Stardot on GitHub

Development tools discussion area.
kieranhj

Stardot on GitHub

Postby kieranhj » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:50 am

Hello Acorn coding friends,

A few months ago we managed to obtain the stardot organisation name for use on GitHub: https://github.com/stardot. This can be considered the "official" repository for projects and development tools that are critical to and shared by the Acorn community. Once something evolves beyond a personal project it would seem safer and more sustainable to move things into a shared organisational structure that has multiple owners (we already have had examples of personal accounts disappearing from GitHub.)

If anyone would like to become a member please just request access in the usual manner on GitHub. We already have a number of Stardot regular set up as owners on the organisation, including myself, RichTW, Hoglet, TomS etc.

Current projects are: B-Em (moved from somewhere, can't remember now!) and BeemEm (forked from mjwoodcock).

Please use this thread for suggestions on how the community can best use this GitHub organisation for the benefit of the Acorn community.

E.g. we had an effort to archive / preserve the Wiki from retrosoftware.co.uk but that has also gone a bit quiet.

sweh

Re: Stardot on GitHub

Postby sweh » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:30 pm

kieranhj wrote:If anyone would like to become a member please just request access in the usual manner on GitHub.

For those of us who don't use github orgs, what is the "usual manner". Googling just shows how an owner can invite people; I couldn't find a "request" method...
Rgds
Stephen

kieranhj

Re: Stardot on GitHub

Postby kieranhj » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:37 pm

sweh wrote:For those of us who don't use github orgs, what is the "usual manner". Googling just shows how an owner can invite people; I couldn't find a "request" method...

This was my bad, I just confirmed with GitHub technical support that users cannot request to join an organisation, they do have to be invited by an owner. I propose that we ask the admins to create a sticky thread on this board for forum members to request access.

Once a user is a member of an organisation, they can request to join teams, which is the access control model for different repositories. This way we can have a simple process for a various maintainers and contributors to different projects, e.g. BeebAsm, BeebEm etc.

I have sent you an invitation to join the Stardot org on GitHub.

Return to “development tools”