Problem with Chuckie egg - electron dfs version

having trouble with an archived file or want to correct something? report it here!
sydney

Problem with Chuckie egg - electron dfs version

Postby sydney » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:02 pm

I downloaded the dfs version of chuckie egg and transferred it to my electron using UPURS. It crashed after my first game with repeated bad program messages appearing on the enter high score screen. I then tried it in elkulator and found the same behavior. It also would not boot using shift break on my electron but this did work in elkulator. I just tried again and deliberately did not get a high score and it did not crash. And ideas?

I was trying to impress the wife as chuckie egg was her favourite game when she was young. Now she definately thinks I'm mad spending money on my 'toys'.

Simon

MartinB

Re: Problem with Chuckie egg - electron dfs version

Postby MartinB » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:40 pm

I've just tried the UEF (effectively the Elk tape version) on a non-disc Elk using UPCFS - plays fine but also does as you say and bombs out on a high score name entry :?

Actually, if you backspace to the 'crashed' > prompt (which seems to be BASIC) and type RUN <Return>, it enters RUN as the hi-score name and re-starts ok!

Elk experts - Could it be the UPURS rom upsetting it or is this problem already known about ?

(EDIT : Probably not UPURS, just re-read Simon's post and he sees the same in Elkulator.)

sydney

Postby sydney » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:34 pm

I just tried the uef in elkulator and there was no crash, it accepted my high score entry and I started a new game with no problem.

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:07 pm

Maybe a case of which UEF then? :-k

I just tried Elkulator with the same UEF that I tried on my real Elk and it does the same hi-score entry crash. I think I got this one from Lee?

ChuckieEgg_E.zip
(8.1 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

sydney

Postby sydney » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:44 pm

Not tried it as yet as I'm trying to get the baby to sleep but I used the version from stairway to hell and the uef is 8k, yours is 14k.

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:51 pm

Ok Simon - I'll have a play with the other version tomorrow if you don't reach a conclusion by then :wink:

Simon wrote:I'm trying to get the baby to sleep
:-$

sydney

Postby sydney » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:28 am

Just had a quick go using the 14k version from MartinB and entered a high score with no problem. :?

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Ha ha, excellent. Now none of this makes any sense Image

sydney

Postby sydney » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:04 pm

OK. No idea why it's not working so I've started from scratch and made another ssd with chuckie egg on uising the 8k version I had. It seems to work ok for me in elkulator. I'm not going to be able to test in on real hardware until tomorrow so feel free to test it for me if you have time.
Attachments
chuck.rar
(7.74 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:14 pm

I can only try UEFs on Elkulator, but both UEFs I found (the one on this thread and the one on STH) worked fine - either with or without Plus 3 enabled. Get through level one, then repeatedly walk into the hole on the left-hand side on level 2 until all lives gone. Enter BOB in high score ... no problems.

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:37 pm

Ahem, cough - it was actually me adding to the confusion, I've never claimed to be much of a gamer :lol:

What I thought was crashing, i.e. the 'BASIC prompt', is in fact exactly how it should look when entering a hi-score name #-o. I know this because I've just tried the image you (Simon) posted and /that/ is a crash with, as you said, 'Bad Program' everywhere :shock:

So, up until trying your image tonight, nothing I've previously tried crashes after all (plonker that I am) and I've now tested all the loading modes I can muster. So, the question is, how are you producing your disc images? I notice the last one you posted is a full 200k which is unusual, why are you not just grabbing one from the net as is?

Anyway, unzip the attached, transfer to Elk disc with *UPSSD 0, <Shift><Break> and see what you get. Deffo fine for me :D (Now I know what fine is of course :roll:)

ChuckieEgg-electron.zip
(7.71 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

sydney

Postby sydney » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:08 am

Martin, your ssd works fine for me in elkulator and my electron.
The ssd I posted last night worked for me last night but does not now :shock: . I really can't explain how, maybe I was just tired and made a mistake and used the uef :? . I didn't actually expect it to work, I was just playing round on elkulator.
The original file I downloaded was from the sth website here:
http://www.stairwaytohell.com/electron/dfs/ANF-ChuckieEgg-elk.zip
This crashes in a very similar way to the file I uploaded so I presume has not been cracked but simply transferred to disk.

The ssd I posted was created in elkulator by using the 'new disc 0/2' option from the disc menu then copying the files onto it.

I should hopefully have a copy of the acorn electron world dvd sometime next week so won't have any trouble locating working ssd images in the future.

That leaves only one question: Does the ssd image I link to at the top work for anyone else?
I tried it again this morning and the only time it did not crash at the high score entry point was when I had the upurs rom loaded in sideways ram and I obtained a high score but did not complete level one. I did however have 1 character of corruption on screen where the cursor should have been. If I got a high score on a level above 1 it crashed in the normal way.

I'm happy now as I can now impress the wife (NOT!) with my chuckie egg skills!

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:19 pm

Simon wrote:The ssd I posted was created in elkulator by using the 'new disc 0/2' option from the disc menu then copying the files onto it.
I'm pretty sure the image I posted was also from STH, probably the very same one, but the file as downloaded is already an ssd and so you shouldn't need to do any further manipulation to use it, even in Elkulator? Indeed, by doing what you're doing, you will as a minimum lose the OPT (Boot) status of the disc and unless you manually reset it, that explains why one of your discs wouldn't boot with <Shift><Break>. In addition, there could be 'hidden' files and/or data on a given image which again you will lose with simple file copying.

Bottom line, locate ssd or dsd images online or from your DVD and don't in any way tamper with them under emulation, just transfer them straight to disc with UPURS 8)

sydney

Postby sydney » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:02 pm

MartinB wrote:
Simon wrote:The ssd I posted was created in elkulator by using the 'new disc 0/2' option from the disc menu then copying the files onto it.
I'm pretty sure the image I posted was also from STH, probably the very same one, but the file as downloaded is already an ssd and so you shouldn't need to do any further manipulation to use it, even in Elkulator?

The initial problem was with an ssd downloaded from sth transferred to an elk via UPURS. This is the file I linked to. It is definitely not the same file you posted as yours has an extra file called 'LOAD' which is loaded upon shift/break.

Indeed, by doing what you're doing, you will as a minimum lose the OPT (Boot) status of the disc and unless you manually reset it, that explains why one of your discs wouldn't boot with <Shift><Break>. In addition, there could be 'hidden' files and/or data on a given image which again you will lose with simple file copying.

The ssd I created used files copied over from the 8k uef image I also downloaded from sth.

Bottom line, locate ssd or dsd images online or from your DVD and don't in any way tamper with them under emulation, just transfer them straight to disc with UPURS 8)

I actually had issues with a couple more ssd's from sth, one a football game and I can't remember the other.

Return to “archive issues”