Acorn Archimedes PS/2 Mouse Adapter

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
VintageMicro

Acorn Archimedes PS/2 Mouse Adapter

Postby VintageMicro » Wed May 24, 2017 9:03 pm

Currently have available Archimedes Mouse adapters allows any PC PS/2 Mouse to work
with the 9 pin Acorn machines, scroll wheel button acts as middle mouse button, so all three buttons
work in RiscOS.

Will soon have a combined Mouse and Keybord adapter for A305,A310,A320, A4000, A5000 machines also
along with a Joystick interface.

Feel free to message any questions or if need to know further details
Last edited by VintageMicro on Wed May 24, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zarchos

Re: Acorn Archimedes PS/2 Mouse Adapter

Postby Zarchos » Wed May 24, 2017 9:05 pm

Welcome !
:mrgreen:

VintageMicro

Postby VintageMicro » Wed May 24, 2017 9:08 pm

Hi thanks, I have been an Spectrum/Amiga guy for a long time but now getting into Acorn.

I also make adaptors and interfaces for old computers.

Found the whole Acorn story of Chris Curry and Herman fascinating :)

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed May 24, 2017 9:09 pm

Hello - you're a new user with no reputation here, so before you offer items for sale it may be an idea to post an introduction thread to say who you are and what your interest in the scene is!

Additionally, I point to the above forum rules:
"This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces."

Thanks.

VintageMicro

Postby VintageMicro » Wed May 24, 2017 9:13 pm

I have remove the mention of the auction site, I just though people would be interest in what I make
as the original mice for Archimedes are becoming hard to find now.

If anyone is interest then they can just message me, didn't mean to break any rules.

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed May 24, 2017 9:36 pm

Indeed, they are becoming uncommon and it's good to see an addition to the options available. I should say though that this part of the forum is really a community for-sale noticeboard, so ideally you need to be offering items for sale direct through here if that's what you want to do.

In the past we have had issues with people popping up and offering items for sale and then vanishing, as such we require people to have made a number of posts and be involved in the board before they're allowed to send private messages.

Thanks for your understanding.

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Wed May 24, 2017 9:45 pm

Yes !

Tell us more about you, and about your next project, which looks great.
Will it need soldering or not ?
On the A3000 there are these 2 'empty' spaces for external mouse and external keyboard, and sthing tells me sbdy will have a project to wire some bits there ...
Last edited by Zarchos on Wed May 24, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VintageMicro

Postby VintageMicro » Wed May 24, 2017 9:46 pm

Yes totally understand being a new user and spammers, get loads of link spammers myself on my own website, nightmare

If you or another moderator or admin would like a free sample to show my product is real and to test
it's functionality please do let me know.

Would be happy to send one out free of charge, all my items also have a 30 day
money back guarantee if returned within 30 days, then full refund will be issued, no questions.

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Wed May 24, 2017 9:49 pm

VintageMicro wrote:Yes totally understand being a new user and spammers, get loads of link spammers myself on my own website, nightmare

If you or another moderator or admin would like a free sample to show my product is real and to test

money back guarantee if returned within 30 days, then full refund will be issued, no questions.

Don't worry : we all watch EBay ... it's more your history with computers and electronics we'd like first to read about ...

IanS

Postby IanS » Wed May 24, 2017 10:18 pm

VintageMicro wrote:Yes totally understand being a new user and spammers, get loads of link spammers myself on my own website, nightmare

A few pictures of the adapter would be nice.

VintageMicro

Postby VintageMicro » Wed May 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Did not know if it was ok to post an image.

Unit has a single PC PS/2 connector and a trailing lead that plugs into the Archimedes 9 pin socket

This is the short cable version for the big box Archimedes, I can also supply same the adapter with
a longer cable so that it easily fits underneath the A3000, A3010, A3020 type single unit machines.

Last edited by VintageMicro on Wed May 24, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Wed May 24, 2017 10:30 pm

You won't tell us your little secret but the only way I found to get the Archie mouse connector was to butcher bus mouses ...

VintageMicro

Postby VintageMicro » Wed May 24, 2017 10:32 pm

Yes the connectors are a real pain and expensive, I had to bulk order them from china figuring I would get my investment back eventually :)

From RS they are over £6! each

Zarchos If you are struggling for a connector to bare wires, if you can pay shipping cost and I will send you a couple, no problem.

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Thu May 25, 2017 6:32 am

Very kind of you, but I've got over a 100 of these connectors, after I bought several lots of bus mouses from EBay.
Unfortunately there's a wire missing, it means I can only use the connector, and not connector + lead.

Thanks for your offer anyway, that's kind and helpful, and I appreciate that.

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Thu May 25, 2017 6:47 am

VintageMicro wrote:Did not know if it was ok to post an image.
Oh yes! We like images, especially of the insides with lots of dirty talk Oppps! - Technical talk, if you'd care to? Oh! Don't be worried about people copying - We don't do that when someone has taken the time and trouble to solve a problem for us. But we just love to hear about all the pain you went through to get there :D

I'll certainly be needing a few, as and when I get round to refurbing my Archimedes pile. And I'm sure you'll have a steady stream of takers.

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Thu May 25, 2017 9:25 am

Hi VintageMicro

Welcome to StarDot :D

The usual way that trading happens on StarDot forums is a member, who develops an item that he or she wishes to sell, or who has relevant "second hand" items that he or she wishes to sell posts up details of said items. Including the wanted price, cost of postage and packaging and preferred methods of payment. This should include photos/ pictures if relevant.

This does not preclude you offering the items for sale elsewhere. But if you are selling the same items elsewhere, you should make it clear in your post.

Relevant items means items that members of the StarDot forum may be interested in. So yes to Acorn and related gear. Maybe items related to other 1980s home computers that members may be interested in. But most definitely not commercial trading.

It's up to the member to set the price, but as this is a hobby for us, other members appreciate sensible pricing. It's not unusual for a member to offer PCBs or built up modules to members first. Then later, selling the remainder on eBay at a higher price which takes eBays charges into account.

So if you are happy to show us photos and pictures and give a nice detailed description of what you have developed. And are happy with what I have said above, then the moderator team will be happy.

As a new member here, you can receive PMs, but you will be unable to reply or send PMs. This is until either you have posted sufficient useful posts, or an administrator enables the facility for you.

I talked about photos and pictures. For reasonable size (as in file size) photos and pictures, you can add them to your post as an in -line attachment. If you wish to post very high resolution pictures, then linking to them is normally better rather than uploading to the forum.

Oh and yes, I'm interested in your mouse adapter :-)

If you have any questions, please ask away. We are happy to help and don't bite (well apart from Mr D :lol: ).

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

VintageMicro

Postby VintageMicro » Thu May 25, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks for the info, of course the adaptors will be made available on there own
without a mouse for a discount to forum members if preferred, this makes posting them cheaper too.

I initially made these because I could not find an Archimedes mouse in good condition anywhere for a
reasonable cost, also I did not really want an old type ball mouse, after using optical mice on a PC for
years the optical sensors are so much better to use.

I am not able to show the PCB as I had a problem with a previous design I made being copied and
within weeks being listed and sold for less than mine!, my boards are also epoxy encapsulated
to make them hard wearing, and fully heatshrinked this helps to make the mouse cable attachment
quite strong and stops any chance of static damaging the ic chip.

If any users have any electronics related question then I will try my best to help, I am currently
rescuing an A310 dual floppy I got with a blown PSU, I found the best way to repair this is to
use a compact FLEX ATX PC power supply, but you need to get a power supply that has a
White (Minus -5 Volts) line for the Archimedes, the other connections are standard +5 and +12,
the only other wire needed is the PS_ON wire needs to be connected to ground to turn on the power supply.

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Tue May 30, 2017 8:00 am

VintageMicro wrote:I am currently rescuing an A310 dual floppy I got with a blown PSU, I found the best way to repair this is to use a compact FLEX ATX PC power supply, but you need to get a power supply that has a White (Minus -5 Volts) line for the Archimedes, the other connections are standard +5 and +12, the only other wire needed is the PS_ON wire needs to be connected to ground to turn on the power supply.
Might be a good exercise to start a new thread for the repair of the original PSU . . . Keep some people here happy with all sorts of useful things for you to try :D

Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

VintageMicro

Postby VintageMicro » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:50 am

With the old power supplies a common failure is due to ageing capacitors or failed power transistors or other components.

Even though it's nice to have the original hardware, repairing the old PSU's is not really viable from a cost/time view
a full set of low ESR good replacement quality capacitors eg Panasonic Electroylitics will cost more than a entire
brand new Manufactured power supply from an IT recycling company or even new old, stock due to mass production
the flex one I used cost £10 inc postage.

One acorn parts dealer has a single replacement 100nf mains filter capacitor on sale for £8!

Not to mention modern power supplies are very quiet, more efficient and produce less heat.

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:46 am

@VintageMicro
All that is true, of course. Some like to keep original, some don't mind replacing bits with modern equivalents - Even the former can't avoid the 'new' bits, now and then e.g. New capacitors in old power supplies - just degrees, at the end of the day - However, I beg folk who do replace things like complete power supplies Not to dispose of the old units! Not that I'm saying you would! There would still be lots of useful parts for fixing-up other units and for people who like to keep original, the chance to rebuild, despite the cost :D

aotta

Postby aotta » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:01 am

Welcome VintageMicro! only two little tips... for the 9 pin mouse connector, i use the mini din cable for Genesis 2 console.. two connector for a couple of dollars ;)
And for replacing PSU that need -5,+5,-12 and 12 v... i use Pico PSU, with 10 £ you got it and it's so "pico" that you can put it on every retrocomputer... in a MSX2 i replaced the original PSU with a pico PSU and a AC-DC 12v converter, all into the case! :)

Return to “for sale / freebies”