Wanted - high quality game-poster scans

want to request software or documentation that you can't find online? post in here!
nudelooney

Wanted - high quality game-poster scans

Postby nudelooney » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:59 am

Well, the builders are finally gone, and my integral garage is now a proper Man Cave - complete with desk, computers, tools, 'scope, stack o' beebs, arcade cabinet, beer-and-chocolate fridge ... Now, I only really need to venture out to the rest of the house when I need the loo.

Anyone remember the adverts in the back of (I think) TMU, where a company showed lists of game solutions and game posters you could purchase by mail order?

I have some wall space which isn't covered by tools, shelves or racking. I'd quite like to get hold of some game posters, and get them framed. Mostly Beeb stuff, but perhaps with the occasional Archimedes-game poster. I'm thinking Repton 3, Palace of Magic, Spycat, Zarch, and so on. Perhaps some Infocom or Magnetic Scrolls posters, even. Currently I've just got a model-B schematic on the wall, which is useful but not particularly colourful. :)

Does anyone have any really good quality scans that could be turned into (say) A2 posters? I don't mind doing a lot of "cleanup" work if any images need it, but obviously the better quality the initial scan, the less work to do!

Sadly I gave all my magazine collection before we moved house, so I'm not in a position to scan Superior ads at super-high quality. :(

davidb

Re: Wanted - high quality game-poster scans

Postby davidb » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:28 pm

Ah, yes, Impact Posters. We had a few of those around, and they should all be somewhere in the collection of stuff accumulated over the last couple of decades. I haven't seen the Elite poster for a while, though, but it's hopefully somewhere in the "collection". :)

Though they're not from the same stable, I recently scanned some A4-sized adverts from old magazines and uploaded small versions of the images to the community projects forum. If there's anything you want to see in a higher resolution, just let me know. I don't know how well they'll scale up to A2.

Update: The scans of the Micro Power posters are roughly 5000 x 7000 pixels so they're large images on screen but not great resolution on large format paper. For A4, you would get the 600 dots per inch of the original scan, but only half that for A2. Still, for posters, it might be OK.

mez

Postby mez » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:05 pm

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but does anyone have a modern scan of the Elite marketing poster? That's the actual advert one with the blurb at the bottom, not the Ship ID one from the box. I seem to remember sending off for it somewhere, at the time.

Decent quality is more important than resolution - it would complete my Man Cave. :D

mez

Postby mez » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:59 pm

If anyone's interested, this is the best quality image I have found so far.
Attachments
acorn_elite_poster.jpg
Elite poster

topcat96

Postby topcat96 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:20 pm

mez wrote:If anyone's interested, this is the best quality image I have found so far.

Elite poster in a whopping 1920 x 2722 resolution ..!
Attachments
poster-original_1p9m.jpg

topcat96

Postby topcat96 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:29 pm

And I came across this B&W scan on my travels ...
Attachments
Poster.jpg

topcat96

Postby topcat96 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:08 pm

And finally ...
Attachments
SupAd.jpg

sweh

Postby sweh » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:33 pm

topcat96 wrote:
mez wrote:If anyone's interested, this is the best quality image I have found so far.

Hmm, for 18x24 (ish) that's just over 100dpi. A little low but it may work! Hmm... maybe this'll be a present to myself :-)
Rgds
Stephen

mez

Postby mez » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:26 pm

topcat96 wrote:Elite poster in a whopping 1920 x 2722 resolution ..!

Thanks very much for that topcat. The detail on your higher resolution is much better for large prints, although I reduced the blue channel brightness by 2% after downloading it, to get black as black.

Does anyone know who the artist was, and is that a signature under the Cobra (appears clearer on mine) ?

topcat96

Postby topcat96 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:21 pm

mez wrote:Does anyone know who the artist was, and is that a signature under the Cobra (appears clearer on mine) ?

Artist of the original cover artwork is Philip Castle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Castle

sweh

Postby sweh » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:36 pm

sweh wrote:
topcat96 wrote:

Hmm, for 18x24 (ish) that's just over 100dpi. A little low but it may work! Hmm... maybe this'll be a present to myself :-)

So I printed this as a 12x18 photo (via amazon printing; $10) and it looks really good. Now to find a good frame for it!
Rgds
Stephen

sbadger

Postby sbadger » Mon May 08, 2017 10:30 am

I managed to squeeze a bit more out of topcats scan, yes it's interpolated, but not much artifact introduction and not too shabby imo.

comparison here

compare.jpg
Attachments
eliteposter-175%bigger.jpg
A3020| A3000x3| BBCBx3 | Electrn | Masterx3 |RiscPC| RPix3
A600 | C64 bbin x2|C64C | Toastrack |QL | XB360&1X |GB |GBC |GBA |GBASP | DS | 3DS XL x2| MD | MS
Atari 7600 | PS1-2-3-4| PSP |Vita |SNES |GC |N64 |Wii & U |Switch |JammaCab |Sony PVMx2

Return to “archive requests”