For free: RISC OS 3.50 ROMs

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
dhg2

For free: RISC OS 3.50 ROMs

Postby dhg2 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Edit: The 486DX4 PC card has been taken, but the ROMs are still available to anyone who might want them.

Hi,

My brother's moving, and he's been cleaning out his house. He gave me a box of computer stuff that he was going to throw away. Amongst the stuff that was in it, I found a 486DX4 PC card. At some point one of the components on the board (C19) apparently got knocked off or something, it was held in place with a piece of tape, which I removed.

I don't know if it can be fixed, or if there's other more serious damage to it that I'm not aware of. Even if it weren't damaged, I don't personally have a RISC PC, so I wouldn't be able to use it.

So if anyone here wants it and would be able to fix it, I'd be happy to give it to you.

Also in the box were two ROM chips, RISC OS 3.50 ROM 1 and ROM 2. Unfortunately some of the legs are quite badly bent. I also don't know if this is the complete set.
From what I know about RISC OS and RISC PCs, version 3.50 is probably too outdated to be of interest. But still, if anyone wants these ROMs, let me know.

pccard.jpg
Last edited by dhg2 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
- Patrick

Prime

Re: For free: slightly damaged 486DX4 PC card, RISC OS 3.50 ROMs

Postby Prime » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:10 pm

I'll have the 486 card if no one else wants it, I think that's the 100MHz version which is faster than the one I have.

Cheers.

Phill.

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:06 am

Prime wrote:I'll have the 486 card if no one else wants it, I think that's the 100MHz version which is faster than the one I have.
Phill, if you do get hold of it, please let us know how the repairs proceed . . . I was going to ask, but then realised I'd way too many projects on the go already :?

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

dhg2

Postby dhg2 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi,

Prime wrote:I'll have the 486 card if no one else wants it, I think that's the 100MHz version which is faster than the one I have.

Cheers.

Phill.

Cool, send me your address in a private message, and I'll have it posted by monday.

Thanks,
- Patrick
Regards,
- Patrick

Prime

Postby Prime » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:23 am

daveejhitchins wrote:
Phill, if you do get hold of it, please let us know how the repairs proceed . . . I was going to ask, but then realised I'd way too many projects on the go already :?

Quite well actually :)

Before connecting it to my RiscPC, I removed the IBM 486 CPU and tested it in a 486 SBC I have. The CPU worked in the SBC and was correctly identified as a Cx486. The IBM DX4-100s are re-badged Cyrix chips, so the ID was correct.

So I popped the 486 back in the card and dug out my RiscPC, which as I previously said has one of the 40MHz SXL boards in it + the RiscOS !PC app. I first checked that it was all working with my current card and that was OK, it booted up into DOS absolutely fine. So power down and swap cards, then to my supprise !PC fired up correctly identified the CPU as a 486 DX4 100 and booted dos without problems. I even managed to iknstall the shareware version of Wolfenstein 3D** and play a couple of levels.

** It just happened to be the first disk I found, I got it with my first sound card back ina about 1993/4 :)

Cheers.

Phill.

Return to “for sale / freebies”