Happy Mrs Chicken!

Got a programming project in mind? Tell everyone about it!
sydney

Happy Mrs Chicken!

Postby sydney » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:16 pm

So I've been off work all week as my youngest daughter has chickenpox and we've been having lots of fun together playing games, reading books, drawing, watching tv and even a bit of beeb gaming. She started asking questions about how the games work and somehow I ended up asking her if she'd like to make her own game.
One of her favourite tv shows is Peppa Pig and there is a computer game on the show called Happy Mrs Chicken - she even has it on her Nintendo DS! The aim of the game is to lay eggs and they turn into little chicks and run off the screen. And thats it! However, you can lay over 100 eggs and I think the beeb might struggle plotting over 100 sprites every frame so we've adapted the idea a bit.
Happy Mrs Chicken is going to run around the screen eating corn and laying eggs. You have to try to catch her as soon as possible as every egg she lays will hatch into a little chick and try to run off the screen. You will also be able to collect the eggs and the hatched chicks before they escape. Once you catch Mrs Chicken the level is over and will begin again with a faster chicken or more chickens.
I've not got much done but I think I could have something playable by the weekend. Here is a screenshot of the graphics we designed together on graph paper and some of her brainstorming!

HMC project on github: https://github.com/sydney69/HMC

chicken.png

brainstorm.jpg

leenew

Re: Happy Mrs Chicken!

Postby leenew » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:50 pm

Why didn't you let your daughter do the drawings Simon? :-k :D

Lee.

danielj

Postby danielj » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:57 pm

:lol:

Love it! :D

sirmorris

Postby sirmorris » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:02 pm

Trivia: Happy Mr. Chicken was a bawdy song that appeared in the short but superb animated series 'the big knights' which is where my nickname and avatar came from. Sir Morris is NOT the finest swordsman in the land, but he is the most enthusiastic. Ahem. The big knights was the series from Astley Baker Davies that came before Peppa.

sydney

Postby sydney » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:07 pm

leenew wrote:Why didn't you let your daughter do the drawings Simon? :-k :D

Lee.

That's some of my best ever graphic work I'll have you know!

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:42 pm

Brings back memories of a few years ago when my daughter was addictied to Happy Mrs Chicken game on the iPad. But of course now she hates Peppa pig because it is 'for babies' so I have to watch it by myself......

jonb

Postby jonb » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:56 pm

Elminster wrote:Brings back memories of a few years ago when my daughter was addictied to Happy Mrs Chicken game on the iPad. But of course now she hates Peppa pig because it is 'for babies' so I have to watch it by myself......

Who'd have known...?

sydney

Postby sydney » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:22 pm

I've got the Peppa graphic sorted out but the other sprites haven't gone so well and are a bit corrupted, I'd forgotten that the sprite routine prints one whole column then moves to the next and I'd stored the sprite data in rows! #-o
So far you can move Peppa Pig left and right across the screen and thats it. Up and down will be sorted tomorrow (or tonight!) then Happy Mrs Chicken will make an appearance.
Attachments
happymrschicken.zip
(767 Bytes) Downloaded 13 times

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:15 pm

My daughter has said 'Although I know longer like Peppa Pig, It's Cool'.

And it is the first game Ihave completed for ages, I got from left to right and back without geting blown up.

And coincidentally is wearing her StarDot t-shirt today.

sydney

Postby sydney » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:22 pm

sirmorris wrote:Trivia: Happy Mr. Chicken was a bawdy song that appeared in the short but superb animated series 'the big knights' which is where my nickname and avatar came from. Sir Morris is NOT the finest swordsman in the land, but he is the most enthusiastic. Ahem. The big knights was the series from Astley Baker Davies that came before Peppa.

Wow! I've just spent the last half hour watching 'the big knights'. It's Great!

sirmorris

Postby sirmorris » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:27 am

Isn't it just. It's criminal that it wasn't better known.

RobC

Postby RobC » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:04 am

Excellent work Sydney! Somewhere I have got a Peppa Pig colouring game that uses the RH Electronics light pen from when our eldest went through the Peppa phase :D

I also remember "The Big Knights"!

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:35 am

My favourite game used to be work out which characters play who in peppa pig and Little Kingdon. e.g Mrs Plum = Mrs Rabbit. Loads of others but they have slipped from my memory now.

simonm

Postby simonm » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:02 am

Love it! Peppa looks great with the beebs gaudy palette!
Trivia time - the Peppa HMC app was one of my company's creations! I really enjoyed working on that! :)

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:26 am

I think I would have chosen sponge bob, much easier to draw! But now I am expecting the whole back catalogue from Sydney. Plus a few retro 80's tv tie ins. Battle of the planets and Godzilla cartoon were my favourites.

sydney

Postby sydney » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:46 am

I've got peppa moving up and down the screen now and slowed her horizontal movement a bit. I've also added the project to github here: https://github.com/sydney69/HMC

More time off work today as my eldest daughter is ill, hopefully she hasn't caught chickenpox off the other one otherwise it's another week in the house for me. Oh no what can I possibly do to fill my time? :lol:

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:50 pm

Do you offer this service to 3rd parties. I.e. we get ill and you come around our house and write us a game?

sydney

Postby sydney » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:05 pm

Happy Mrs Chicken is running around the screen now. You can't catch her though.
Standard beeb controls.
Attachments
disk.zip
(950 Bytes) Downloaded 16 times

Return to “projects”