The Lost Crystal Part 4 problem

having trouble with an archived file or want to correct something? report it here!
EmilyS

The Lost Crystal Part 4 problem

Postby EmilyS » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:22 pm

I have had The Lost Crystal for some time now, and it works fine until I get to the end of Part 3. Then, after pressing space to load the next part the screen goes blank except for a message asking me to insert a disc into drive 0. If I press any key after this I just get an Error message and the next part won't load.

Please could anyone help? I use BeebEm.

Thank you
Emily :?

sorvad

Postby sorvad » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:29 am

Are you loading the disk when requested ?

I have the original on 5.25 floppy, I can't remember there being two disks. However it could be the original was a double sided disk and in the original you'd have to physically turn the disk over and re-insert it.

I can't check this at the moment though.

Perhaps the second side for The Lost Crystal has not been put in the archive. I notice there only appears to be one ssd file. Perhaps there should be one for side one and side 2 ?

If this is the case you just need the side two disk image and then you can load this into drive zero when requested (using beebem's menu) and carry on playing.

Can anyone confirm there's a side two missing for this game ? I suspect there is.

CMcDougall

yo

Postby CMcDougall » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:53 am

hi solvad, :lol: long time no speak, hows it goin?

What is this? game/education. Is it 4M Flowers of Crystal by any chance? if so, i do have this on disc if needed for flip side. It must be 'banana's flip flop!

CM :wink:

sorvad

Postby sorvad » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:11 am

Hi to you to, hope you had a good Christmas, from your other posts sounds like you were under the influence a lot :D

It is an graphic adventure game. They were reasonably popular way back when computers were not too powerful. They lost ground as 3D graphics became more realistic. I was quite fond of them, it was like reading a good book. You could have a beer and a sandwich whilst playing without losing a drop. The nearest modern equivalent I think were the broken sword series of games on the PS and PC.

You typed in commands like "get axe", "Fight Knight" etc. I'm sure you'll remember them now.

It's not Flowers of Crystal. It is definitely called "The Lost Crystal" and it's by Epic. Someone should have the flip side. If not I could sort it but will take time, as you know none of my kit is set up.

I think I have a full original solution sheet somewhere (never used it though, but also never finished game !) but other solutions are available on line.

You were quiet over Christmas, do you not use PC at home ?

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:35 am

Happy new year sorvad!

Oww, Epic ehh. i had Erik The Viking by them, yeah graphics were nice!

My PC at home is now at the mother in laws, as to make space in the livingroom for Xmas tree. Its still there, cant be bothered with it at moment, as ive now got another TV dvd recorder. The £69 one at Asda is S~~t! wont play discs on anything, not even itself! Wont let you finalise disc when it crashed out. So wasted 12hrs+ and 7x 16p tesco discs. Luckily not £1 each! Now have ProLine (comet make) its perfect for £80. Don't do SLP as its lower than VHS quality, ie Mpeg1, rest mpeg 2!

Might get PC back next week, as recording Videos has came to a halt. Its not linked to the Internet, as i have no land line :oops: , only Mobiles!

You dont know how to stop the recorder from saying 'Copyrighted signal' do u? Tried ALL different compinations, its a no go. Even videos done 7+ yrs ago copied dont work :twisted: . So its just TV proggys it does. The only DVDs that copied was 'Straw Dogs' (bad old film before police had power), and u know :roll: !

Hope Santa was good 2 u 2! CM :wink:
Last edited by CMcDougall on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sorvad

Postby sorvad » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:35 pm

Yes, Happy new year to you also.

I bought a DVD recorder from Asda a while back when they were about £90, took it back same day. Was rubbish, on anything less than the top recording quality it wouldn't play back and I bought some good quality DVDRW's as well. Never tried to play back on the player but suspect it wouldn't as worked as you found out.

I then bought a Goodmans from Argos for £99 and that's been fine. My cheap player plays the recordings and it seems OK apart from very lowest quality which I think is SLP ? So I tend to use the one above that and get about 4 hours recording time.

That copyright thing is going to be the Macro encoding on the VHS tape. It's a signal overlayed on to the recording. You don't see it on play back but if you hook up another tape recorder and try copying it the macro encoding signal sends it a bit loopy (not sure exactly what happens exactly but there are sites on the web that will tell you the details).

The recorder is detecting this signal and not allowing you to record. DVD players add this signal on as well to there outputs so you can't copy a DVD to tape but a lot these days allow you to turn it off so you could copy a DVD movie to another DVD player as the Macrovision would be stripped out.

Not sure if there's a hack to allow the player to ignore the signal if it's coming into it. But a web site I look at before I buy an new player etc. may be have some information;

It's

http://www.videohelp.com/

and has loads of info about producing your own VCD SVCD and DVD's etc. Plus they usually have info on all the hacks available for players and recorders. See the lists section.

Good luck with that. I have a VHS collection that I want to archive to DVD as well, so give me any news of your successes.

CMcDougall

cheers

Postby CMcDougall » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:14 pm

cheers 4 that. so u hate CyberHome too! The Goodmans one was the next one too 4 me, until i found the £80 ProLine, and its 1/2 the size! (but no time/chan display, only on TV screen).

Will have a look at that site during lunch.

I just thought copied DVDs/VHS tapes would be ok into scart/phono. But no joy. Yeah MacroVision, thats it. Some do still go from DVD to vhs thow(1/4ish), just thought they would rec back to DVD, but no. The other 3/4 when u press rec on video, it flickers in/out and sometimes the screen just goes blue. feckers!

As i mentioned b4, the only ones that worked were, u know! and off TV. I can see that doing it next, doesnt Sky films do that?? cable TV doesnt! (well Edinburgh anyway).

So your own vids/camcorder will work! and also own DVDs, in my case my Wedding DVD, but got sick of watching it, so stuck it threw the PC with one of those USB DVD recs from work. My PC has USB1.1, so it took 45mins to go in, and 45 mins to come out! (1:46hr SP 4gb long).

Yeah keep away from SLP 6hrs as its Mpeg1 (VHS-), screen blurry, computery.
Mpeg2 = HQ (1hr ?light!) /SP (2hr DVD qual) /LP (3hr sVhs) /EP (4hr VHS+)

Have fun cleaning the heads on the Video every flipping 2hrs! ow and the tracking (even with Auto!) CM :wink:

PS also try :- http://webplus.dvd-recordable.org/Section-3.phtml
PPS Multi-region hacks sort the 'c signal' have to find them!
Last edited by CMcDougall on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fraser

Postby Fraser » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:13 pm

I have some old UEF tape files of The Lost Crystal BBC. Do you want them sent to you? The fourth part is on tape 2 side 2. I've tried it and it works with BeebEm although it didn't when I made the files.

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:37 pm

Could you not then put onto disc, using BeebEm in 8271dc mode? and send the new disc/s to Dave? or upload to fileHD.com and put the link here. That would be great for :-

The New Lady :D ! (Hi Emily S!)

Fraser

Postby Fraser » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:42 pm

It might be different to the disc version. The tape says its for Electron but its got the BBC version. Probably her saved position would load with either version (disk or tape).

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:49 pm

I've had a look at the disc image and compared it with Fraser's old UEF file, and there doesn't appear to be any missing files.

The last file (PART4) is present so the failure must be due to some other problem. :(

EmilyS

Postby EmilyS » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:07 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. It sounds like I've probably got a corrupted file somewhere... I'll try downloading the game file again, and have got the latest version of BeebEm now. Will see what happens when I get to part four again, whenever that is! I knew I needed a good excuse for a mammoth Beeb-session :lol:

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:16 pm

Oh dear, I hope you don't have to play through the whole game again! :(

Doesn't the game use passwords? Or perhaps you took BeebEm save-state snapshots?

In fact, the next time you get to the end of Part 3, can you take a snapshot shortly before the program crashes and send it in?

It might also be worth trying the game on a couple of the other emulators e.g. B-Em and Model B.

Just out of interest, what DFS Rom are you using?

EmilyS

Postby EmilyS » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:48 pm

Well, I downloaded the game again at the weekend and played it through - it works fine now! :D Now all I need to do is remember how to complete it - I am so near the end now #-o The solution on this site (and others that I have found) is incomplete and I am really quite proud of myself for remembering as much as I did after 12-or-so years!

Thanks everyone

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:50 pm

EmilyS wrote:The solution on this site (and others that I have found) is incomplete

Well when you do complete it, feel free to rectify the above by sending me a complete solution!!! :wink:

sorvad

Postby sorvad » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:21 am

I think I've got a solution somewhere, the original one from Epic. I've definitly got Lancelot original from Level 9, and seem to think I've got the Lost Crystal one also.... however my memory's a funny thing, so don't get any hopes up. I'll try and have a rummage this weekend and scan it in if I've got it.

Do you want a Lancelot scan ?

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:36 pm

Yes please! :D

Let me know if you find them and I'll pm you my email address which I use for receiving large attachments.

If they're black and white, do you reckon you'd be able to scan 'em in at 600dpi greyscale and save them as PNGs?

sorvad

Postby sorvad » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:23 pm

Deffo got the Lancelot one, saw it just the other week when rummaging. It's B&W, will get it this weekend and scan on Monday (at work, no scanner at home). Can save it in whatever format you wish, no problem.

sorvad

Postby sorvad » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:04 am

Had a look last night and found the Lancelot help sheet from Level 9. It's not a walk through, it's a four page document with help on everything in the game. Quite small type, loads and loads of info on it. I think it was done this way so if you were stuck on a particular bit you could look up help on just that one thing without reading help on other areas which may have spolied your game.

I've scanned it in, four files, one for each page. The only problem was page one which has a large black block at the top with "Lancelot" in it. This was coming up very poor on greyscale and picking up lots of noise. Possible needed to twiddle with the thresholds or something. For now I've done that as colour and it looks fine.

The files are as you'd expect very large, PM me and I'll give you the details.

Dave_E

Re: The Lost Crystal Part 4 problem

Postby Dave_E » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:43 pm

In case anyone still wonders how to complete THE LOST CRYSTAL:

http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/eug/sols ... -lost.html

Return to “archive issues”