Wanted: New Advanced User Guide for BBC ...

wanted ads for hardware, software + literature (NOT for tape/disc image requests)
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
richardtoohey

Wanted: New Advanced User Guide for BBC ...

Postby richardtoohey » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:04 am

I'm after a real copy of New Advanced User Guide for BBC Master, Compact, B, B+ and Electron - I've seen the scans, but - for me - I really prefer the paper.

Amazon says if I order one I might get one ... but not holding out hope!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Guide- ... 0947929053

Additional complication - I need it shipped to NZ.

Anyone got a (spare) copy that I can buy off them?

Thanks.

retroclinic

Re: Wanted: New Advanced User Guide for BBC ...

Postby retroclinic » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:15 pm

:-k

Maybe....somewhere....I've located a copy of the Advanced Ref manual, the one by Watford Electronics, but I'm sure I've got a copy or two of this one left, just need to come across it.

Mark.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Fingers crossed, then - please do let me know! [-o<

I've got the Watford one (from you) - the "Advanced Reference Manual for the BBC Master" - are we talking about the same thing?

Thanks.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:33 pm

Got one from Mark H of RetroClinic - thank you!

Lots of interesting reading ahead ... :D

sweh

Postby sweh » Wed May 01, 2013 12:11 am

It's funny; I've been reading the PDF of this recently, and I've found it not as useful as the Advanced User Guide, because of how it's organised. And then it struck me...

We have The 'Advanced User' Guide
and The New Advanced 'User Guide'

The original AUG was much more of a reference manual for advanced users, whereas the NAUG seems to be more of a user guide on advanced topics.

I'm glad I didn't buy NUAG BITD.
Rgds
Stephen

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Wed May 01, 2013 12:25 am

And there's also the Acorn Electron Advanced User Guide written by the same authors as the New Advanced User Guide - Mark Holmes and Adrian Dickens (Mr Bray must have gone elsewhere by then ...)

The NAUG definitely tries to cover a lot more ground - BBC B *and* Electrons, B+, Master, Master Compact - so it's not as in-depth as the original AUG, no. But then I've got all three books so I can pick & dip as I choose.

I find the AUG series (especially the original) sometimes a bit dry - facts and figures - some of the other authors had more room to spell it out and give more code examples - answer the question of "how do I actually USE this thing?" - Mike James, Stephenson, etc.

YMMV and all that, but I'm pleased to have a copy now.

Dave Footitt

Postby Dave Footitt » Thu May 18, 2017 10:09 pm

I'm also after a copy of this un if anyone has one, ta

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Fri May 19, 2017 8:03 am

richardtoohey wrote:And there's also the Acorn Electron Advanced User Guide written by the same authors as the New Advanced User Guide - Mark Holmes and Adrian Dickens (Mr Bray must have gone elsewhere by then ...)
This is undergoing some serious revisions, currently. If you want to wait I could do you, and others, if required(?), a printed one - now I have my Xerox 8400 up and running (thanks mark :D ).

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Fri May 19, 2017 9:00 am

daveejhitchins wrote:
richardtoohey wrote:And there's also the Acorn Electron Advanced User Guide written by the same authors as the New Advanced User Guide - Mark Holmes and Adrian Dickens (Mr Bray must have gone elsewhere by then ...)
This is undergoing some serious revisions, currently. If you want to wait I could do you, and others, if required(?), a printed one - now I have my Xerox 8400 up and running (thanks mark :D ).

What would you guestimate the cost will be for that?

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Fri May 19, 2017 3:12 pm

Elminster wrote:What would you guestimate the cost will be for that?
Sorry, couldn't tell you, at the moment, as I've not had any experience with the ink usage. I'll get back to this thread once I have the information.

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Fri May 19, 2017 5:34 pm

Y'all know that this thread started in April 2013?

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Fri May 19, 2017 7:50 pm

1024MAK wrote:Y'all know that this thread started in April 2013?

Mark

Does that make it Retro ?

Return to “wanted”