Wanted: BBC Micro SD card interface

wanted ads for hardware, software + literature (NOT for tape/disc image requests)
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
Heydave88

Wanted: BBC Micro SD card interface

Postby Heydave88 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:14 am

I'm looking for an SD card interface to load ROMs onto the micro, but ideally would be looking for something plug and play (as although I'm learning my knowledge is very limited).

Thanks for any help!
Last edited by Heydave88 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

danielj

Re: Wanted: BBC Micro SD card interface

Postby danielj » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:16 am

Hullo Dave :D

How're your soldering skills?

d.

Heydave88

Postby Heydave88 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:35 am

danielj wrote:How're your soldering skills?

What's the level before "beginner"?

I've been eyeing up a cheap beginners kit at Maplin that I was considering butchering a Pi board with. :)

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:20 am

Your options are:
  • TurboMMC, £30, ctowry on ebay, mostly just works, can be used with updated MMFS/SmartSPI ROM for better performance
  • See if SirMorris on here has any plans to make more of his £10 adaptors (again which use MMFS/SmartSPI)
  • Solder a ribbon cable with user port plug on to a 99p SD card reader from Hong Kong and plop a £4 ROM into your beeb containing MMFS/SmartSPI
  • Get a datacentre from Retroclinic (see ebay) - £100ish depending on whether you go internal or external. Excellent support with this and well tested design/software
  • Get a GoSDC from John Kortink (http://www.zeridajh.org/hardware/gosdc/buy.htm) - I have no real experience with these, so a bit of a peruse of the manual would probably help you work out if it's the sort of thing you want. €60+shipping

d.

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:26 am

In addition, you can also consider this offer.
Paul

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:45 am

DutchAcorn wrote:In addition, you can also consider this offer.

He sold them all :(

d.

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:57 am

danielj wrote:
DutchAcorn wrote:In addition, you can also consider this offer.

He sold them all :(

d.

Ah, so he has, missed that update, sorry... :oops:
Paul

sydney

Postby sydney » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:20 am

I might be able to do one for you. I'll pm you later.

tricky

Postby tricky » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:30 am

I have a few of these left from my last batch, they are not as robust as SirMorris' but work well.
Yours for £10+p&p, that is a SmartSPI EPROM, 128MB micro SD and made up board.

sydney

Postby sydney » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:35 pm

tricky wrote:I have a few of these left from my last batch, they are not as robust as SirMorris' but work well.
Yours for £10+p&p, that is a SmartSPI EPROM, 128MB micro SD and made up board.

I'd go for this. I had the parts to make one at Cambridge this year but bought one of Tricky's instead and it works beatifully.

Heydave88

Postby Heydave88 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies! I've dropped sirmorris a message and will message Tricky and Sydney too.

Thanks for the comprehensive list of options, danielj! I wasn't able to find a turbommc option currently on eBay (that wasn't included with a micro) but I did find this you mentioned from retroclinic:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263063142241

It's very pricey as you said but it does say it's easier to use than MMC options - why is that? The description seems pretty technical to me!

The GoSDC option also looks interesting! But it looked like it needed to be installed internally, and I'm terrified I'd break something haha.

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:24 pm

The datacentre is very, very flexible - it lets you play with disk images nicely on a USB memory stick, and import/export them to real floppies. For example

Code: Select all

*IMPORT ELITE.SSD
to import an elite disk image from memory stick ready to use. The MMC solutions require you to build a big file containing all your disk images on a PC in advance, then copy this to the SD card.

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:51 pm

Heydave88 wrote:...
Thanks for the comprehensive list of options, danielj! I wasn't able to find a turbommc option currently on eBay (that wasn't included with a micro) ...

The turbo mmc is offered on ebay here: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/322575729076

It seems it is no longer advertised as "Turbo".

Caption: "Easiest to use Beeb storage system available." :D
Paul

sirmorris

Postby sirmorris » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:53 pm

If I was to make another run of MMBeebs then are there any mods the community would like to see? I don't want to go mad but if there's a free win then why not. Wired for 'turbo' perhaps? Microsd slot instead of full size? Nice picture of an owl? Whatever happens it will be a month before they're available.

@heydave: I haven't received any PM as yet. My email is in the MMBeeb for sale thread if you'd rather.

C

sirmorris

Postby sirmorris » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:34 pm

mmbeeb.png

Sthg like this. It's smaller. Trust me.

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:44 pm

Just a thought; is it possible to fit a female header that plugs directly in the user port and rotate the SD card slot 90 degrees so that it can be inserted / ejected with the interface plugged into the user port?

With an appropriate cable it would still also be usable for the Master...
Paul

Heydave88

Postby Heydave88 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:54 pm

danielj wrote:The datacentre is very, very flexible - it lets you play with disk images nicely on a USB memory stick...

...since how smart I feel when attempting to use the micro currently is somewhere between "infant" and "monkey with a hat on" I won't hide the fact that this is very, very attractive to me... But I'll hold off because of the price for now.

Is compiling the file for an MMC difficult? Are there any handy dandy idiots guides anywhere?

DutchAcorn wrote:It seems it is no longer advertised as "Turbo".

Caption: "Easiest to use Beeb storage system available." :D

Thanks for this!! From reading, this seems like it's just the same solution as the MMC Tricky and sirmorris offer really, is that right?

Sirmorris - dropped you a message now :)

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:01 pm

No, not too difficult and people on here will see you right! :)

d.

sirmorris

Postby sirmorris » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:05 pm

They are effectively the same. A few minor differences but at the end of the day they all do the same job just as well as one another.

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:10 pm

One says Turbo.

d.

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:06 pm

Heydave88 wrote:... From reading, this seems like it's just the same solution as the MMC Tricky and sirmorris offer really, is that right? ...

The main functional difference imo is in the filing system ROM that is supplied. If you have the right equipment you could burn your own eproms but if you don't you'll have to work with the one supplied with the card reader.

One drawback of the TurboMMC filing system ROM is that it only works with Multi Media cards. These have the same dimensions as SD cards but are much harder to find and more expensive.
Paul

sirmorris

Postby sirmorris » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:37 pm

danielj wrote:One says Turbo.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “wanted”