BBC micro stuff

wanted ads for hardware, software + literature (NOT for tape/disc image requests)
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
Wouter Scholten

BBC micro stuff

Postby Wouter Scholten » Tue May 23, 2017 9:23 pm

I am looking for a few things, such as
- BBC micro with type 2 keyboard (see http://wouter.bbcmicro.net/pictures/com ... index.html )
- BBC micro with old rough type casing (and more ventilation space).

A few more things that I'd like to find I've listed here on my BBC micro site:

http://wouter.bbcmicro.net/wanted.html

If you have something, send me a message or email via my site.

joachim

Re: BBC micro stuff

Postby joachim » Tue May 23, 2017 11:07 pm

I remember the funny book about computers that you mention on your Wanted page! It's "Micromania: the whole truth about home computers" by Charles Platt.

tricky

Postby tricky » Wed May 24, 2017 6:29 am

Off topic, but is wanted to thankyouk in your own thread, for the BBC lives!, which was the site that in the late 90s prompted me to get my beeb back out. Thanks.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Wed May 24, 2017 8:01 am

tricky wrote:Off topic, but is wanted to thankyouk in your own thread, for the BBC lives!, which was the site that in the late 90s prompted me to get my beeb back out. Thanks.
And +1 from me on that. :D

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed May 24, 2017 9:14 am

And me :) :D

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Wed May 24, 2017 11:51 am

joachim wrote:I remember the funny book about computers that you mention on your Wanted page! It's "Micromania: the whole truth about home computers" by Charles Platt.

I had a look and it seems that was the title of a UK adaptation, so I will check a bit more, it's hard to find any information other than the cover of the UK version! I will ask around with sellers, it would be great to find this book again! If that's it then already a big thanks from me!

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Wed May 24, 2017 12:02 pm

tricky wrote:Off topic, but is wanted to thankyouk in your own thread, for the BBC lives!, which was the site that in the late 90s prompted me to get my beeb back out. Thanks.

Actually, Robert Schmidt and I cooperated but that was his site. My site was as indicated here:

http://wouter.bbcmicro.net/bbc/index.html

I published the software that I had and that people around the time sent me, which Robert then accumulated also on his site, along with other stuff other people sent him, as on his site as he had much more space. At the time (1995) my site was the first one of the kind you see today, with docs, software, roms etc., but at the time nobody else made any software available such as Elite (which was first game I put on my site), utilities to read BBC disks after getting them on the PC using anadisk, ROM images etc. [ Acorn were annoying about it which is why there was a workaround for a while ]. We then discussed separating software for which my view was a separate file + associated file with permissions, LOAD/EXEC address etc. so disk images could easily be created by users, to make their own disks with favourite games/utils etc. This was the way to go... Well, and so the story went on :)

tricky

Postby tricky » Wed May 24, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks, and thank you Robert,I remember Robert's name, but had merged both sites and people in my memory (lossy compression).

joachim

Postby joachim » Wed May 24, 2017 3:16 pm

Wouter Scholten wrote:I had a look and it seems that was the title of a UK adaptation, so I will check a bit more, it's hard to find any information other than the cover of the UK version! I will ask around with sellers, it would be great to find this book again! If that's it then already a big thanks from me!

Ah, yes, the American title seems to be "The Whole-Truth Home Computer Handbook" by Charles Platt. (The UK adaptation, which I had, is actually by Platt and Langford — I remember the funny "translator's note" by Langford at the front.)

Oh, and totally ridiculous confirmatory datum: this article http://www.nytimes.com/1990/03/23/arts/ ... ality.html asserts that "The Whole-Truth Home Computer Handbook" has a green cover.

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:14 pm

joachim wrote:
Oh, and totally ridiculous confirmatory datum: this article http://www.nytimes.com/1990/03/23/arts/ ... ality.html asserts that "The Whole-Truth Home Computer Handbook" has a green cover.

Today got the book from a US seller and a while ago the UK version from Germany. The US book is as I remembered, green with black grid pattern and I like it more than the UK version for various reasons, the pictures were changed for example, so not the ones I remember and there are various changes in language that give it a different feel (such as 'cheapo computer' (original) -> 'cheap computer' (UK version)).

The humour is cool, funny without being 'too much' which is usually unfunny or even annoying.
Attachments
20170725_175422.jpg
uk adaptation
20170725_175356.jpg
us original
20170725_174647.jpg

Return to “wanted”