search and alternative versions

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
pau1ie

Re: search and alternative versions

Postby pau1ie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:11 pm

lurkio wrote:whether you could also change the banner

That should be relatively easy to do so long as everyone is happy with the text you suggest. I don't have an opinion really, though I do see what you are saying.
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

crj

Postby crj » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:07 am

If going that route, I'd suggest "Complete Acorn BBC Micro 8-bit games archive".

Being pedantic, I believe the A3x0 and A3000 were also "BBC Micros".

Being practical, these days people need all the help they can get finding BBC Micro stuff without hitting irrelevant BBC micro:bit material. )-8

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:49 am

Personally I think it's fine as is - the shorter and catchier the better.

The url contains the 'micro' portion of the nomenclature, which should make it clear enough to anybody within the retro circles (which are the target audience really).

And there will already be a bunch of links to the site around the net that references the current branding; I don't think it's worth out-dating these just for the sake of it.

The titles of websites shouldn't have to descriptive - Stardot is a good example. Which do you think are the better titles - 'Lemon 64' vs 'Lemon Commodore 64', 'World of Spectrum' vs 'World of Sinclair ZX Spectrum' etc.
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug NORTH (Manchester) (19-21 January 2018)
ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:50 am

Arcadian wrote:... the shorter and catchier the better ... The titles of websites shouldn't have to descriptive - Stardot is a good example. Which do you think are the better titles - 'Lemon 64' vs 'Lemon Commodore 64', 'World of Spectrum' vs 'World of Sinclair ZX Spectrum' etc.

Well, now you mention it, I've always thought that "Complete BBC {Micro} Games Archive" sounds more like a strapline or a subtitle or a description than a really great name for the website. Doesn't trip off the tongue. And I was hoping we could come up with something snappier for the actual name or "brand" -- maybe something that is (or is derived from) the name of a Beeb game, like Stairway To Hell.

I did come up with a list of possibilities, but I'm not sure I kept it -- I'll have a look later. But I do remember that "Palace of Magic" was one of them. Oh, yes, and "Witch Space" or "Witchspace" was another one!

But perhaps this is all a bad idea because there'd be no lexical connection between the new site name and the domain name (bbcmicro.co.uk) at all!

(Btw, even if we do decide to go for a snappier rebranding, we should probably still keep "Complete BBC {Micro} Games Archive" onscreen to explain the site to new visitors, at a glance...)

Anyway, what do other people think..?

:?:

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:48 am

The important thing is to be found by search engines - a descriptive title is a big win there.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:25 am

BigEd wrote:The important thing is to be found by search engines - a descriptive title is a big win there.

Could still be achieved with a title of "Palace of Magic -- Complete BBC Micro Games Archive" in the banner and in the meta tags of the webpages.

I envision the banner having the snappy title in large text ("PALACE OF MAGIC" or whatever), and the "subtitle" in smaller text just under it ("Complete BBC Micro Games Archive"):

PALACE OF MAGIC
    Complete BBC Micro Games Archive

:?:

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:25 pm

I don't think palace of magic adds anything. No search benefit. No tie in with the URL Doesn't really describe what's going on. But I don't care that much.

I think what we have missed, and this is common, is a description of what the site is for in the about section. I mean we don't say it is for the Acorn 8 bit BBC Micro computer, probably with a link to the relevant wikipedia page. How about this:

In 1981, as the result of a request from the BBC, Acorn Computers released the 8 bit BBC Micro computer. This was used in most schools in the UK, and many of us who were at school during this time remember the computer fondly.
Over the last few years...

I'm not sure how stable links are on the BBC website. Maybe I should just link to the main page. What do you think?

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:52 pm

Certainly worth mentioning it's an 8 bit micro from Acorn. I'd probably make 'request' the link, not 'BBC'.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:45 pm

pau1ie wrote:I don't think palace of magic adds anything.

Just to be clear, "Palace of Magic" was only an example.

pau1ie wrote:No search benefit .. Doesn't really describe what's going on.

Neither does "Stairway To Hell" but it's still a great name for the site!

pau1ie wrote:But I don't care that much.

Neither do I. I'm just kicking ideas around. I'll be happy with whatever consensus we eventually come to -- even if that's to keep what we've already got and to change nothing.

pau1ie wrote:... How about this:
In 1981, as the result of a request from the BBC, Acorn Computers released the 8 bit BBC Micro computer. This was used in most schools in the UK, and many of us who were at school during this time remember the computer fondly.

I'd say "after winning a contract from the BBC" rather than "as the result of a request from the BBC". Also, it should be "8-bit" (with a hyphen).

pau1ie wrote:I'm not sure how stable links are on the BBC website. Maybe I should just link to the main page. What do you think?

Quite stable. I think that deep-linking to the BBC website is fine.

:idea:

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Hmm .. Stairway To Hell contained all manner of content - not just games but utils, music clips, hardware reviews, magazine scans etc ...

Whilst the Complete BBC Games Archive is ... well, a complete BBC games archive. Nothing more, nothing less. It does exactly as it says on the tin and now that the original scope has now been met I really don't see any point in adding a token title like POM (or similar).

My 2p.

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:23 pm

lurkio wrote:"Palace of Magic" was only an example.

lemon64 and stairway to hell are both URLs. bbcmicro.co.uk is our URL and in my opinion superior to both the other examples. I think adding another name/strapline just adds confusion. But what do I know...

OK, so does anyone else like this?

In 1981, after winning a contract from the BBC, Acorn Computers released the 8-bit BBC Micro computer. This was used in most schools in the UK, and many of us who were at school during this time remember the computer fondly.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:32 pm

Arcadian wrote:Hmm .. Stairway To Hell contained all manner of content - not just games but utils, music clips, hardware reviews, magazine scans etc ... Whilst the Complete BBC Games Archive is ... well, a complete BBC games archive. Nothing more, nothing less. It does exactly as it says on the tin and now that the original scope has now been met I really don't see any point in adding a token title like POM (or similar).

Someone or other mentioned a couple of good reasons not long ago:

Arcadian wrote:... the shorter and catchier the better ... The titles of websites shouldn't have to descriptive - Stardot is a good example.

I was just trying to come up with something short and catchy. So if someone's looking for a particular game, we can ask them, "Have you checked Palace of Magic?" (or whatever name we actually decide on) rather than "Have you checked the Complete BBC Games Archive?"

I just can't help thinking that the former's shorter and catchier than the latter. But, as I say, I don't want to try and force this through because the main arguments against it are (i) the domain name (bbcmicro.co.uk) is already established, and (ii) no one has suggested any short, catchy titles yet that anyone seems to like. So, as I said, I'm happy to drop this crazy idea if it's not gaining any traction.

pau1ie wrote:OK, so does anyone else like this?
In 1981, after winning a contract from the BBC, Acorn Computers released the 8-bit BBC Micro computer. This was used in most schools in the UK, and many of us who were at school during this time remember the computer fondly.

Looks good to me.

UPDATE: Oh, except maybe the link should be the words "winning a contract" (or "winning a contract from the BBC") rather than "BBC".

:idea:

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:19 pm

Some things:

1. Updated the about page to include the text as agreed.
  2. Changed search and the site to display all games, i.e. not hide the child versions any more.

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:58 am

Hi all, I completely understand the reasons for ditching the Post-2000 release category but it would be really good if there was still a clearly-visible way to display the newer games with a single click/press (persuading folk to even try 'modern' retro games can be such a challenge, so the more accessible we can make any new games, the better). Might it be possible to include a 'Post 2000 releases' button in between the Search and Random Game sections on the right hand side?

Also, is it possible to force the index page to be reloaded in full each visit, even if the browser's back button is used? (To avoid the same 'random' game being loaded again). I've a feeling this topic might have been discussed before - apols if it has.

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Arcadian wrote: it would be really good if there was still a clearly-visible way to display the newer games

I incorporated this idea into another idea I had

Arcadian wrote:o avoid the same 'random' game being loaded again

I think the best I can do is point at a page that generates a random URL, then does a redirect to a game. This way the home page doesn't need to be reloaded as it doesn't have the random number in it. I will have a think.

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:03 pm

Arcadian wrote:To avoid the same 'random' game being loaded again

This works now. I am pretty pleased with it - should have done this ages ago!

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:44 pm

Yep, the 'randomiser' is working very nicely now thanks Paul!

Return to “bbcmicro.co.uk”