Gardenquest A&B Computing Oct 85 EUG 45 etc.

having trouble with an archived file or want to correct something? report it here!
iamaran

Gardenquest A&B Computing Oct 85 EUG 45 etc.

Postby iamaran » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:50 pm

This line is definitely wrong
2340IFFLAG(ITEM)AND8) PROCTEXT(59):ENDPROC
and I have my suspicions that there may be one or two others.

Does anyone have the magazine scanned, or an original A&B disk or...?
Thanks.

Slo

Re: Gardenquest A&B Computing Oct 85 EUG 45 etc.

Postby Slo » Mon May 02, 2011 9:23 pm

Ive just ran it and it seems to be ok and that line is exactly the same in my listing
Attachments
A&B_Computing_Volume_2_No._10_(1985)(A&B)[h_Dave][bootfile].zip
(12.56 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
BBC Computer 32K
BASIC
>*DOWNLOAD EVERYTHING POSSIBLE
Searching
_

Erm....gonna need a sh!tload of memory pal :/

iamaran

Postby iamaran » Wed May 04, 2011 3:53 pm

Thanks for that, but type GET BOWL and then THROW BOWL from the starting location.

Surely one too many closing brackets in that line?

Slo

Postby Slo » Wed May 04, 2011 3:59 pm

ok i changed it to

2340IFFLAG(ITEM)AND(8) PROCTEXT(59):ENDPROC or....
2340IFFLAG(ITEM)AND8 PROCTEXT(59):ENDPROC

and tried it again and after typing in get bowl, throw bowl it says "you would make a terrible mess" so it looks like the original author made a mistake and it was never tested properly, or at least someone made a mistake typing it in at the magazine office or something :lol:
BBC Computer 32K
BASIC
Searching
_

iamaran

Postby iamaran » Wed May 11, 2011 7:32 am

Thanks for that. I think the line should be
2340IF(FLAG(ITEM)AND8)=0 PROCTEXT(59):ENDPROC
to make the game winnable.

Dave_E

Postby Dave_E » Sun May 15, 2011 6:27 pm

Probably my fault there. Although the odd missing bracket is a small price you pay for not having to type all the A&B programs in yourself before being able to play them LOL.

EUG 45 was the first EUG magazine I put together and if I'd never taken it over, I'd probably never have put together Acorn Electron World and everything that flowed from it.

iamaran

Postby iamaran » Mon May 16, 2011 11:04 am

Dave_E wrote:Probably my fault there. Although the odd missing bracket is a small price you pay for not having to type all the A&B programs in yourself before being able to play them LOL.

Yes, a small price indeed. The error has been repeated in the four or five compilations in which I've seen the game, so maybe not your error anyway!

Dave_E

Postby Dave_E » Mon May 16, 2011 11:27 am

Well, I quickly opened up my EUG 45 and A&B 2.10 discs and stuck in the corrected line - so any more 'pressings' of the DVD will have corrected versions now.

I also discovered, relatively recently, when playing GHOSTS (another A&B game) that there was an error with one of the platforms on the first level, rendering the game uncompleteable. These things only really get ironed out if someone takes a game and really tries to win it, or play it to death.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Mon May 16, 2011 2:43 pm

any chance of a fixed image of Ghosts getting posted here?

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Mon May 16, 2011 9:54 pm

Kenton gave me his original development discs/tapes a couple of years ago, which amongst other things contained a copy of GHOSTS ... I can always post an emulator image if you want?
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug Leicestershire (17-19 November 2017)

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Mon May 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Well I've split the files off from the Dev Disc and attached a disc image.

Hopefully this'll run ok ... ?
Attachments
Ghosts_KentonsCopy.zip
(6.32 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug Leicestershire (17-19 November 2017)

Slo

Postby Slo » Mon May 16, 2011 11:14 pm

Dave_E out of pure curiosity, what was the actual line 2340 from gardenquest? Have you got the magazine to hand?

Andrew
BBC Computer 32K
BASIC
Searching
_

Dave_E

Postby Dave_E » Tue May 17, 2011 8:02 am

'Fraid not. The bug's still there in Kenton's development version.

Basically the bug stops you getting off the first screen - you cannot get onto the first moving platform - because it doesn't come up to the edge of the one you are standing on.

Curiously, Kenton's version also lacks all the colourful Mode 7 titles of the finished A&B version. Maybe they spruced them up a bit before it went to press (although they clearly didn't attempt the levels or they'd have found they couldn't get very far!)

Here's a version with the bug fixed. It's a very easy patch to make BTW.

You can now win the first level - but I've given up on trying to play this game any further. Too dang hard.
Attachments
d-ghos.zip
Kenton Price Version With Bug Fix
(5.98 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
d-a301.zip
A&B
(32.68 KiB) Downloaded 134 times

paulv

Postby paulv » Tue May 17, 2011 10:39 am

GHOSTS and GHOULS... What is the relationship between them? Clearly they share similar graphics from the screenshot and I'd imagine the gameplay was similar too so which came first, was one a sequel to the other etc. etc.

As GHOULS remains one of my all time favourite games and until today I'd never seen GHOSTS, any and all historic information will be very much appreciated :D

Paul

mjforbes

Postby mjforbes » Tue May 17, 2011 11:01 am

I'd hazard a guess that "Ghosts" came before "Ghouls", as it was published in A&B. My guess is that Superior saw it, liked it, bought it, polished it off, and marketed it.

Had it been the other way around, I'm sure Superior's legal team would have jumped into action faster than it took me to NOT complete the first level of "Ghosts" (waaay too hard!).

"Ghouls" was one of my favourites BITD as well, so it's interesting to see it's prequel (if the above assumptions are in fact correct...)

Regards,

Matt
"We're happy as fish, as gorgeous as geese, and wonderfully clean in the morning."

Dave_E

Postby Dave_E » Tue May 17, 2011 12:14 pm

GHOULS definitely came first and GHOSTS was a blatant rip off of it. Probably so few people were able to get it working from the pages of A&B tho' (seeing as it forgot to print entire sections of the listing and it was all machine code mnemonics) so it probably slipped under Micro Power's radar.

Or indeed, Micro Power might have already abandoned the BBC/Electron market by then anyway. They got out relatively early.

mjforbes

Postby mjforbes » Tue May 17, 2011 12:24 pm

mjforbes wrote: My guess is that Superior saw it, liked it, bought it, polished it off, and marketed it.

Dave_E wrote:Or indeed, Micro Power might have already abandoned the BBC/Electron market by then anyway. They got out relatively early.

Duh. I meant Micro Power, of course. Been one of those days - databases not working, servers not talking to each other (or if they are, it's in a language I've never come across) and now, it seems that my memory/fingers interface has failed me as well.

Might just write the afternoon off and go to the pub. Certainly sounds more fun ... :)
"We're happy as fish, as gorgeous as geese, and wonderfully clean in the morning."

kenton

Postby kenton » Sun May 22, 2011 10:07 pm

It was definitely a blatant ripoff - I'd bought Ghouls, I thought I could write a game like that, and it was my first machine code game. Well, it was about half-and-half assembler and BASIC, IIRC.

Incidentally I'm pretty sure there's no bug - you're meant to be able to jump onto the platform. Try jumping onto it when you're halfway off the *left* edge. And of course, "too damned hard" was a compliment back in the day - it's not meant to be easy ;)

kenton

Postby kenton » Mon May 23, 2011 11:30 pm

Dave_E wrote:'Fraid not. The bug's still there in Kenton's development version.

Basically the bug stops you getting off the first screen - you cannot get onto the first moving platform - because it doesn't come up to the edge of the one you are standing on.

See, I knew your arse was getting vocal on this ;) I haven't played this for 25 years, but it's easy when you know how:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms4xRgWpAd4

If you anally want to get every yellow pill, you can run back along it afterwards.

Dave_E

Postby Dave_E » Thu May 26, 2011 10:54 pm

Actually I tried and tried doing just that but I couldn't for the life of me make it.

However, after musing over the original article in A&B I think I might have discovered what the problem was/is.

There are a few changes which the user makes to the code to make GHOSTS work on the Electron - AFTER it's been typed in.

I suspect these changes make the game a lot faster.

So all of the uncontrollable behaviour that got me in a flap when I reviewed it might actually be a consequence of playing the Electron version of the game in BeebEm.

UNFORTUNATELY, in a "not really thinking it through" moment, I think when I typed up GHOSTS I *only* put a version on the A&B disc that worked on the Electron. The BBC version is probably therefore MIA (apart from the one on Kenton's development disc maybe)...! Hmmmm, I will muse further.

I saw your vid, Kenton - you should've posted it as a video response to the 5G5M episode!

kenton

Postby kenton » Fri May 27, 2011 11:48 am

Dave_E wrote:I think when I typed up GHOSTS

Er... you typed it in from A&B??!?!

Dave_E

Postby Dave_E » Fri May 27, 2011 12:01 pm

Yeah man!

kenton

Postby kenton » Fri May 27, 2011 12:07 pm

Dave_E wrote:Yeah man!

Oh you poor thing. I remember the day I bought that magazine from the newsagents next to Horsham station, opened it, and panicked - what a total cock-up. I went to a payphone (oh yes - I was 15) and called the editor Mark Webb asking what on earth he'd done. They published the correction later... but didn't give me the £25 for the extra page! Thieves.

PM me your email, I'll send you my copy of the app, see if it's any better. It's just about playable on B-Em - but it is difficult, and was always meant to be.

Dave_E

Postby Dave_E » Fri May 27, 2011 3:48 pm

I typed it about nine years ago and the trauma has left me by now. It was during a long summer and I did one A&B mag per day until they were all done. Well, ahem, not *all* done actually because there were no Electron programs after issue 4.08.

DaveHoskins

Postby DaveHoskins » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:01 pm

kenton wrote:

Oh you poor thing. I remember the day I bought that magazine from the newsagents next to Horsham station, opened it, and panicked - what a total cock-up. I went to a payphone (oh yes - I was 15) and called the editor Mark Webb asking what on earth he'd done. They published the correction later... but didn't give me the £25 for the extra page! Thieves.

Yeah, right...thieves hey! *tsk* *tsk*
[-X :roll: :lol: :D
Cheers,
Dave Hoskins - author of Ghouls! :mrgreen:

paulv

Postby paulv » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:58 pm

DaveHoskins wrote:Dave Hoskins - author of Ghouls! :mrgreen:

One of my favourite platformers of all times... :D =D>

Paul

DaveHoskins

Postby DaveHoskins » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:25 pm

paulv wrote:
DaveHoskins wrote:Dave Hoskins - author of Ghouls! :mrgreen:

One of my favourite platformers of all times... :D =D>

Paul

Hey thanks! There's a trick to timing the jump btw, for those struggling with it. I just loaded it up in an emulator and remembered straight away!
*edit* Of course I used to just run through the levels easily (ish) when I were a lad. :)
If you stand on the edge of a platform with both feet on it, rather than hanging off slightly. Then hold jump down, while jumping, run in the direction of the gap. The same technique applies to the spikes, but you have to be half a block from it rather than next to it. I think the emu has slight timing problems so it makes it harder than on the actual Beeb anyway.
Has it really been 28 years?! Amazing.

kenton

Postby kenton » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:35 pm

DaveHoskins wrote:
kenton wrote:

Thieves.

Yeah, right...thieves hey! *tsk* *tsk*
[-X :roll: :lol: :D
Cheers,
Dave Hoskins - author of Ghouls! :mrgreen:

ROFL! Technically correct though that they're the thieves - it's A&B's copyright, bought from me for a total of one hundred and fifty British pounds. Was a lot of money to a thirteen year old at boarding school.

DaveHoskins

Postby DaveHoskins » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:02 pm

ROFL! Technically correct though that they're the thieves - it's A&B's copyright, bought from me for a total of one hundred and fifty British pounds. Was a lot of money to a thirteen year old at boarding school.

Bought from you! :shock: , you're making it even funnier now! Here, have a shovel. :lol:
I thought you said you were 15? I was also 15 at the time, and I'm glad I didn't spot this, or I would have gone into a complete door bashing rage! :evil: :wink:
Oh well, it's all in the distant passed now... :)
Program Power bought the rights off me, and I guess things like IP litigiousness on computer software didn't really exist back then. I'm just really surprised they didn't contact A&B over this, well, as far I know anyway.
Cheers,
Dave H.

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:45 am

Just like to add my comments on Ghouls, an excellent game, easily one my favourite BBC games , just a shame there were only 4 levels, otherwise thanks for a brilliant game.

Return to “archive issues”