Wanted: Alien Destroyer by Gareth Bult from 1983

want to request software or documentation that you can't find online? post in here!
Michael Brown

Wanted: Alien Destroyer by Gareth Bult from 1983

Postby Michael Brown » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:15 pm

Does anyone have the full BBC B version of Alien-Destroyer written by Gareth Bult in 1983.
There is a demo only version by Beebug from 1983 on their Beebug2-7 tape image in the STH archieve, but I cannot find a fully released version anywhere.
I assume one was released as the game looks very near to release quality.

Any Help?

Mick.

Michael Brown

Re: Wanted: Alien Destroyer by Gareth Bult from 1983

Postby Michael Brown » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:15 pm

Here is my disk copy of the demo game from Beebug 2-7.

BBC B Alien Destroyers Demo.zip
(6.23 KiB) Downloaded 141 times

Just wondering if Beebug ever released a completed version as one of their stand alone releases as I find it hard to imagine that a author would create a game so complete as this and not finish it (although that has happened with games like ATOL).

any ideas?

Mick.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:13 pm

GOOD NEWS: Just taken another look at the demo game and one thing that I found odd was that there was a fully working high score table included.

This prompted me into thinking that the whole game may have been written and then the routine to play the game then being removed.
I loaded in Exmon II and went looking for a possible routine for the Z, X and Return keys and found it at &222F.
I then added line 141 to call &222F but found the ship moved OK but the missiles fired fast. I then did some tests and removed line 131 and all now seems fine.

Will do some final tests in the morning, and if all goes well then I will post the restored version here later tomorrow.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:50 pm

Here is my WIP disk image for the game.

BBC Beebug Alien Destroyer-WIP.zip
(6.27 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

I have now tested this game and so far... all seems well.

I have removed the "Beebug 1983" as this looks tacked on for the demo and I have also removed the "Demonstration" message from the game and replaced it with "Alien Destroyer" instead as this seemed to fit although there may be nothing or something else there on a possible complete version and I would still like to see a image of any proper game (if one actually exists somewhere), otherwise this may be the only version left.

Hope you all enjoy it, it is quiet a nice little game.

Mick.

mga1103

Postby mga1103 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Good job on "de-demo"-ing it!

It's possible a name change was required before release, as Program Power/Micro Power seem to have issued Alien Destroyers ~'82 (and Alien Destroyers 2 ~'84) so if it was released, it may well have had a different name... :?

Dunno, just a possibility...
Attachments
AlienDestroyers.zip
(15.72 KiB) Downloaded 125 times

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:51 am

This is another possibility, however, if so, then I would have then expected Beebug to issue it under a different name and so far I have not come across any other version of this game from them or anything by this author.

I will have to wait until next year when I should get to all my old floppies and tapes that are at the very back of my garage (once the mountain of junk at the front has been got rid of) and then hopefully I may come across the released title (if the disks still work) as the whole thing seems familiar.

I have now played a few games and everything seems to work fine including loosing lives, getting extra lives and entering your name in the high score table.

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:32 am

I can confirm that Alien Destroyer /was/ professionally released by Beebug (actually as "Alien Destroyer") as the original is [somewhere amongst] my collection of original tapes and discs.

It was packaged in one of those medium-large, clamshell style cases.
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug NORTH (Manchester) (19-21 January 2018)
ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:51 am

any chance of a copy of the uef tape image coming this way at some point. It would be interesting to see what the differences actually were between the demo and the released game.

Gareth Bult

Postby Gareth Bult » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:04 pm

Hi Guys,

I've just managed to run up your demo copy on http://bbc.godbolt.org/, it seems to be Javascript friendly .. that's the first time I've seen it run in over 30 years. If it helps (from memory) there's no real difference between the released version and the 'demo' version you have there. At the time they were trying to pressure me into adding thunderbolt / zig-zag alien missiles in addition to the straight bombs, but there just wasn't any more memory to play with.

hth

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:15 am

Hi Gareth,
Nice to hear from you,
and nice to know the amended demo version is correct.
However, I still would love to get my hands on the released version by Beebug just to compare it.

regards,
Mick.

PS Did you write any other BBC Games?
I cannot find anything else with your name on the web, but that doesn't mean you didn't write anything else.

leenew

Postby leenew » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:55 am

Mick was it released on a stand-alone tape?

Lee

Gareth Bult

Postby Gareth Bult » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:38 am

Mm, unfortunately although I have media from the time .. I'm pretty sure it'll be unreadable now .. not to mention that I no longer have a cassette drive and the old Model B I have packed up many (many) years ago.

I'm afraid that although the game good at destroying Aliens, it wasn't exactly beneficial to my O-Level results, so after the game was finished I didn't really get too much time to work on games .. and the ideas I had were way beyond the scope of a Model B's performance ... :(

Regards,
Gareth.

Michael Brown wrote:Hi Gareth,
Nice to hear from you,
and nice to know the amended demo version is correct.
However, I still would love to get my hands on the released version by Beebug just to compare it.

regards,
Mick.

PS Did you write any other BBC Games?
I cannot find anything else with your name on the web, but that doesn't mean you didn't write anything else.

Gareth Bult

Postby Gareth Bult » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:42 am

Hi,

Yes it was, I think in a clam-shell type case, although I don't think I ever saw a production copy ... I've seen a picture somewhere, can't remember if it was in the Beebug Newsletter or I think there was a review in PC World at one point ..

Gareth.

leenew wrote:Mick was it released on a stand-alone tape?

Lee

Gareth Bult

Postby Gareth Bult » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:49 am

Just as a point of reference, this is the demo copy running in a web browser ... :)

It's quite smooth in the Emulator, I'm almost tempted to go look at the source to see what they're doing re; screen emulation .. I remember spending a lot of time on the original working on double-buffering techniques and syncing screen updates to the [H|V]SYNC signal from the TV .. 2.5k code at 2MHz .. sounds crazy looking back ...

leenew

Postby leenew » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:41 pm

Hi Gareth,
If you have a tape or disc, there are people round here who will probably be able to read it (maybe!) If you send it to them :D

Lee.

Gareth Bult

Postby Gareth Bult » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:22 pm

Heh, I have a bunch of 30+ year old 5.25" floppies with no labels and goodness knows what [else] on them .. so I'm afraid I might have to pass on that one .. maybe one day when I have some more time .. :)

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:31 pm

Yes, definitely released - it came in a fairly large clamshell case, same type as the "Fruit Machine & "Honest Joe" and "Snorter" releases, also by Beebug.

I had it in my collection until late last year - Dave Edwards should have it now.

I thought I'd UEF'd it but can't find it anywhere ... :-/
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug NORTH (Manchester) (19-21 January 2018)
ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

Dave_E

Postby Dave_E » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:37 pm

I'll have a look for it tomorrow and see if it's in one of the boxes I have.

Return to “archive requests”