file would be installed as /usr/share/b-em/b-em.cfg and B-Em knows to look there is it can't find ~/.config/b-em/b-em.cfg. That would provide the initial set of models and would then save back to ~/.config/b-em/b-em.cfg

I did a ‘make install’ after ‘make’ and everything was put in the right place. I did it without thinking but I guess that needs to go in the updated doc.

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:58 am

I opened a bug for the disc drive noise. I can't reproduce the flickering line at present.I will try again this evening, and if I still can't reproduce it I will put it down to solar radiation or something!
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:22 am

pau1ie wrote:I opened a bug for the disc drive noise. I can't reproduce the flickering line at present.I will try again this evening, and if I still can't reproduce it I will put it down to solar radiation or something!

If people try it today there is low risk of solar flares

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:04 pm

Built a B-em allegro5 image for linux x86 now, was much harder getting it to work than the old version (on a base minimal ubuntu install). Building it was easy getting it to run was a pain but there now. Currently building the linux arm version. Could take a while.

Picture below is the Parallax Demo running in a Docker container on a RPi, using B-em (Allergo5 version) compiled from source displayed on a Mac.
Attachments
192_168_1_30_5920__f3a90ac3fb3c_20__-_VNC_Viewer.jpg

tricky

Postby tricky » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:58 pm

That scrolling demo seems to be missing NuLA.

For joysticks, I did add support to beebem and b-em in my launcher app and the emulators that it runs.

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:16 pm

tricky wrote:That scrolling demo seems to be missing NuLA.

Hmmm. I hadnt noticed. Had a quick look and it is switched on by default. I wonder if that is spectic to that build or in general. Will look later.

tricky wrote:For joysticks, I did add support to beebem and b-em in my launcher app and the emulators that it runs.

Not seen that, will have a look at that.

Coeus

Postby Coeus » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:33 pm

Is it the NuLA version? I first saw this as a NuLA demo but I have since discovered there is a version on the B-Em demo disc that came with version 2.2 and is still in the discs directory which does not attempt to make use of NuLA. Interestingly the NuLA version doesn't seem to have the bottom scrolled area. Here's what I get:

2018-04-18-sotb.png

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:29 pm

Coeus wrote:

Is it the NuLA version? I first saw this as a NuLA demo but I have since discovered there is a version on the B-Em demo disc that came with version 2.2 and is still in the discs directory which does not attempt to make use of NuLA. Interestingly the NuLA version doesn't seem to have the bottom scrolled area. Here's what I get:

2018-04-18-sotb.png

Was the version that comes B-Em demo disc, I wasnt expecting it to be Nula. So that clears that up then. I will have to find the Nula version then, although possibly run even slower then on the Pi.

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Found the Nula version and rebuild the image so it get pushed into the discs directory.

So in all its glory running at full speed on a raspberry pi via VNC (which isnt very fast but it works)

Edit: 4 flavours of B-Em here in Docker Hub now for anyone that wants ot play with it. Allegro 4 & 5 in both Linux x86 and RPI ARM. Still Work in Progress.
Attachments
192_168_1_30_5920__e5f9023355b6_20__-_VNC_Viewer_and_VNC_Viewer_and_1__pi_cnat____bem_build-DEV__ssh_.jpg

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:32 pm

I did get the flickering again. It seems to be the first two runs after rebooting (weird), so it might be library or hardware related. I raised a bug anyway and linked to a rather rubbish video taken with my mobile. You can always close it if you don't think it is b-em.
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk