The Ghosts of Grunley Grammar

want to request software or documentation that you can't find online? post in here!
lurkio

Postby lurkio » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:48 pm

Hi. Has anyone ever played the "fantasy quiz game" The Ghosts of Grunley Grammar (1983) on the Beeb or the Electron?

Anyone got a copy of the game?

Acorn_User_Number_015_1983-10_Addison-Wesley_GB.jpg
Advert for The Ghosts Of Grunley Grammar from the October 1983 issue of Acorn User magazine

It was published by "Magic" of Bury St Edmunds, which I think was basically a one-man operation, the man in question being Graham Nelson (now best known for creating Inform, the programming language for interactive fiction).

I've never seen the game. Didn't even know it existed till Lee told me an ad for it had turned up in one of his trawls of Archive.org! Looks interesting...

Here's a review from Electron User magazine:

In Electron User (Vol. 1, No. 3, December 1983), Trevor Roberts wrote:Have you ever wondered what became of the grammar schools when the comprehensive came along? Well, I know what happened to one of them, Grunley Grammar. It was shut up, forgotten and left to decay; the only inhabitants the ghosts of its own teachers. These ghosts are doomed to spend all eternity teaching spectral classes the subjects refused to learn in their lifetimes. They would far prefer to teach, test and taunt a living child. And with Magic Software's cassette, GHOSTS OF GRUNLEY GRAMMAR, they get the chance.

You take the part of a child who has foolishly entered the ghastly grammar school and fallen into the hands of the ghosts. You go from room to room and in each room, the master asks you three questions on his subject.

Should you fail any of them, he gloatingly tells you the answer and back to the beginning you go. But only after the ghosts have taunted you about your stupidity!

It's amusing and becomes compulsive. All the usual school subjects are covered and there's a fair selection of questions. It's the kind of game that kids love - not just playing it themselves but also watching others make mistakes and get insulted. And they're learning all the time.

The program is fun and original. No doubt educationalists will say that it just teaches facts, not understanding, but that's just a quibble. The program is amusing and addictive. In fact it's magic.

Here's the text of the above advert:

Magic
PRESENTS

A brand new fantasy Quiz game written for the BBC micro. Your task is to make your way through the different classrooms of an old school, now haunted by its old masters. These question-happy ghostly masters can be beaten by a combination of luck, skill and a good memory. And you're against the clock all the way. "Ghosts of Grunley Grammar" is magic to play (and it improves your general knowledge as well).

For BBC model B, or model A with 32K. Works on all operating modes 0.1 to 1.2.
Electron version now available too!

Tapes: £6.45 (£5.95 plus 50p. p. & p.)
Discs (40 track): £7.95 (£7.45 plus 50p. p & p.)
(all prices include V.A.T.)

Send cheque or postal order with your order to

MAGIC SOFTWARE LTD.,
Dept A1,
ASHFIELD ROAD,
ELMSWELL,
BURY ST. EDMUNDS,
SUFFOLK.

State clearly for which micro when ordering
Trade and Educational Enquiries welcome

:?:

davidb

Re: The Ghosts of Grunley Grammar

Postby davidb » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:38 pm

I haven't heard of this game. Perhaps you could ask the author of this article about Galaxy's Edge, or even the Graham himself. Meanwhile, you inspired me to look for this tribute page to an early Graham Nelson arcade adventure. :D

leenew

Postby leenew » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:53 am

Hi,
Yes, I would love to see this game! I had never heard of it either.

It is amazing how many games I spotted that we don't have in the archive, just by looking at the adverts in the first 30 issues of Acorn user.
I will be updating the MIA thread later with the extra games that are apparently missing :roll:

As for Grunley Grammar - could our educational collectors look through their piles too please as this is semi-educational...

Thanks!

Lee.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:07 pm

davidb wrote:I haven't heard of this game. Perhaps you could ask the author of this article about Galaxy's Edge

I happen to know the author of that article, and I have to say I think he's one of the finest human beings that ever lived. :wink:

Unfortunately, I don't he doesn't know anything about Grunley Grammar.

davidb wrote:or even the Graham himself.

The Graham (as I shall refer to him from now on because it's a title that befits his stature) shies away from communication with his adoring public, and, unsurprisingly, hasn't shown much interest in digging up his own early games -- with one exception:

davidb wrote:this tribute page to an early Graham Nelson arcade adventure

Yes, a nice tribute. I'm glad that Archive.org saved it. The game itself is somewhat insanely fast, as I recall.

:shock:

davidb

Postby davidb » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:58 pm

It looks like Every Game Going has this title.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:27 pm

davidb wrote:It looks like Every Game Going has this title.

No, this game is definitely still missing in action.

Apparently, if a game is listed on the Every Game Going website, then that doesn't necessarily mean that Dave Edwards, who runs the site, actually has a copy.

I already checked with him to see if he's got either the Elk or the Beeb version of Grunley Grammar. He said no.

But thanks for searching! Maybe one day someone'll turn it up...

[-o<

arcraith

Postby arcraith » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:04 am

I seem to remember playing a game in primary school (elementary) that seems to fit the description of Grunley Grammar. I remember it being a little bit spooky and having to do stuff like correcting spelling...? I'd really like to get my hands on this game too just to see if it's actually the one I remember.

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:28 am

Not one I recognise from the educational side. But I'll keep my eye open.
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

Dave_E

Postby Dave_E » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:47 pm

Ha, that made me laugh:

Apparently, if a game is listed on the Every Game Going website, then that doesn't necessarily mean that Dave Edwards, who runs the site, actually has a copy.

Although it often feels that way, I don't actually have over 80,000 games. ;-) ;-)

Return to “archive requests”