Brand new original BBC micro. Museum quality for sale

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
Xexxa

Brand new original BBC micro. Museum quality for sale

Postby Xexxa » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:06 pm

Just seeing what people think before I put on eBay. I have a BBC micro for sale which is in mint condition. And when I say mint I mean it still has the protective strip of plastic across the top of the plastic above the keyboard. The power lead is even still wrapped and bagged up from new. I cannot find anything similar on the market. I wondered if anyone wanted to make me an offer on this before I put it on eBay. All the muesums were interested but have loads of micros already. So I'm just offering here as final interest!

danielj

Re: Brand new original BBC micro. Museum quality for sale

Postby danielj » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:13 pm

Sorry, just posted without reading the post properly.

If you're offering something like this for sale on here, it would be worth posting something of an introduction in the relevant forum, as people aren't too likely to purchase from someone that has no history. Pictures would also be helpful!

d.

jonb

Postby jonb » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:47 am

I would have thought you should list on eBay as an auction with a 99p start price. When the auction ends, you will know what it's worth. Keep your description factual and include lots of good quality pictures. Don't use words like WOW ULTRA RARE etc, because it isn't (rare). Probably avoid MINT too, as people can see its condition from the pictures. Same with "museum quality", it is subjective nonsense.

Be realistic.

M Sadler

Postby M Sadler » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:32 pm

Interested.
£50

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:16 pm

Is it boxed? Is the box in good condition?
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, matchbox co-proc, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc, Acorn 6502 coproc

trixster

Postby trixster » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:51 pm

M Sadler wrote:Interested.
£50

£50 and a packet of crisps, your choice of flavour.
A3020 | A3000 | BBC B + 128K RAM/ROM + 20K Shadow + Pi0 + VideoNuLA
BBC Master Turbo + DC | Atom | A1200 060 | A500 | Jaguar | A420/1
A4000/040 060 | Atari Falcon 060 | Saturn | PS1 | SNES | CPC6128 | C64 | 3DO | MD

jonb

Postby jonb » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:04 pm

I think you scared him off!

Shall we see a "museum quality" Beeb in the LOPRICE thread, I wonder...?

error

Postby error » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:07 pm

I think the museum already took it in - sadly they poked out the ZIF cover so now it's less than museum quality :cry:
Attachments
5.980x551[1].jpg

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:15 pm

trixster wrote:
M Sadler wrote:Interested.
£50

£50 and a packet of crisps, your choice of flavour.

I will up that offer by a pack of cookies!

But seriously, it must be worth 200+

If it has a type 2 keyboard, I'd be interested.

jonb

Postby jonb » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:18 pm

£200?

:lol:

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:23 pm

jonb wrote:I would have thought you should list on eBay as an auction with a 99p start price. When the auction ends, you will know what it's worth. Keep your description factual and include lots of good quality pictures. Don't use words like WOW ULTRA RARE etc, because it isn't (rare). Probably avoid MINT too, as people can see its condition from the pictures. Same with "museum quality", it is subjective nonsense.

Be realistic.

If it's really unused then there's nothing subjective about 'mint', but as to museum quality, that in fact means almost nothing, because museums usually don't have stuff that's 'mint', but stuff that is interesting, and these are often old, battered etc.

A really unused BBC is definitely rare...

Advantage of selling on ebay with low starting price is that you don't need to think up a price which can be hard for rare stuff. Disdvantage is those who want it and willing to pay the right price might not even visit ebay during that time.

Also possible is just here wait for offers as he did, though he can't send PMs as newly registered right? So that's a problem.

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:24 pm

jonb wrote:£200?

You can laugh all you want, try to get a decent BBC micro for 50 quid. Now try to get one that's unused. You need to get out more! :)
[ edit: I suppose it's clear but I mean not just an unused BBC micro but one in box with all stuff as new, as described by the poster, box needs to be in good condition too. A loose BBC micro is not worth 200 quid even in mint condition. ]

Related to this: I remember Robert Sprowson put on his site long ago as one of the reasons to use BBC micros is that "they only cost 25 quid, if it's broken just chuck it in the bin and get a new one" (from memory, so not exact) I noticed a while ago that he changed that...

jonb

Postby jonb » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:04 am

The last Beeb I bought was an issue 7 (supposedly "sought after") for £30 and it had twin disk drives and a WE RAM/ROM fitted. Came with a hundred or so disks and some ROMs (notably, Interword), with all manuals.

Although to be fair, that would have been a short while ago. I just had a quick peek on the bay and I can see your point - although these seem to
be highly optimistic buy it now prices rather than anything realistic.

On the other hand...
  • http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222576658295 - sold for £50
  • http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142442398798 - sold for £55
  • http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282582523278 - sold for £56

So I guess I'm still laughing.

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:07 pm

jonb wrote:The last Beeb I bought was an issue 7 (supposedly "sought after") for £30 and it had twin disk drives and a WE RAM/ROM fitted. Came with a hundred or so disks and some ROMs (notably, Interword), with all manuals.

Although to be fair, that would have been a short while ago. I just had a quick peek on the bay and I can see your point - although these seem to
be highly optimistic buy it now prices rather than anything realistic.

On the other hand...
  • http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222576658295 - sold for £50
  • http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142442398798 - sold for £55
  • http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282582523278 - sold for £56

So I guess I'm still laughing.

Actually, you proved my point. Exceptions are not representative so that you go got one cheap means nothing. The prices you showed in the listings confirm my 50 gbp for a loose BBC with a little stuff (when sold together various additions are of almost no additional value), and any reference to highly optimistic buy-it-now prices (I've seen those too) is pointless because they are not sold so thus only indicate a price the seller would like, not a price that buyers want to pay. [ Strangely for such asking prices they are almost invariably not even of BBC micros in box and definitely not in new or as-new condition (incl. box/manuals/welcome pack, if it comes complete with them). ]

I'm right about the prices, so if you laugh, it will show just one thing...

PS. With "try to get a decent BBC micro for 50 gbp" I didn't mean it was impossible, but that that is about the price you need to spend. In the past I got some BBC micro's for free, others I paid a lot for, depends on what people want to do with them, and on what you want to spend. You usually can't find a decent condition BBC micro cheaper than 50gbp. So then to get a as new BBC micro you will need to spend a lot more, obviously.

M Sadler

Postby M Sadler » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:28 pm

I'll up the offer £60 and a packet of chocolate hobnobs. [-o<

jonb

Postby jonb » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:39 am

Wouter Scholten wrote:I'm right about the prices, so if you laugh, it will show just one thing...

Yes - that I have a good sense of humour. :roll:

Wouter Scholten wrote:[ edit: I suppose it's clear but I mean not just an unused BBC micro but one in box with all stuff as new, as described by the poster, box needs to be in good condition too. A loose BBC micro is not worth 200 quid even in mint condition. ]

That was what I meant, but I'm still sceptical of a £200 "unused" Beeb. The one I bought before the £30 Issue 7 was boxed with all accessories and in very good condition. It cost £65. I knew it had never even been opened up the moment the magic smoke was released! :lol:

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:23 am

jonb wrote:
Wouter Scholten wrote:I'm right about the prices, so if you laugh, it will show just one thing...

Yes - that I have a good sense of humour. :roll:

No, there was nothing funny meant, nor was it unintentionally funny in whatever way you interpret it, so your 'laughing' is laughing at which only tells me something very different about you. But I already knew that from another of your postings.

Wouter Scholten wrote:[ edit: I suppose it's clear but I mean not just an unused BBC micro but one in box with all stuff as new, as described by the poster, box needs to be in good condition too. A loose BBC micro is not worth 200 quid even in mint condition. ]

That was what I meant, but I'm still sceptical of a £200 "unused" Beeb. The one I bought before the £30 Issue 7 was boxed with all accessories and in very good condition. It cost £65. I knew it had never even been opened up the moment the magic smoke was released! :lol:

All irrelevant: I have in the past acquired some BBC micro's for free, inferring from that that the values of BBC micros is 0, is just as silly. By just looking over sales prices on ebay you can see the real sales value there (which is often higher than direct sales for various reasons) based on what's included, box, condition, etc.

danielj

Postby danielj » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:25 am

With reference to what I posted not 2 hours ago in another thread, civility please - if you don't like what someone's said, walk away. There's no need to be personal.

d.

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:32 am

danielj wrote:With reference to what I posted not 2 hours ago in another thread, civility please - if you don't like what someone's said, walk away. There's no need to be personal.

d.

Heh, if someone 'laughs at', then I have every right to point that out. If someone generalises for the 2nd time from a low price, which is however not a average/normal price, as being a guide for a general price, then again I will point that out. I don't know what happened with Zarchos, but I am not going to not say such things.

danielj

Postby danielj » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:34 am

:) - challenge the idea, not the person. As soon as the word "you" comes into a response it starts getting personal :D

d.

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:41 am

danielj wrote::) - challenge the idea, not the person. As soon as the word "you" comes into a response it starts getting personal :D

d.

Well, it's not really possible to reply differently when someone writes "I" than writing "you", other than by writing it in a contrived way which then to the reader is a clear response to the one person, so it would really be no different. So unless you mean something different, then I don't think that does anything. I could 'not reply' to those parts that I want to point out, but then I need to restate the original reasoning/arguments, which means going in a loop...

danielj

Postby danielj » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:48 am

OK :)

Line here: Let's move on :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

martinw

Postby martinw » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:50 am

jonb wrote:Yes - that I have a good sense of humour. :roll:

Me too, life's too short :lol:

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:36 am

One of the things in life that is true for everyone, is that everyone has an opinion. Especially on the price of goods/items for sale.

There is no general price for any sale of any used product where it has been discontinued for many years. As in each case, the condition of each one will vary, and the people interested in buying are likely not to be the same as in a previous sale or auction. Prices on eBay vary from week to week.

Some are patient and like to keep looking until they "get a bargain". Some like to have everything included as the item was originally sold (including the cardboard box). Some just want to buy it now.

Often, if someone thinks they got a good deal, they like to tell others.

I have a number of BBC B Micros and a number of BBC Master, plus many other 8 bit and 16/32 bit micros. How much each cost me varied a lot. Especially as some came with other machines.

So let's not make pointless arguments, where nothing good will come from it, as it is clear that agreement is not very likely.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:29 pm

/\ opinions are like noses, everybody has one :D

I have brand new machines too.... straight out the dishwasher 33yrs later :lol:
ImageImageImage

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:01 am

:-$
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:09 am

This one looks quite nice with all the stuff

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-BBC-Micr ... Ciid%253A1
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, matchbox co-proc, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc, Acorn 6502 coproc

Return to “for sale / freebies”