BBC computers -queations about possible sale

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
evert67

BBC computers -queations about possible sale

Postby evert67 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:56 pm

I have two BBC B computers, both in fully working condifion, and a monitor from the BBC-era ('80s or early '90's). Both BBC computers have been upgraded with GoSDC, which among others supplies a star-command with which you can load any BBC program without a tape drive or hard disk. I have installed all programs that used to be on The BBC lives (i.e. nearly all software currently available for the BBC B.)

I am thinking about selling these BBC's and monitor, since I hardly use them anymore. I would like to be paid for them, however, sice I paid to get them and also paid for the upgrades.

However, there are a few practical problems.
- The most ideal thing would be if someone came to pick it up. The BBCs and monitors are rather large.
- However, I live in the Netherlands (Amersfoort)
- I could send the packages overseas, but wouldn't this be a risk? How sturdy are the BBC micros and monitor? And again, they are rather large.

And what do you think is a reasonable price for a BBC with the upgrade?

All ideas appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark

roland

Re: BBC computers -queations about possible sale

Postby roland » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:31 pm

I have send several computers, mostly Atoms but also an Electron, BBC Master and some strange kind of beeb overseas and if they are boxed with lots of shock absorbing materials it goes quite well. I always send them with PostNL.

I don't know about monitors but I think it's also doable if they are well packed and you mark the box with a fragile warning.
256K + 6502 Inside
MAN WOMAN :shock:

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:55 pm

Key points:
  • Use very strong cardboard boxes, better still, put one box inside another stronger box.
  • For heavy items, add a number of cardboard layers at the bottom of the box to form a strong floor. Mark the outside of the box with a "this way up" arrow and wording on each side of the box.
  • Allow at least 5cm (better if a bit more) between the item and the side of cardboard box for protective packing and in case the cardboard box is penetrated by other items banging up against it.
  • Put each item in a clear plastic bag to protect against moisture and dust.
  • Then wrap in multiple layers of bubble wrap.
  • Use plenty of suitable packing material (foam, polystyrene chippings, shredded paper) both between the item and the box and if more than one item in a box, between the items.
  • Include return address details just in case of problems.
  • If you know the total weight of the box and contents, mark it on the side of the box.
Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:32 am

ligt eraan wat je er voor wilt hebben :)
er zijn genoeg gekke in nederland die hem voor een goede prijs
komen ophalen :)

amersfoort heeft een station :lol:

i think this item is in wrong part of the board , sales ?
in holland we have martplaats and people can pick it up at the door.

evert67

Postby evert67 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks guys. What would be a reasonable price for a BBC B with GoSDC with a whole lot of software (everything that used to be on The BBC lives, i.e. nearly all software currently available for the BBC B)?

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:40 pm

Have a look on eBay, search for Acorn BBC Micro and tick the completed listings button. That will give you an idea of the general price range.

Mark

evert67

Postby evert67 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks... although there is only 1 BBC Micro there... they are getting rare.

myelin

Postby myelin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:41 pm

evert67 wrote:Thanks... although there is only 1 BBC Micro there... they are getting rare.

Have you checked the "worldwide" option? Most BBC Micros only show up in the UK, so when I search with the eBay defaults (I'm in San Francisco) I don't get many (if any) results.
SW/EE from New Zealand, now in San Francisco, making BBC/Electron hardware projects for fun.
So far: fast serial port, 32k flash cart, USB cart interface, 3-cart expansion, Elk PiTubeDirect.

evert67

Postby evert67 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:56 pm

myelin wrote:
evert67 wrote:Thanks... although there is only 1 BBC Micro there... they are getting rare.

Have you checked the "worldwide" option? Most BBC Micros only show up in the UK, so when I search with the eBay defaults (I'm in San Francisco) I don't get many (if any) results.

Still only one :-)

myelin

Postby myelin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:05 pm

I see a few over the last couple of weeks. All but the last are from retroclinic, who charges a lot but does a serious refurb job on each computer before selling:

Jul 13 http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACORN-BBC-MICRO ... SwlRpZZ5CZ

Jul 14 http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACORN-BBC-MICRO ... SwqztZX71w

Jul 26 http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACORN-BBC-MICRO ... Swuq9ZZ3Gi

Jul 30 http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACORN-BBC-MICRO ... SwpINZaQ0K

Jul 31 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acorn-BBC-Micro ... SwSzRZT4sF
SW/EE from New Zealand, now in San Francisco, making BBC/Electron hardware projects for fun.
So far: fast serial port, 32k flash cart, USB cart interface, 3-cart expansion, Elk PiTubeDirect.

evert67

Postby evert67 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:15 am

Thanks. Most BBC Micro's have been upgraded and cost about EUR 250 - EUR 400. The non-upgraded ones costs EUR 75 - EUR 100.

I was thinking of EUR 150 with the GoSDC. Does this sound reasonable? I can reduce the price a bit if it is picked up at my home.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:04 am

In my earlier post, I should have said to use http://www.ebay.co.uk as most Beebs are sold in the U.K.
Try also clicking the "SOLD" check box instead of the "Completed" one.

Another way of seeing some eBay completed prices, is to use a search engine like Google. Include "SITE:www.ebay.co.uk " or "SITE:www.ebay.com " in your search line. The results are a bit random, as you sometimes get results from a couple of years ago through to current listings.

In terms of prices in GBP, I would guess that around £40 to £70 is the likely range for a BBC B without upgrades like the GoSDC, depending on the condition of the machine. If the machine came with other items, then the price may be higher.

Mark

jonb

Postby jonb » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:18 pm

However.. they definitely are not worth this much: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292180370617

Don't draw any conclusions from optimistic buy it now prices like this one. This seller is notorious for offering "rare" retro computers for outrageous sums of money, by the way. They rarely sell as you would imagine, but they have the unwanted effect of distorting the marketplace by conferring unrealistic expectations on the prices sellers can get away with charging.

I think Mark's price estimations are about right. When I look for a price, I only look at sold listings. It's pointless looking at unsold listings.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:54 pm

Thread moved to the trading section.

Mark

Return to “for sale / freebies”