Things I am doing. Desktop application

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
pau1ie

Things I am doing. Desktop application

Postby pau1ie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:09 pm

I am working on a desktop application for the bbcmicro website. At present it doesn't do much, but the plan is for it to download the website and give similar functionality. At present it downloads what I call "Lee's spreadsheet" at bbcmicro.co.uk/ss.php and populates a local database which is then used to generate a screen which looks pretty much the same as the bbcmicro website. The next thing I want to work on is to add the screenshots, and the disc images, then I will be able to get it to fire up the games in an emulator.

It will also need polishing. At present while downloading and parsing the spreadsheet it just hangs, and the operating system reports it is not responding. I ought to put some progress bars in there and use threads so the main application doesn't hang, but I don't know what I am doing - I am learning all this as I go.

Longer term I would like to be able to create menus and disc images for the MMB (Micks images would be better for this) and datacentre with menus generated from the metadata in the database. This will take years though.

Anyway I thought I would post to provoke discussion. I am writing it in python and pyqt so it can run on Windows and Linux, so hopefully other operating systems will also work. I should upload it to github so anyone can see it. Is anyone interested in it before it works properly? Can anyone else help, support, advise, encourage or even heckle?

Any ideas for a name?
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

lurkio

Re: Things I am doing. Desktop application

Postby lurkio » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:58 pm

pau1ie wrote:I am working on a desktop application for the bbcmicro website. At present it doesn't do much, but the plan is for it to download the website

That reminded me of an idea for the website that I think has been proposed before: that there should be a way to download all the .SSDs from bbcmicro.co.uk in one big lump (a zip archive or something).

Ideally you'd have options to rename each .SSD before adding it to the zip because users don't necessarily want a load of files with names beginning with the "DiscNNN-" prefix. Renaming options could include no prefix, a publisher prefix/suffix, an author prefix/suffix, etc.

But the main thing would be to get your basic all-SSD zip download working first.

What do you think?

As for this new idea for an app, it's huge, and I haven't really had time to process it yet..!

:-k

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:29 pm

lurkio wrote:there should be a way to download all the .SSDs from bbcmicro.co.uk in one big lump

Have a look at bbcmicro.co.uk/archdl.php.

I will use it for the application as well. As you will remember I don't like giving options, I would much prefer to find the thing that works best for the most cases - kind of the Apple way of doing things. (Though I never use Apple products so I wouldn't know!)

However, if you want to influence the format of the archive then now is the time to do so. At present the application checks if a disc image has been uploaded and if so it regenerates zip files for screenshots and disc images. This takes about a minute, so if it hangs be patient. I should probably make it a little friendlier, but that can wait.

Screenshot file names aren't listed in the spreadsheet, so I might have to add them. Most have a similar name to the disc image, but not all, so that can't be guaranteed. I might have to add a column to the spreadsheet if it doesn't cause Lee too much trouble.

I am aware that others are providing the hosting, so let me know if you feel I am taking the mickey with storage of bandwidth. I think the zip files are just under 100M together, so hopefully that can be coped with.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:42 pm

pau1ie wrote:if you want to influence the format of the archive then now is the time to do so.

What exactly do you mean by "the format of the archive"?

If you mean the filenames of the .SSDs, and if you don't want to make the prefixes/suffixes in the filenames user-configurable, then I'd suggest stripping the "DiscNNN-" prefix off each .SSD filename before adding the .SSD to the zip because the prefix isn't really relevant to the typical user, who probably just wants a download of all the games as individual games and doesn't care which of Mick's DSDs each game was originally taken from.

:idea:

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:45 pm

lurkio wrote:If you mean the filenames of the .SSDs

Yes, that. The one thing I am keen to ensure is that it is possible to link up the files to their metadata. This is required for the desktop app, and also it would be a shame to lose the association with the data which Lee and you have spent ages collecting...

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:53 pm

pau1ie wrote:The one thing I am keen to ensure is that it is possible to link up the files to their metadata. This is required for the desktop app, and also it would be a shame to lose the association with the data which Lee and you have spent ages collecting...

Well, you said, "I don't like giving options, I would much prefer to find the thing that works best for the most cases". So it depends whose point of view you're taking. If it's the typical user's point of view, then the "DiscNNN-" prefix is at best meaningless and at worst annoying or confusing, so the thing that works best for them is stripping the prefix off the filename. It might also be helpful for the user to be able to sort the .SSDs alphabetically by filename (game name).

But if you need the prefix for data-integrity purposes for your app, perhaps you could create a separate archive just for that?

:?:

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:00 pm

lurkio wrote:I'd suggest stripping the "DiscNNN-" prefix off each .SSD filename before adding the .SSD to the zip because the prefix isn't really relevant to the typical user, who probably just wants a download of all the games as individual games and doesn't care which of Mick's DSDs each game was originally taken from.

Have to say I do agree with the above entirely.

But if the disc numbers do have to be retained, could they be stored at the END of the filename e.g. Invaders-Acornsoft_045.ssd so when you view a directory of games they are listed in alphabetical order of title (assuming sort order is set to alphabetical of course).
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug NORTH (Manchester) (19-21 January 2018)
ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:40 pm

An issue with what you are suggesting is that you would get the following duplicate filenames doing as you suggest. i.e. four files would be called Reversi.ssd - see below.

Now, what I would really like for the desktop app would be to name the files id.ssd where id is the id number of the game (1-2803ish) However the user searching the download directory would have trouble identifying the file. So it would be nice to have a name and a number in them. It would also be nice to have a name as you suggest and a number to tell apart files with the same name. So how about:

title-id.ssd

i.e.filename with DiscNNN- stripped from the start, and -id added to the end where id is the id number of the game. Maybe with leading zeroes, I am not sure.

Your suggestion gives:

Code: Select all

select count(*),file from (
 SELECT case substr(filename,1,4) when 'Disc' then substr(filename,9) else filename end as file
 FROM `images` ) as t
group by file order by count(*) desc ;

count    file
4    Reversi.ssd
3    Battleships.ssd
2    3DMunchy.ssd
2    BumbleBee.ssd
2    GuyInTheHat.ssd
2    QMansBrother.ssd
2    Ultron.ssd
2    Frenzy.ssd
2    SeaWolf.ssd
2    Duck.ssd
2    Maze.ssd
2    StarWars.ssd
2    MrDo.ssd
2    Froggy.ssd
2    Millipede.ssd
2    Tanks.ssd
2    LunarLander.ssd
2    Miner.ssd
2    Darts.ssd
2    Paras.ssd
2    Quadline.ssd
2    Blackjack.ssd
2    Cribbage.ssd
2    FourInARow.ssd
2    DayAtTheRaces.ssd
2    Phoenix.ssd
2    Bomber.ssd
2    NoughtsAndCrosses.ssd
2    CodeBreaker.ssd
2    Enigma.ssd
2    Duel2P.ssd
2    Escape.ssd
2    AirTrafficControlSimulator.ssd
2    Hilo.ssd
2    Adventure.ssd
2    PhilosophersQuestSTD.ssd
2    PriceOfMagikSTT.ssd
2    DraculasCastle.ssd
2    IncaTreasure.ssd
2    Blitz.ssd
2    AcesHigh.ssd
2    Fruity.ssd
2    MastermindRH.ssd
2    StartrekGamesPackOne.ssd
2    Dodgems.ssd
2    Pontoon.ssd
2    Pairs.ssd
2    CatchEmPrikkomani2P.ssd

My suggestion gives:

select count(*),concat(substr(file,1,length(file)-4),'-',id,substr(file,-4)) as f1 from (
  SELECT case substr(filename,1,4) when 'Disc' then substr(filename,9) else filename end as file, id
  FROM `images`
) as t
group by f1 order by count(*),f1 desc

count file
1    ReversiSuperior-897.ssd
1    ReversiPro-1904.ssd
1    ReversiMicroPower-1615.ssd
1    ReversiE-1581.ssd
1    ReversiComputerConcepts-1165.ssd
1    ReversiBeebug-2966.ssd
1    ReversiAcornsoft-968.ssd
1    Reversi-2990.ssd
1    Reversi-2944.ssd
1    Reversi-1471.ssd
1    Reversi-1362.ssd
1    ReverseCoins-1470.ssd
1    RevengeoftheToothlessVampire-3018.ssd
1    RevengeOfTheSnowmen2P-1543.ssd

So do you think you can live with a meaningless or confusing number at the end of the filename, but it is useful as it ensures uniqueness, and also allows the same file to be used by the desktop app?

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:02 pm

pau1ie wrote:title-id.ssd

Looks good to me.

pau1ie wrote:So do you think you can live with a meaningless or confusing number at the end of the filename, but it is useful as it ensures uniqueness, and also allows the same file to be used by the desktop app?

Yes.

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:10 pm

Consensus! Hooray!

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Ref:
ReversiComputerConcepts-1165.ssd
ReversiBeebug-2966.ssd
ReversiAcornsoft-968.ssd

I do think filenames would look neater if there was a dash between the title and the publisher if possible e.g. Reversi-Beebug

Then as per my example, I'd rather use an underscore to the prefix the disc no rather than another dash e.g. Reversi-Acornsoft_968.ssd

Does anybody else have any strong opinions either way? ;)

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:43 pm

Arcadian wrote:I do think filenames would look neater if there was a dash between the title and the publisher if possible e.g. Reversi-Beebug

Yes, good idea. That's much more human-readable.

Arcadian wrote:Then as per my example, I'd rather use an underscore to the prefix the disc no rather than another dash e.g. Reversi-Acornsoft_968.ssd

Does anybody else have any strong opinions either way? ;)

Either is fine by me. Actually, I think I'd prefer both separators to be underscores, just in case any of the game-names happen to contain hyphens -- I'm thinking of the admittedly remote possibility that someone might want to programmatically parse the filenames after downloading.

Then again, we might already have stripped hyphens out of game-names, in which case you can ignore this comment and go ahead and mix hyphens and underscores as you see fit.

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:31 pm

OK, now you are making it difficult again (But not impossible)

I can't take the existing file name to do as you are proposing, so I have to use the title, presumably truncated at the first open bracket and with spaces and punctuation removed. Then a dash and the publisher with the punctuation and spaces stripped.

What about when games have more than one publisher?
What about games whose publisher is "N/A"

If someone is going to parse the files with a program I really, really want them to use the metadata which we provide in the spreadsheet. You lose so much otherwise (Release type, Publication year, Author, joystick, hardware, #players, series, compilation not to mention the screen shot) This is part of the reason I am developing a desktop program. The convenience it gives kind of forces people to keep the metadata and the disc images together.

Alternatively, do we just go the whole hog and name each file after its entire line in the spreadsheet file (Yes I am being silly, but it is kind of what tosec tried to do, and that is tricky to parse).

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:37 pm

pau1ie wrote:What about when games have more than one publisher?

Oh, in my mind we would only include the publisher in the filename if there are multiple games with the same title

e.g.
Reversi-Acornsoft
Reversi-Micropower

If the title is unique then no need for the qualifier.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:45 pm

pau1ie wrote:I can't take the existing file name to do as you are proposing

Why not?

Any .SSD filename that currently has the "DiscNNN-" prefix should contain the game-name too: e.g. Disc109-FloodIt.ssd

And I think the game-name will have been stripped of all punctuation by the Perl script that generated it. But I could be wrong.

If I'm right that all game-names have been "cleaned" in this way, then can't you use the game-name from that filename?

:?:

pau1ie wrote:If someone is going to parse the files with a program I really, really want them to use the metadata which we provide in the spreadsheet. You lose so much otherwise

I think I just confused things by using the words "parse" and "programmatically". I really just meant that it would be nice to have the option to do so but I didn't have any specific scenario in mind.

Last edited by lurkio on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:20 am

Why not use the TOSEC naming convention?

We'd have filename such as:
Reversi (1983)(Acornsoft)[cr][h stardot].ssd
Reversi (1982)(Micro Power)[cr][h stardot].ssd
Darkness Of Raven Wood, The (2017)(Rucksack Games).ssd

If used then I'd like to see at least the [h] flag used to indicate the image has been hacked in some way, instructions added, etc. The [cr] cracked flag would also apply to the majority of images but don't feel too strongly about it.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:36 am

Pernod wrote:Why not use the TOSEC naming convention?

We'd have filename such as:
Reversi (1983)(Acornsoft)[cr][h stardot].ssd
Reversi (1982)(Micro Power)[cr][h stardot].ssd
Darkness Of Raven Wood, The (2017)(Rucksack Games).ssd

I'm not totally against the idea but the TOSEC format does seem quite ungainly and over-detailed to me. I like the simplicity of Title-Publisher-ID.ssd or similar.

Pernod wrote:If used then I'd like to see at least the [h] flag used to indicate the image has been hacked in some way, instructions added, etc. The [cr] cracked flag would also apply to the majority of images but don't feel too strongly about it.

The majority of the .SSDs on bbcmicro.co.uk come from Mick's DSD collection, and Mick's ethos when compiling the collection (see the About page on bbcmicro.co.uk) was to try to ensure that every game had been hacked for maximum compatibility and buglessness and/or had instructions added. Therefore we will end up tagging everything with [h], I suspect -- which will render the [h] redundant, effectively.

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:47 am

lurkio wrote:... the TOSEC format does seem quite ungainly and over-detailed to me. I like the simplicity of Title-Publisher-ID.ssd or similar.

Agree (I seem to agreeing a lot with Chet tonight! ;) ).

I also think that year of release should never EVER be featured within filenames (goodness now I sound like JGH :lol: )

lurkio wrote:Therefore we will end up tagging everything with [h], I suspect -- which will render the [h] redundant, effectively.

I am VERY sorry, but... I agree ;)

A 'hacked' flag isn't really viable for the bbcmicro.co.uk archive as 99% if not all images have been modified in some way from the original releases.

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:29 am

Arcadian wrote:A 'hacked' flag isn't really viable for the bbcmicro.co.uk archive as 99% if not all images have been modified in some way from the original releases.

When they are easily downloadable they will spread around the internet thingy. I'd like them tagged so that it's known they don't represent what was originally released. In another 20 years everyone will think that all games came with instructions built in and clean images will be lost in time. I'm currently wading through 100's of ROMs and it's nigh on impossible to determine which are original dumps and which are hacked for SWR or personalised. No-one cared when they were dumped 20 years ago.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:48 am

I'd certainly be interested in the final file naming convention, as I'm currently building the Electron database for the MGC MK II. Although my final database index requirements will be different, the file names, I believe, will benefit from being the same.

I'll be detailing the Index file here once I've progressed further.

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:25 am

Thanks, some good points have been raised.

lurkio wrote:pau1ie wrote:I can't take the existing file name to do as you are proposing
Why not?

Because where the current filename is

Disc090-ReversiMicroPower.ssd

I have no way of knowing where to put the hyphen to differentiate the title and publisher.

Arcadians suggestion of only including the publisher if there are two games of the same name doesn't stop there being two publishers. If you search for reversi the second result has two publishers for example. I think I would prefer a consistent naming convention anyway. The multiple publisher problem can be solved by:

title-publisher1_publisher2-id.ext

the archive should be named bbcmicro_co_uk.zip to make clear where it came from and include the "spreadsheet" so the user has the full metadata. Maybe also a readme, we could just take the about page of the bbcmicro site, which maybe can be amended to note the games have been amended to aid playability?

Edit - Make the filename readable

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:07 am

pau1ie wrote:Arcadians suggestion of only including the publisher if there are two games of the same name doesn't stop there being two publishers.

Are you able to easily provide a list of all the games that have two publishers?

What if, in the case of two publishers, an additional '+' symbol was inserted between publisher one and two?
e.g. Game-Publisher1+Publisher2_566.ssd[/quote]

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:44 pm

Arcadian wrote:Are you able to easily provide a list of all the games that have two publishers?

Yes. And the ones that have three, four and five!

edit: For those who don't know SQL, numpub is the number of publishers that game has.

SQL query: select lpad(t.id,4,0), t.numpub, t.title from (SELECT id, (select count(*) from games_publishers where gameid = g.id) as numpub, title FROM `games` g) as t where t.numpub > 1 order by numpub desc, title asc;
Rows: 351

id    numpub    title
1158    5    City Bomber
1372    5    Have You Lost Your Marbles?
1166    5    Timelapsed (AKA Time Lapsed)
1675    4    Arrow Of Death Part 1
1712    4    Arrow Of Death Part 2
1732    4    Circus
1716    4    Escape From Pulsar 7
1747    4    Feasibility Experiment, The
1660    4    Golden Baton, The
2127    4    House – It's Quite Good, Really
0836    4    HunchBack
1830    4    Pantheon
1777    4    Perseus And Andromeda
1239    4    Power Raider
2638    4    Space Pods! (AKA Space Pods)
1780    4    Ten Little Indians
1671    4    Time Machine
1782    4    Waxworks
1763    4    Wizard Of Akyrz, The
1586    3    Alien Blaster
2027    3    All The Colours Of Darkness
1801    3    Antique Freak
1117    3    Balloon Fun
1333    3    Banana Drama
1516    3    Black Holes
1226    3    Block Blitz
1803    3    Bombhunt (AKA Bomb Hunt)
2054    3    Cells And Serpents
1012    3    City Smasher
2782    3    Conqueror
1371    3    Crazy Ball!
2067    3    Cube Of Zoth, The
1933    3    Drop In (AKA The Fall) (AKA All Fall Down)
1160    3    Entropy
2093    3    Eridan Rescue
2095    3    Escape From Castle Dracula
1464    3    Explosion
1161    3    Fighter Pilot
1680    3    Gateway To Karos
2133    3    Insomnia
1220    3    Loopy Loop
1434    3    Nightmare Park (AKA Nitemare Park)
0986    3    Omniopoly
2176    3    On The Way To The Interview
0769    3    Parachute
1831    3    Percy III: Super Spy
1809    3    Percy's Revenge: Percy's Panic II
2190    3    Planet Of Muton
1112    3    Race Chase
1796    3    Return Of The Diamond
1003    3    Rockfall (AKA Rock Fall)
2207    3    Roundheads And Cavaliers
1241    3    Search & Rescue
1146    3    Snacker
1295    3    Snakes And Ladders
1188    3    Squark
1834    3    Supersonic Snail Racing
0574    3    System Wadgebury
2240    3    Test Of The Turnip
2259    3    World War 1
1260    3    Zedon
1729    2    32K Universe, A
2443    2    3D Dotty
1423    2    3D Noughts & Crosses
0775    2    3D Pool
2023    2    Acorn Adventure
2555    2    ADVENT (AKA Adventure)
2335    2    Adventure
2787    2    Aeronautical Dogfight 1
2696    2    Aircraft Landing Simulator
1711    2    Aladdin
1496    2    Androidz
2034    2    Apocalypse
0181    2    Aqua Attack
2623    2    Ariadne (Joyce's Maze)
0703    2    Astro Wars
0884    2    Atom Smasher (AKA Atom Smash)
0415    2    Atomic Protector
1063    2    Baby Monty (Monty Mole's Little Brother)
1498    2    BBC Mastermind (+Quizmaster)
2038    2    Beastie Adventure
1499    2    Beeb Invaders (AKA BBC Invaders)
2758    2    Beeb Patience
1461    2    Beebmaze (AKA Beeb Maze) (AKA 3D Maze)
2479    2    Blagger
0722    2    Boat Race
1855    2    Bomber Command
1445    2    Break Down
1048    2    Breakfree (AKA Break Free)
0397    2    Breakout
1874    2    Bubble Bobble
2411    2    Bug Blaster
2368    2    Bull Dog Runner, The
1767    2    Bungle Brothers, The
1029    2    Bunny Blitz
2327    2    Cascade Cassette 50
1207    2    Castle Of Nightmares
1786    2    Castle Of The Skull Lord
0922    2    Castles Of Sand
2777    2    Catch 'em
0885    2    Caterpillar
0723    2    Cavern Capers
0650    2    Centipede
1318    2    Charlie Chan Visits The Wock Factory
1517    2    Cheese
1083    2    Chimney Drop
1841    2    Cliffhanger
2630    2    Code Breaker
1518    2    Code Breaker
1641    2    Colditz Adventure
2412    2    Commando
2773    2    Convoy
0814    2    Cowboy Shootout
0454    2    Cred Breaks Out!
2306    2    Crime And Detection Quiz
0925    2    Crystal Castle
2307    2    Dating Game, The
1298    2    Day At The Races, A
0617    2    Diamond Pete
1032    2    Digger
2076    2    Dilithium Station Zero
1769    2    Dinosaur Adventure
1463    2    Dive-Bomber
0331    2    Dodgems
1503    2    Dogfight (AKA Dog Fight)
0492    2    Downhill Racer
2083    2    Dreadnaught (AKA Dreadnought)
0311    2    Drunken Dan
1338    2    Dynamite
2086    2    Easy Adventure
1842    2    Egghead In Space
1356    2    Elevasion
0890    2    Eliminator
2092    2    Engine Failure
1553    2    Escape
1212    2    Exiz
0474    2    Exterminator
2468    2    FireTrack (AKA Fire Track)
2009    2    Fishing
0959    2    Flappa Catcha
0834    2    Flash
1284    2    Football Krazy (AKA Footer)
2469    2    Fortress
1053    2    Four In A Line
1215    2    Four In A Row
2447    2    Frak!
2302    2    Fun Games
0546    2    Galactic Invasion
1750    2    Galadriel In Distress
2113    2    Games Of Strategy
2114    2    Garden Quest (AKA Gardenquest) (AKA Grisley Gardens)
0335    2    Ghost Hunter
2506    2    Ghouls (AKA Ghoulies)
1789    2    Gnome Adventure
2117    2    Golden Fleece, The
0693    2    Golf
2470    2    Golf (AKA Birdie Barrage)
1483    2    Gomoku
2357    2    Gotta Go Home
0799    2    Grand Prix
0816    2    Great Wall, The
0946    2    Grebit
2120    2    Green Fingers
2371    2    Growing Pains Of Adrian Mole, The
2521    2    Guardian (AKA Defender)
1610    2    Hangdroid
1357    2    Hangman
1393    2    Hanoi
1862    2    Hard Hat Harry 2: Son Of Harry
0584    2    Haunted House
2123    2    Haunted House
1395    2    Hedgehog
1591    2    HILO
2308    2    History Quiz
2449    2    Hopper
2000    2    Howzat
2450    2    Hunchback
1250    2    Hunger Alley
1411    2    Hunt The Numbers (AKA Number Hunt)
2309    2    I Do
2129    2    I Spy Red
1358    2    Infection
2640    2    Intellectual Hangman (AKA Executioner, The)
1538    2    Invasion (AKA Invasion Of The Aliens)
0637    2    Invasion Force
1806    2    Invatron
2135    2    Island Of Secrets
0655    2    Jam Butty
1143    2    Jason Mason
0116    2    Jet-Pac (AKA Jetpac)
2140    2    Jingle Bells (AKA Jingle Bells Adventure)
0638    2    Jouster
0781    2    Jump Jet Assault
1882    2    Jungle Journey
0873    2    Karate Warrior (AKA Karate)
1772    2    Kidnapped
2690    2    Killer Dice
2451    2    Killer Gorilla
1787    2    Kingdom Of Craal (AKA Palace Of Craal)
0208    2    Knight Lore
0853    2    Knockout
2668    2    Know Your Own Psi-Q
2553    2    Lancelot
1018    2    Lander (AKA Lunar Lander)
0983    2    Laser Range
0656    2    Lawn Tennis
1982    2    LazerChess (AKA Lazer Chess)
0460    2    Leapfrog (AKA Leap Frog)
2152    2    Little Kingdom, The
1396    2    Loopy Loop II
2157    2    Lost Slipper, The
1826    2    Luna Zone
0855    2    Lunar Escape
2159    2    Mad Island
2160    2    Mad Painter, The (Parts 1 To 4)
2776    2    Magic Square Puzzle
0566    2    Manic Mole
1341    2    Mars Lander
2163    2    Martian Adventure
0999    2    Martian Attack
0820    2    Master, The (AKA Karate Kid)
1937    2    Mastermind
1847    2    MazezaM
1467    2    Mine Sweeper
1794    2    Mirror Of Khoronz, The
0857    2    Missile Defender
0985    2    Missile Jammer
0966    2    Money Maze
1468    2    Monster's Gold
2522    2    Moon Raider
1827    2    Moonbase Beta
0462    2    Morfix
0911    2    Mr. Freeze
1110    2    Munchman (AKA Munchy Man)
2310    2    Music Quiz
2169    2    Mutiny In The Mansion
2171    2    Mystery Of Silver Mountain, The
2454    2    Network, The
0317    2    Nightshade (AKA Night Shade)
0515    2    Nutter
2636    2    Octagram
0295    2    Omega Probe
1237    2    Omegas
1058    2    Omniscient
0875    2    Orcrest
1829    2    Overdrive 2002
1808    2    Pac-2000 (AKA Pac Y2K)
2434    2    Pandemonium
2543    2    Paradox (AKA Timeslip) (AKA Time Run)
2179    2    Party
1489    2    Patience
1021    2    Pipe Loonacy
1629    2    Pirate Adventure
2188    2    Plague Planet
2192    2    Please Find My Young 'Uns
2662    2    Pontoon
2778    2    Prikkomani
1145    2    Pursuit Ship
1292    2    Push-The-Bale (AKA Push The Bale)
0859    2    Q*Bix
0916    2    Q-Man
2196    2    Quest For The Gobal
1779    2    Quest, The
1688    2    Questprobe Featuring Spider-Man (AKA Spider-Man) (AKA Spiderman)
1630    2    Questprobe Featuring The Hulk (AKA Hulk, The)
1706    2    Questprobe Featuring The Human Torch And The Thing (AKA Fantastic Four Part 1, The)
2647    2    Racer
1559    2    Reaction Tester
1614    2    Red Alert!
2201    2    Reluctant Hero (Parts 1 and 2)
1362    2    Reversi
2673    2    Reversi
2693    2    Reversi
0917    2    Robot Attack
2726    2    Robotank
1131    2    Roller-Invaders
2313    2    Royal Quiz
0194    2    Sabre Wulf
0770    2    Saga Of Erik The Viking, The
1187    2    Satellite Havoc
1708    2    Savage Island Part 1
0268    2    Savage Pond
2314    2    Science Fiction Quiz
1999    2    Secret Diary Of Adrian Mole Aged 13¾, The
0679    2    See Emily Play (AKA Emily)
2457    2    Sentinel, The
1758    2    Shipwreck
1811    2    Shipwrecked (AKA Ship Wrecked)
1851    2    ShipWrecked II: Jupiter 3 (AKA Ship Wrecked 2)
2420    2    Sitting Target (AKA React)
0681    2    Skramble
1133    2    Sky Pilot
1455    2    Slatter
1379    2    Slay The Dragons
0718    2    Smarty Berty
0069    2    Snake
1598    2    Snap Dragon (AKA Snapdragon)
0625    2    Solitaire
1200    2    Sorcerer's Domain (+Editor)
1419    2    Sorcerer's Domain II (+Editor)
0427    2    Space Bandits
1599    2    Space Blaster
1364    2    Space City (AKA Force Field)
1833    2    Space Monster From Planet X (Invasion Of The)
1852    2    Sparse Invaders
0376    2    Sphenisciformes
1472    2    Splash!
1691    2    Staff Of Law, The
2765    2    Star Commander
0823    2    Star Fighter (AKA Star Fighter Pilot)
1582    2    Star Force Seven
0556    2    Starquake (AKA Star Quake)
2458    2    Steve Davis Snooker
1668    2    Strange Odyssey
1652    2    Super Gran: The Adventure (AKA Supergran)
1669    2    Super Spy Flint (AKA Super Agent Flint)
1150    2    Swan Trap
1975    2    Tank
0825    2    Tanks
1114    2    Tapeworm
2730    2    Target Practice
2715    2    Temple Of Evil
1258    2    Tetriz
2315    2    Theatre Quiz
2343    2    Time And Magik Trilogy, The
2242    2    Time Switch
0880    2    Trackman (AKA Trackman Game)
0863    2    Trainiac
1887    2    Trank
1043    2    Treasure Rally
1277    2    Tron
0287    2    Turbo
2246    2    Tythy Grammar
1815    2    U.S.S. Endeavour (AKA USS Endeavour) (AKA US Invaders)
2459    2    Video's Revenge
1654    2    Voodoo Castle
1836    2    Vortex
2532    2    W.A.R. (Game 1 Only)
1854    2    Wall Wally
2254    2    Warlord, The
0808    2    Wee Shuggy
0378    2    Wendy Goes Walkies (AKA Wally Goes Walkies)
2255    2    West Quest 1847 (AKA Westquest)
0306    2    Wet Zone (AKA Arcadia)
0882    2    Winter Wonderland
0809    2    Woks
1672    2    Woodbury End
1619    2    Wordmaster (AKA Word Master)
1816    2    X*L*C*R: Squiggly Snake II (AKA XLCR) (AKA X.L.C.R.)
2477    2    Yoyo!
2460    2    Zalaga
Last edited by pau1ie on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:46 pm

Arcadian wrote:What if, in the case of two publishers, an additional '+' symbol was inserted between publisher one and two?
e.g. Game-Publisher1+Publisher2_566.ssd

Yes, that can be done.

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:58 pm

pau1ie wrote:
Arcadian wrote:Are you able to easily provide a list of all the games that have two publishers?

Ah sorry for not being clearer - I meant, can you also include the identities of the publishers for games with more than one?

leenew

Postby leenew » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:07 pm

Arcadian wrote:
pau1ie wrote:

Ah sorry for not being clearer - I meant, can you also include the identities of the publishers for games with more than one?

Uh-Oh! This is where me and Arcadian are going to disagree.. #-o

Lee.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:25 am

pau1ie wrote: include the "spreadsheet" so the user has the full metadata
Sure you've thought of it already and not sure it helps with m(any) of the requests, but as well as the .ssd there could be a .meta with the metadata in it. You just want to fire up the .ssd, off you go, you want the extra data, look in the corresponding .meta (or .xml or whatever).

Acornsoft_Arcadians.ssd
Acornsoft_Arcadians.meta (all publisher details, year, author, genre, blah blah blah)

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:09 pm

Arcadian wrote:Ah sorry for not being clearer - I meant, can you also include the identities of the publishers for games with more than one?

See attached file. Publishers are + separated.

richardtoohey wrote:there could be a .meta with the metadata in it.

What is the advantage of doing it this way to having a spreadsheet? I like the spreadsheet as it can be opened and searched in a spreadsheet, web browser of even a text editor. There is only one file to parse, which is more performant than opening ~3000 files.
Attachments
gamesWith2orMorePubs.zip
(11.82 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:19 am

pau1ie wrote:What is the advantage of doing it this way to having a spreadsheet? I like the spreadsheet as it can be opened and searched in a spreadsheet, web browser of even a text editor. There is only one file to parse, which is more performant than opening ~3000 files.
I was thinking of programmatic parsing, but I suppose there are libraries these days that will handle spreadsheet formats ...

My suggestion shot down in flames ... :cry: :-({|= :wink:

crj

Postby crj » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:12 pm

If you're wanting to represent tabular data (as opposed to genuinely wanting to incorporate formulae, graphs, etc.) there's a lot to be said these days for using sqlite instead of CSV, XLS or whatever. It's industry-standard, robust, fast, portable, etc. If you want a GUI, there are GUIs for it, but it's also way easier to query at the command line and/or programmatically than a spreadsheet.