Wanted BBC B Aeronautical Dogfight 1

want to request software or documentation that you can't find online? post in here!
Michael Brown

Wanted BBC B Aeronautical Dogfight 1

Postby Michael Brown » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Hi All,
Does anyone have a BBC B version of Aeronautical Dogfight #1 ?

I know there is a Master 128 version, but I was just wondering if there was ever a BBC version.
There is a BBC B version of Aeronautical Dogfight #2 so hopefully a BBC B version was written.

PS tried converting the Master version but the capital letters in the text went funny - I think this was something to do with *FX20 and VDU statements at &C00

Mick.

Michael Brown

Re: Wanted BBC B Aeronautical Dogfight 1

Postby Michael Brown » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:54 am

Looking further at this, in the G.AD1 5 file there is a *FX163,128,1 command which IIRC is an Electron prompt.
So was this game an Electron only version of the game or was there a BBC Version?
Or is Aeronautcal Dogfight an Electron version and Aeronautical Dogfight 2 the BBC version?

I would really like to include these games on my discs, but obviously, I would like to do the first game first unless it simply isn't BBC compatible in which case I will use the AD2 game.

Any help would be great.

thanks
Mick.

PS the version of AD1 I am referring to here is on the BBC PD #3 Games Disc.

topcat96

Postby topcat96 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:32 pm

According to 8bs.com, Aeronautical Dogfight 2 is suitable for the BBC B, Electron, B+ and Master machines ... Unable to verify as I only have a BBC B machine here.

http://8bs.com/elecgame/aeronauticaldogfight2.htm

Can't help any with Aeronautical Dogfight 1 I'm afriad. I couldn't find any reference in any Electron games database I searched :(

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:07 am

It looks like Aero DF 1 was a Master 128 copy as it has *ADFS statements in its listing.
It is however, possible to get the game to work on a BBC B.
Firstly removing the Electron *FX from line 10 of AD1 5
Then changing the mode from 5 to 1
Then downloading the game to &E00 due to space.
Then adding a *DISC, *DRIVE 0 etc in order to Chain AD1 3 after completion.

Also removing the VDU23 setups and *FX20 from AD1 2
lastly,
Adding some key layout info to AD1 2

Here is what I have come up with so far as I have not been able to find a proper BBC B version of this game (other than Aeronautical Dogfight 2).

NOTE: Datacentre users will need DTRAP setting due to the new *DISC command in AD1 5.

Mick.

AD1.zip
(11.42 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

Perhaps someone can play test this.
I have found that once you have pressed both COPY and CAPS LOCK to take off, you can destroy one of the planes by firing rounds at it from behind and then it is destroyed when damage gets to 50%.
The game then reloads the instructions and you can select the same or different options and play again.
That is under both BeebEm 4.14 and Bem.
Not able to test on a real BBC with Datacentre fitted.

PS You can press ESCAPE during the loader to skip the aircraft being displayed