slight faults with games

having trouble with an archived file or want to correct something? report it here!
Michael Brown

slight faults with games

Postby Michael Brown » Sun May 15, 2011 9:46 pm

I have noticed that both UIM from The Fourth Dimension and Phantom by Tynesoft have slight faults on both BeebEm and B-em

The fault with UIM is that in BBC B mode on both emulators the screen draws weird lines instead of the earth after you have played the game and been destroyed. The game however works fine in Master Mode.
I am not sure if this is a fault with the image or if both emulators are at fault as I am not in a position to try the image on a real beeb at the moment.

Phantom by Tynesoft (disk copy) runs ok but there is a slight fault when the screen which displays "Phantom" reloads as all the text flashes the different colours with the tune instead of just "Phantom" like when first loaded.

Has anyone got alternative copies of these 2 titles they can post?

Michael Brown

Re: slight faults with games

Postby Michael Brown » Mon May 16, 2011 11:09 am

Just had a look at Cholo from Firebird. Both the STH image and the fdi disk image both crash after you are "dead" on both BeebEm and b-em in BBC mode.

I am not sure if you are supossed to press shift/break to start again or whether the game should return to the load save game position.

I have read through the manual on the net but no mention of what to do after being killed.

any ideas anyone?

billcarr2005

Postby billcarr2005 » Mon May 16, 2011 7:34 pm

Michael Brown wrote:Phantom by Tynesoft (disk copy) runs ok but there is a slight fault when the screen which displays "Phantom" reloads as all the text flashes the different colours with the tune instead of just "Phantom" like when first loaded.

Having checked on my own BBC, i can confirm that it exhibits the same behaviour on the original hardware.

billcarr2005

Postby billcarr2005 » Mon May 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Michael Brown wrote:Just had a look at Cholo from Firebird. Both the STH image and the fdi disk image both crash after you are "dead" on both BeebEm and b-em in BBC mode.

I am not sure if you are supossed to press shift/break to start again or whether the game should return to the load save game position.

I have read through the manual on the net but no mention of what to do after being killed.

any ideas anyone?

http://www.acornpreservation.org/archiv ... /scan_doc/

Refer to:

Cholo (Firebird) (B) (Disc) [leaflet-0].jpg

"...If you want to restart or load in an old position, press SHIFT and hold down BREAK..."

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Mon May 16, 2011 8:23 pm

that's fine.
It was just that I had the tape copy BITD and couldn't remember it displaying the graphics like that. I expect that it is just how the disk image performs and there is nothing wrong with it.

As for Cholo, just spotted the Press shift/break to restart in the instructions. Oops I must have missed that when I typed in the instructions for it a few years back when I included it on a games disk. It does seem a bit odd that you have to press shift/break to restart but I think one or two other games also had that routine.
Thanks anyway. I can sleep tonight now.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Thu May 26, 2011 9:34 am

That just leaves the graphics fault with UIM.
As I said before, the graphics are fine in Master Mode but not in BBC Mode.
Having not got access to a real beeb to check for myself, it could be that both emulators are not registering the graphics correctly, or it could be a fault with the STH image of the game.

The version I really want to have up-and-running correctly is the BBC B sideways RAM version as this is the version on one of my games disks.

Has anyone else noticed the graphics fault which only occurs one the map of earth screen after playing the game and being destroyed.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:42 am

finally took another look at UIM.
did a dump of all the files and found the problem which is that the disk copy in the STH archive has corrupt data, but only on the BBC B 16k RAM version which explains why the Master version works fine on both BeebEm and B-em.

Loaded in B-em and downloaded the original 40 and 80 track fdi copies from Acorn Preservation site and both work fine in BBC B mode with Sideways RAM on both BeebEm and B-em.

The 40 track copy contains just the BBC B 16k RAM version and is not protected so you can copy all the files over to a blank disk and load that into BeebEm in drive 0. (note: must be drive 0)
It is a shame that BeebEm doesn't support fdi images.
For anyone who can't be bothered to copy the files over, I have now copied them onto my games disk 077 (over the old ones) and I will issue this disk later in the year.

Enjoy!
Mick.

Return to “archive issues”