Dolphin Columns

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
BeebMaster

Dolphin Columns

Postby BeebMaster » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:59 pm

I use Ubuntu, with xfce4 desktop as standard, and Dolphin as my file manager of choice, although it isn't part of xfce4 and has to be installed separately. I've never got along with Nautilus, and Thunar is just too simple for my needs, only remembering the last choice of view settings so I can't have some directories in date order and some in alphabetical order, for example. Dolphin lets me do that, remembering the choice for every directory ever opened, and it counts and lists the number of entries in a sub-directory as the "size" which is very handy, instead of listing the amount of disc space the directory takes up, which Thunar does.

However there are two things I want Dolphin to do which I can't make it do. One of them it used to do, but stopped doing a version or 12 ago, and the other doesn't work.

The first is show Access date and Modified date of files. It used to do this in two separate columns. Now all you get is "Date" (which I think is accessed date but I'm not clear.) Can anybody tell me how to add an extra column so I am back to two columns of access and mod. date? Also a column for creation date would be good, apparently (and stat or something or other proves it) ext4 can now record the creation date for local files, although getting a remote file system to return its creation date is still a problem.

The second thing is making use of the extra columns that Dolphin allows, like Image dimensions, for picture files, and Duration for sound files, but none of these columns ever show any data. I've read up in the past about needing to do things with Baloo or Nepomuk but I've never got it off the ground. Any ideas?

flaxcottage

Re: Dolphin Columns

Postby flaxcottage » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:46 pm

I looked up and saw this flying over my head. :lol:
- John

I'll be at ...

Well, actually 2018 and the 21st. They haven't changed the banner yet!! [-X :lol:

BeebMaster

Postby BeebMaster » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:50 pm

Well, anyway, I found some code work on github or somewhere the other day which had added support for modification time and even creation time to Dolphin, which still seems to be a thing pretty alien to Linux. I couldn't find out how to install these update patches or compile them or whatever I needed to do with them, so I thought I would spend Christmas upgrading to Ubuntu 17.04 in the event that it came with a new Dolphin with these new features. It didn't. What it did do was break 8 or 9 other things, but I have now been able to restore things to how I used to like them.

But the original question still stands, and if anyone knows how to add a modification time column into Dolphin I'd be very pleased to know.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:40 am

Baloo looks like the KDE4/5 indexer and meta-data extractor that will get the meta-data (e.g. image size) from files - so looks like you have to set that up to index all files. Looks like Dolphin is part of a bigger KDE "eco-system" that expects baloo to be running.

Looks like the very recently released 17.12 version has modification date/time, but not as a column:

https://www.kde.org/announcements/annou ... 7.12.0.php

More file information is now at your hands, as the modification date and origin URL of downloaded files are now displayed in the information panel.

From what I can see on the internet, you'll have to get your hands dirty - download the source and modify the cpp files. But that's just from Googling.

BeebMaster

Postby BeebMaster » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:47 pm

I think I'd sort of worked out that some downloading of patched code and re-compiling or whatever would be necessary, but I haven't a clue how to go about that. My install of Ubuntu 17.04 has Dolphin 16.12 and I can't for the life of me work out how I can install a later version without breaking everything. I did do some sort of Dolphin upgrade to my other machine which runs Ubuntu 16.04 but it uninstalled about 200 packages and broke everything. Doing sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get install dolphin always tells me the latest version is installed. I don't know whether I need to add some sort of suppository where a later Dolphin lives.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:54 pm

You do have the latest version - for Ubuntu, in the repository.

To run the latest version available, I think you'll have to download the source code and build it manually, but given that it is a part of KDE 5 and Plasma, etc. there will be a load of dependencies you'll have to satisfy (hence the 200 packages that came down with it when you try the package), so think it would be a major task. It wouldn't just be a question of downloading the Dolphin code & re-compiling - it (possibly) depends on other components, so you'd have to build all those.

I think it's really designed to be part of a KDE 5 desktop environment and you are running it outside of that environment.

Might be time to look for another file manager, or see if someone's patched Thunar, or (given that you are in xfce4 environment) try and change/build Thunar. Don't think that would be a small job, either!

BeebMaster

Postby BeebMaster » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:19 pm

Sounds like it will be beyond me, and rightly so. The sad thing is that Dolphin had accessed and modified date columns and then they disappeared a few Ubunti back to be replaced with the meaningless "date" column - I still don't know whether that's accessed, modified, created, stamped, read, written or what.

Thunar has always had both columns and I do use that for this information now, and one or two other things that Dolphin doesn't like doing. But Thunar can only cope with one sort order per computer, not per directory, so it isn't much use to me. It also suffered a long time ago from that revisionist counting system invented by dunderheads which equates one kilobyte to 1000 individual bytes. I got fed up of Thunar telling me that an ADFS disc image is 655.3K long, and a DFS disc image is 204.8K long, because they aren't and never have been. Thankfully they introduced a "binary counting" option recently, so I now have correct file sizes back at least.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:41 pm

From Googling, it seems that Dolphin shows the modification date.