Paranoid Pete by Ubik is broken

having trouble with an archived file or want to correct something? report it here!
Dave_E

Paranoid Pete by Ubik is broken

Postby Dave_E » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:28 pm

The game Paranoid Pete is broken. The disk image craps out when you manage to allow the plant to grow. Just checked M. Browne's version on disk 15 and this one has exactly the same error. No UEF version is available. Aarrgh.

I have the game on tape if anyone would like to borrow it and attempt to create a UEF version. I could also try making a WAV of the code of course.

Dave_E

Re: Paranoid Pete by Ubik is broken

Postby Dave_E » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:15 pm

Whahey! I got the tape version converted to UEF. First time I've managed to successfully do one in about 20 years. :-)
Attachments
Paranoid_Pete.zip
PARANOID PETE Working Version
(8.47 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:47 pm

Having problems loading this game? The second file "PETE1" pauses for
approximately one minute before loading continues. This will result in
the start of the next sequential file "PETE2" being skipped. When this
happens, simply select "Rewind Tape" and reload from the beginning of "PETE2".

did you make a .WAV file of it? going by other thread you just done the simple:

Code: Select all

makeuefam -o file

if you had made a .WAV file, then a .CSW file, this should of loaded, and if not a .UEFhq file would also keep the gaps (1min in this case between PETE1 and PETE2) and then no need to to do a rewind 8)

Here is the files on SSD for someone to fix properly......
PETE2 file was Locked.
paraPete.png
Attachments
Paranoid Pete-Ubik.zip
Tape>Disc .SSD
(7.59 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
ImageImageImage

Dave_E

Postby Dave_E » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:01 pm

Unfortunately I know very little about MakeUEF. Is there a 'easy-to-follow' guide to it anywhere on the Net? It's probably a lot better than it was when I last used it - which was in 2003 I think. :-)

Anyways, my version is better than the one that crashes... :-)

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:32 pm

Dave_E wrote:my version is better than the one that crashes...

=D>
here is a bible I wrote about making good images here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5987&hilit=makeuef#p56019
ImageImageImage

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:19 am

i am working on the smart rom , but for the easy stuff i will look at the files :)

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:06 pm

oke this is a 1 file thing possible ?? all files can be loaded in memory the intro pete has some vdu drivers allso pete1 is basic stuff . the the rest is loaded at 1100 till 3000 ,pete3 at 3000.. 3400 , and stuff at e00 till 1100 . and file at 400 +3ff.
so all can be loaded at 1300 ( for the !boot user ;) download and reload stuff and play it :) , not a real challence :(

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:13 pm

duikkie wrote:oke this is a 1 file thing possible ?? all files can be loaded in memory the intro pete has some vdu drivers allso pete1 is basic stuff . the the rest is loaded at 1100 till 3000 ,pete3 at 3000.. 3400 , and stuff at e00 till 1100 . and file at 400 +3ff.
so all can be loaded at 1300 ( for the !boot user ;) download and reload stuff and play it :) , not a real challence :(

I realise you like to make games run from a single file, but personally (and probably others) I'd prefer if you kept as much intact as possible to include all loading screens.
Think of the challenge as 'how would the original publisher have released this on disc?'.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:48 pm

he/she will put it in 1 file :) and call it 1pete :)
all the strange upload and codes are still there. i have put press any key in intro screen else it flash because disk access is faster then tape
all the org files are there at 1300 till 3e00 at 4000 there is the basic program
the only thing pete1 was converting RS434 in CASSETTE and back ?? no use with disc.

because i am not a player i can't play the game

Pernod wrote:
duikkie wrote:oke this is a 1 file thing possible ?? all files can be loaded in memory the intro pete has some vdu drivers allso pete1 is basic stuff . the the rest is loaded at 1100 till 3000 ,pete3 at 3000.. 3400 , and stuff at e00 till 1100 . and file at 400 +3ff.

I realise you like to make games run from a single file, but personally (and probably others) I'd prefer if you kept as much intact as possible to include all loading screens.
Think of the challenge as 'how would the original publisher have released this on disc?'.
Attachments
1PETE.zip
(6.61 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:26 pm

Just realised I already have this, found on my Arcade Games Vol.3.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:06 pm

Hi All!

Here is a copy of the files from uef on disc.
I have removed the *T. command from PETE.
I have added a inkey(500) delay to PETE1
I have added a download routine to the last file to download it to &E00.
Lastly, I have added the ?&11=&E8 to enable the sound.

Press SHIFT/BREAK to load.
The files are as per tape, except the last one which is extended to include the download routine.

I have been able to get to the second screen OK with this.

I have also been able to create a condensed version for my Disc 015 (due to the lack of file name space) which also works.

regards,
Mick.

PS How about the inlay info for this game?

Paranoid Pete.zip
(7.34 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

Is it just me or does anyone else find it strange that all copies I have found of this game on disc DO NOT have the full loading screen with them, yet it wasn't hard to get working on disc.

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:33 pm

Michael Brown wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else find it strange that all copies I have found of this game on disc DO NOT have the full loading screen with them, yet it wasn't hard to get working on disc.

Yep, obscure game, probably not too many disc conversions floating around! If the OP had mentioned Weetabix game then I'd have know exactly which game this was ;)
- Nigel

Return to “archive issues”