Anybody have the EMR MIDI box?

wanted ads for hardware, software + literature (NOT for tape/disc image requests)
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
Commie_User

Anybody have the EMR MIDI box?

Postby Commie_User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:05 pm

Here it is: http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/ ... ce%20Unit/

Anything wanted for swaps?

(Though if it goes in the user port, can it be hot swapped after an SSD is loaded?)

RobC

Re: Anybody have the EMR MIDI box?

Postby RobC » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:22 pm

I don't have one but the schematic is here: http://mdfs.net/Info/Comp/BBC/MIDI/emr.gif

It looks like the user port is used for the 5V connection and clock output.

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Thank you. Though I feel like Catweazle looking at that, so I wonder where I can get one built.

Does anybody have a suggestion?

RobC

Postby RobC » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:08 pm

Do you specifically want the EMR design or will any MIDI interface do?

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:32 pm

I assume it has to specifically be this one because COMPOSE was made for it. There may be compatibles.

Manual pages 27-28.jpg

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:14 pm

Any MIDI interface that responds at &FC00/1 will work. COMPOSE and the other EMR software reads and writes &FC00 and &FC01, many MIDI interfaces either don't decode the addresses at all (such as EMR and EPE) or can be configured to change the addresses the respond to (eg JGH).

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:44 pm

Thank you. So in other words, which are the compatibles - if anyone knows?

Or would it be more beneficial to write the the Beeb Em people and ask if MIDI can be included, as we have with WinVice, Steem Engine or WInUAE?

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:54 am

Commie_User wrote:Thank you. So in other words, which are the compatibles - if anyone knows?

Any MIDI interface that responds at &FC00/1, such as MIDI interfaces don't decode the addresses at all (such as EMR and EPE) or can be configured to change the addresses they respond to (eg JGH).

$ bbcbasic
>_

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:08 am

Well I was thinking more about makes and models which behave right by default because I'm totally unaccustomed to BBC interfaces.

Is there anybody here prepared to make one for me? That would be very nice. Looks complicated though.

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:42 pm

Commie_User wrote:Well I was thinking more about makes and models which behave right by default because I'm totally unaccustomed to BBC interfaces.

Any MIDI interface that responds at &FC00/1, such as MIDI interfaces don't decode the addresses at all (such as EMR and EPE).

$ bbcbasic
>_

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:32 pm

EMR and EPE are what I shall look for to run with COMPOSE then. Thank you.

Over on the Commodore, we have mainly MIDI software which is typically Passport/Sequential compatible or Datel compatible. Others are multi compatible or have been made for specific interfaces like the Moog.

Return to “wanted”