6502 Advanced BASIC V questions

Development tools discussion area.
Elminster

6502 Advanced BASIC V questions

Postby Elminster » Sun May 28, 2017 8:20 am

Was interested to see Jonathan's comments about existence of Advanced Basic aka Basic V for 6502 copro. I knew there was a version of Basic V for arm copro's but hadn't realised there was one for the 6502 as well.

I see the copy of the ROM is on mdfs.net along with an advert, I had a quick search for more info but not come up with anything yet, will keep looking. So my questions are:

1) Does anyone know where the install/ops manual for 6502 BASIC V is?
2) I assume any BASIC V programming manual for Archie/RISC OS can be followed as long as you ignore bits about windows and embedded ARM assembly?

Elminster

Re: 6502 Advanced BASIC V questions

Postby Elminster » Sun May 28, 2017 8:04 pm

So the BASHELP file in the zip on MDFS gives some help. Would seem that the if is improved for exmple. Multiline if in Adv Basic but no ELSIF which I think the RISC version has.

e.g 2) IF <expression> THEN
<statements>
ELSE
<statements>
ENDIF

Has the while and case, and lots more. Interesting.

I wonder if the BASIC 5 Compiler could be 'fixed' so it did 6502 instead of ASM code. The one from DABS, I know nothign about it, just saw it when reading about BASIC 5.

EDIT: According the the help file the manual I want is 'User Guide to Advanced BASIC.' Not come across that one before.

Elminster

Re: 6502 Advanced BASIC V questions

Postby Elminster » Sun May 28, 2017 9:22 pm

So the !boot file loads hibasic into 4 and adv basic into rom 5.

I am assuming the adv basic rom builds on top of the hibasic rom, effectively giving you a 32k basic.

Says advanced basic on break but oddly if you go in and out of advanced basic editor it reports that is has dropped you back into hibasic. Not sure if that is expected behaviour.

Return to “development tools”